Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unexpected temperature dip !

Posted by rodnebridges 7b (rodnebridges@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 11:55

Sigh...the weather has been wonderful for the past two weeks here and I got out of the habit of obsessively watching the weather channel. Lo and behold, it freakishly dipped down into the mid 40's last night and some of my plants are looking very droopy this morning. Has anyone else experienced this type of misfortune ? If so, how did it work out ? How long will it take for them bounce back ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unexpected temperature dip !

As long as your plants have been hardened off, a night or two in the forties shouldn't be a big deal. I think your okay until it dips below forty. They should be just fine when they warm up.It was 40 here last night and my plants seem fine.
Good Luck!

Tim

o

I was wondering the same thing. I'm in the Raleigh NC area and it's supposed to be in the low 40s tonight (maybe 39 depending on which forecast). I'm wondering whether to bring my (many) pepper seedlings in tonight. I don't want them to be stunted.

o

2 1/2 hours later and the sun has shone directly upon my plants and now I can't tell anything has happened ! they look like they always did, i'm gonna bring them in tonight though, a similar dip in temps is predicted.

o

I brought the babies in last night when it got down to 44°F or so and this morning the others were droopy. I watered them just in case and the afternoon then are up and waving in the (considerable) breeze. No harm done.

I wonder what the droopy is about, though...

Dennis

o

that droopiness had me worried, but they bounced right back as soon as the sun came out good. I may have done dire things if all my ghosts and such had died !! I put SO much work into them this year ! today the temperature is moderate and they are looking good ! we worry so much, but as someone always seems to point out, these plants are amazingly resilient. I think these little stressful things make the peppers hotter in the end !

o

Exact same thing happened to me last night. I forgot to bring in the four pepper plants I have in pots. According to the weather records, the low for us last night was 33 degrees. Only one of the peppers was affected (droopy leaves), and as soon as the sun came up, it started looking more and more like nothing had happened.

I thought for sure that they would all be dead, but I guess some peppers are more cold-tolerant than I gave them credit for. I won't forget to bring them inside if the temperatures dip again, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here