Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swissmiss4u76

First year gardener needs help-when to pot-up?

swissmiss4u76
10 years ago

Hello all,

I am a first year gardener. I started my jalape�os peppers on the 3rd of March, in coco peat.

They have been under lights and heat since. I have my heat lamps set up in my bedroom in the basement. (maybe 50-ish temperatures)
They were super slow to germinate. Most of them do not have any true leaves yet, but as you can see in the photo, the roots are growing out of the coco peat pot.

Should I up-pot them yet? Or hang out an wait? They haven't seem to made any progress in the last week in growth.

Can same one suggest a good store bought mix to up-pot?

Thanks a lot!
Ursula

Comments (8)

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Normally they shouldn't be repotted this early, but you need to cut those peat pots off. They will take some of the roots with them, but if you don't the roots can't develop properly. Plunk the exposed root balls into larger (3-4") prepared pots.

You want to go into a potting *mix* (not potting soil). There are several good ones at varying price points. Miracle Gro Moisture Control is common (I used it in Georgia; I'm not sure that I like the Texas version as well, and yours may differ too).

Now what is this about heat lamps? Are they your primary illumination? They provide a poor spectrum for photosynthesis. Common fluorescents are much better for that. Yet heat lamps do help to keep the temperature up, so leave them on?

Please tell us more about your setup.

And WELCOME.

Dennis

• swissmiss4u76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the help!
    Oops...little typo-it was suppose to say heat pads and lamps, not heat lamps.
    I have a larger table, on top of it a 4 foot fluorescent light stand, and then just the regular heat mats.

:)

Thanks again,

Ursula

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Once they've germinated you want to get them off the heat mats and under "daylight" CFLs. Wet them down and carefully peel off the peat pots, separate the plants and pot individually using the potting "mix" as recommended for the tomatoes on the other forum.

Though I don't see a "pot" in the picture?

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

Your plants look really stressed. Maybe it's because you are keeping them so cold? I think it would be better to keep day temps above 60 degrees. I've never seen stems that were blue like that. I started my peppers, including jalapeños, on March 15, and they all have at least one set of true leaves. I definitely think you should not use heat mats after germination. How close is the light? If you're using fluorescents, they should be no more than 2 inches from the lights.

• swissmiss4u76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the help!
    Oops...little typo-it was suppose to say heat pads and lamps, not heat lamps.
    I have a larger table, on top of it a 4 foot fluorescent light stand, and then just the regular heat mats.

:)

Thanks again,

Ursula

• swissmiss4u76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

With the "pot" I meant the the coco peat (including the peel).

I was told the purple can be pretty normal with growing plants, it's called Anthocyanins.

I have repotted them in a planting mix and they are back under the lights. We shall see how they will fair :).

Thank you all for helping me :).

It's greatly appreciated.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I totally missed the temperature. I would think that the lights and mats have been keeping them warm enough, though once you take them off the mats you might need to drape something to keep the little bit of heat from the lights in.

You're right that sometimes the stems will be purple - I've got a lot with purple stems (though not the jals) and mine are in 67-degree room.

I started mine March 15 as well, the jals were a little slower than some of the others so don't have their first true leaves yet but yours should be now - I do think that either the cold or possibly wet roots, rootbound (?) might have been keeping them back but once you repot they should start growing.

• swissmiss4u76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did leave the heater on in our bedroom over night tonight (not used to it, so I was sweating...lol) to make the transition for them a little easier. I will leave the cups on the heat mat for a couple of days or so. It is suppose to warm up this week (temporarily) to almost 70, so I am hoping the basement won't be as cold.
    So far, they are alive and not showing any signs of distress. Let's hope they start growing :).

Thanks again,
    Ursula

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor