Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scorpiongrower

Dying seedlings

ScorpionGrower
9 years ago

I need help with diagnosing what's wrong with my peppers The leaves are curing toward the middle of the plant I am very new to this and I have never grown peppers before right now I am currently growing trinidad moruga scorpions trinidad butch T's and bhut jolokias All of them was doing fine until it got really hot In the house and I am not for sure if its the heat that did it or not

Comments (11)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Heat, drying out? How are you controlling the situation?

Josh

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

See that white stuff on the side of the hockey puck? That is mold and it probably is affecting the seedlings' roots. I bet you still had the dome on the little "greenhouse"; you're supposed to take it off once the seeds germinate.

There's a couple ways you can go now:

* Soak the affected hockey pucks in 3% hydrogen peroxide. That will kill the fungus but could harm the plant (never has hurt mine). That won't reverse the damage but is worth a try.

* Cut them out of the hockey pucks, gently shake or wash off the infested dirt and plant into fresh, preferably sterile, potting mix. That will be traumatic to the plant unless you're very careful.

* Start over, this time without the hockey pucks.

Any of these options resonate?

Good luck,
    Dennis

• gardenper
    9 years ago

When I saw the picture, I thought it might be a bit dry. Watering from the tray may have gotten the bottom wet but it may not be wicking up to the top, where the shallow roots are currently.

The white cloth material on the outside looks dry imo.

• ScorpionGrower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I watered them and they seem to be uncurling a bit and I took them out of the dome and put them near the window the instant they sprouted the rest seem to be doing fine

• ScorpionGrower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was told to be easy on water because hot peppers don't like being over watered, do i need to water more frequently?

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

These were at day ten or eleven. I soaked them every single day, then drained anything not absorbed. Two seeds each resulting in only three singletons. Never covered with anything, full outdoor sun, and 75 degree underheat. There is NOTHING wrong with peat pellets.

• ScorpionGrower
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ill water daily then thank you all for the help what about fert? when do I start fertilizing them and what do I use I was told 5-10-10 once after you transplant them and once after flowers show up.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Begin fertilizing as soon as they have true leaves.
    Use a higher Nitrogen fertilizer - definitely not a 5-10-10.

Josh

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

That's not mold? Good! Looks like you've got it covered.

Don't leave them in the hockey pucks too long. Right now the roots are growing FAST.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Cold weather: to START them, you're right...there's nothing wrong with them. Once they get a set or 2 of true leaves, they should, however, be put into something that drains much better.

Kevin

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    9 years ago

That advice about not watering peppers too often applies to full grown plants in their forever homes. Seedlings and young plants in small pots need to be kept from drying out. Many people have trouble with those "hockey pucks." I agree that you should get them into soilless mix in a larger pot as soon as they recover from whatever is causing them problems now. When you move them you'll need to pull off or gently cut through the outside of the white covering so the roots can escape.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm