Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondelle_gw

Good place to get habanero seeds?

blondelle
9 years ago

My local Home Depot no longer sells them. I ordered some from Amazon, and it turns out the seller ships from China and I might never get them as per other reviews. Is there a reliable seller on Ebay or a place with good seeds online that doesn't charge much for shipping? We tried to plant some supermarket seeds but nothing came up. Don't know if they were sterile or it wasn't warm enough to germinate. Thanks much!

Comments (19)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Lowe's carries them, I believe. But, I'm sure somebody here can send some for a SASBE. I would, but I don't grow them anymore... Don't care for the flavor.

Kevin

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

This late in the year you might want a plant rather than seeds. Check any big box store - or many supermarkets - for racks of new pepper, tomato, and herb plants. They have habaneros among others.

Dennis

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Agreed... just saw some at Lowes the other day. These were plain orange habs. Even Walmart had a few in their garden department. Im sure other nurseries had some too.

Better to get plants this late in the game. Now if you want specialized habs, you can order some plants online. A little more expensive.

Good luck with your hunting.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 15:45

• blondelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. They are for planting in a glassed in sunny terrace. It's still too chilly though on the window sill to start seeds. I usually start the seeds even later. No access to Walmart or Lowes in Manhattan. Was hoping for a good online source or good ebay seller to order them from. Thanks anyway! Is it possible hybridized habs could be sterile?

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

I don't get it. Amazon lists over 550 habanero seed items. They all get bad reviews?

• HotHabaneroLady
    9 years ago

In addition to what others have said, you could also go to the grocery store, buy some habaneros, take out the seeds, and plant them. That was how I started my habanero growing.

Depending on where you are, you might or might not be too late to start seeds. I'm still starting seeds (but not habaneros). I have a long enough growing season that I can expect to get a harvest, albeit late in the year. But it will be late. Whether that is possible or desirable for you will depend on where you are.

9 years ago

I agree on just getting PLANTS. Especially for as something as common as Habaneros. They'll be so much farther along than if you started by seed.

Screw Amazon and ebay for seeds. There's many reputable places online to order. Peppermania.com, pepperlover.com, tomatogrowers.com, Johnnyseeds.com to name just a few.

Kevin

• HotHabaneroLady
    9 years ago

It all depends on what you want. If you want fruit ASAP, then definitely get the plants. If you are like me and having them grow from seed is a big part of the fun and the whole point of doing it, then start from seed and be ready for a late harvest. I've started habaneros as late as May and still had full harvests. They just started way later than other people's. :)

Gardening rules are meant to be broken. :)

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

There are MANY sources to buy them as Kevin listed above. Really though, if your local stores sell them it's as easy as planting the seeds within them (so long as their ripe), and you get to eat the pods you bought! I'm not the best with growing regions, so the advice of others is where you should turn for that one. (I am in FL, so most of the rules don't apply here... Hell, I planted tomatoes in Nov last year and their holding mighty strong)

Jay

• kentishman
    9 years ago

I saved seeds for the standard orange Habanero. Send me your address and I'll put them in the mail ASAP. If you want, I'll put a few in a damp paper towel so they can start the process of germinating and save you a couple of days.

Tom

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I wouldn't trust the common eBay seed purveyor, but I trust me and I am selling seeds on eBay. (Well, "selling" is a word expressing hope not fact since I haven't actually sold any yet.) Item # 271439925981.

Dennis says "5 stars. Check it out!"

• obchili
    9 years ago

I have seeds for a Caribbean Red Habenero I saved from last years harvest. You are welcome to some of these if you are interested. Mine are growing rather nicely already from the same seeds.

• blondelle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your kind offers of seeds. That's so thoughtful and kind. They had some good deals on habanero plants plants from Hirt's Gardens on Amazon. Annoyed the shipping was so much less on their website. Oh well! I thought they would ship them out when it was warmer though. I'm in zone 7 and it's still in the 40's at night and these are tropical plants and they are coming from Ohio. They said I could refuse them if I was concerned. Should I because of the cold?

I will see if I can reorder later in the season when it's warmer. 4 plants in a 4 pack are $5.99. They are small though. Habaneros seeds might need a heat mat to germinate them which we don't have. Had luck before but not last season. I might take you up on your kind seed offers, and send you a SASE to put them in. Thanks again!

9 years ago

Blondelle: That's not a bad price, but a lot of folks get theirs from Cross Country Nurseries. Minimum 6 per order, but they'll ship when you want, you can mix and match, and the plants are gorgeous from what I've seen. More than what you'd spend at Hirt's but they have a great reputation. Not that Hirt's doesn't -- the ladybugs I ordered from Hirt's were fine.

Kevin

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

It may still be too cold to set them out, but you can leave them inside for a while, no? Set in a bright window or under fluorescent lights an inch or two away.

If you're going to be ordering 4 or 6, why not mix in a more interesting variety than habanero? Them you can buy in the supermarket. Try something unusual.

Do you want them to eat? for ornament? Like hot?

Dennis

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Other than HD and Lowes, check Sample Seeds Shop online. They have about 1/2 dozen Habanero types. The price per pack is around $1.25. The best deal around . Shipping will cost under 4 bucks for small orders.

• willardb3
    9 years ago

Seyson

All habañeros are cap chinense
    Not all cap chinense are habañeros

• johns.coastal.patio
    9 years ago

In a similar vein, I wanted to grow some Thai chilies like the ones at the Thai market. I bought the only "Thai" I could find at Lowes (Burpee Big Thai Hybrid).

It dawned on me a week later that I should have just gone to the Thai market.

Lesson learned.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Seyson

All habañeros are cap chinense
    Not all cap chinense are habañeros

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I did not say they are.

Sample Seeds Shop has several kinds of HABANERO.
    orange, red, and white. They ALSO have other HOT and SUPER HOTS like ghost

Sponsored
Landmark Surfaces / United Granite
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Award Winning Countertop Fabricator & Installer in Northern Virginia