Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

Bhut Seeds from esox07

Hello:

I just found out that the seeds I had sent out to probably a dozen individuals this spring labeled as Bhut Jolokia were probably a variety of Naga pepper instead. I had assumed they were true Bhuts as I purchased the original seed from Pepperjoe.com. Never again. I grew three "bhut" plants last year and it seems only one of the three was actually a Bhut Jolokia. Not good odds from a commercial site.

I had posted pictures of my pods several times last year and no one picked up on it until I posted another picture this year. They informed me that the one plant I had of the three that I thought was a cross was actually a Bhut and the other two plants were Nagas. I guess I assumed the lone plant was the rouge plant.

But I am very sorry if you are growing my seed expecting Bhuts as you will be more likely to get Nagas. Believe me, they are still hot as heck.

Again, very sorry,

Bruce

Comments (54)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Edymnion:
    Nope, I dont think I sent you any of my Bhut Seeds unless I sent them when you sent me the Mutant Halloween seeds. But I dont think even then.
    Bruce

• Edymnion
    12 years ago

Nope, someone was nice enough to send me some bhut seed back in late February. Good, means my frankenpepper will indeed have bhut mixed into it. =)

• lorabell_gw
    12 years ago

I like capomans review of the Naga you did send! This is my first year of 'Hots' and I haven't started any 'extremes' yet, but if you still have any of that dreaded non-bhut seed around I would be grateful to get a few.
    Patrioticcrafts@aol.com

Laura

• daisydawnny
    12 years ago

Whatever they are I have 10 happy healthy seedlings! And I am very thankful for your generosity.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lorabell: You got mail.

Bruce

• simsedward
    12 years ago

DAMN IT!! I got my seeds about five years ago from pepper Joe's....and I have been harvesting seeds and keeping them on hand. I hope my plants are actually jolokias or I am going to feel like a major zero.

• simsedward
    12 years ago

Well, let me have it...if anyone can ID my pepper, please do. I have thought I had Jolokias for five years now....

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    12 years ago

Hi Simsedward the skin is too smooth to be a Bhut Jolokia, what you have are Naga's

Here is a link that might be useful: GW post with pics of Bhuts and Nagas

• User
    12 years ago

simsedward,

I'm not sure one way or the other from your pictures. I have found that pods can vary somewhat on the same plant and on multiple plants from the same seed source.

Regardless folks, don't get too wound up over Bhut vs. Naga. The Assam Jolokia varieties are all killer hot and have very similar flavour profiles. Yes, some of you have a more refined palette than I but I would have a hard time distinguishing between them.

JMHO

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yah, simsedward: Looks like Pepperjoe hoodwinked both of us. I am guessing with the immense popularity of the Bhut the last 4 or 5 years, they had run out of true Bhut seed and sent out something that the average joe wouldn't be able to tell the difference on.

Never again will I buy seeds from pepperjoe. But like they say, they are still hot as all heck and I cannot tell the difference either heat or taste wise anyway.
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Sims: I thought it was bad that it took me a whole year to find out that I didn't have True Bhuts. 5 years? LOL.

I guess that it just goes to show you that when they are that hot, it just doesn't really matter any more.

• chile_freak
    12 years ago

not to cast dispersions on any of you,but though I find the heat similar the flavor is very different in my opinion. not as different as a 7 pot and a bhut, but nonetheless different. as to the fact that pepperjoe sent you the wrong seed, it is an inexcusable but unfortunately all too common occurence. However, in this case as I said i think u made out on this one, cuz as much as I love my bhuts, I love my nagas more!
    -paul

• don555
    12 years ago

No problem Bruce, I'm sure I won't be able to tell the difference anyway. But I agree that if you buy seed from a source that specializes in pepper seeds, you should get the correct type of seed. My main concern with PepperJoe is that I've found the seed to have fairly poor germination -- this spring's hot pepper seeding only had 6 of 18 seeds come up. My sprouting area is cooler than recommended which no doubt plays a role, still 1/3 germination seems low. He does carry a nice selection of seed though...

• simsedward
    12 years ago

I have used this pepper for so many things and I truly enjoy it....and I will continue with it for sure. I am very disappointed though for several reasons...primarily boosting to everyone about my ghost peppers. Joe and I are done with.

• User
    12 years ago

simsedward,

No email option on your profile?

Send me one via my profile.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hahaha, I sent Pepperjoe an email with pictures of my two peppers that I grew with his Bhut Jolokia seeds. This is what he said "The 2nd photo looks like the Bhut Jolokia or ghost...it is longer.
    Can't be sure on the first...but I'd say 7 pod.

Bruce

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    12 years ago

Ha ha! Funny, maybe order 7 pod's and you might get a Bhut or Scorpion!

• rwaters
    12 years ago

I got most of my seeds this year from pepper joe. No super hots though. Will let y'all know which don't come out true to form.

-Vaughn

• scotty66
    12 years ago

Bruce,

Your generosity is still very much appreciated... I have about 6 happy plants growing like weeds. finally after a slow start.
    I have a few friends lined up who are wanting to eat whole pods... sounds like these naga's won't disappoint.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep, they are plenty hot. Only the most discerning fire eaters would be able to tell the difference, I imagine.
    Good luck,
    Bruce

• Jon_dear
    12 years ago

thinking it won`t matter either, when you`re at about a millon scovilles ... with the tears in their eyes they won`t actually SEE the pepper... :D

• scotty66
    12 years ago

I'm excited to see what they will be like... it's worse than waiting to open christmas presents. What is it, 3 months to go and counting?

gonna have to change the name tag to Naga.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Looks like you have two plants growing there. They both looks nice.

Bruce

• marclocas
    12 years ago

Hey Bruce, don't worry about sending the wrong seeds! This was more than generous from you! I will love them as much as bhut Jolokias! And thanks again!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. Glad no one is too disappointed. If anyone else wants some more, I am willing to give out a couple more. Be advised that they seem to be some kind of Naga. If anyone wants some, just email me off my member page.

Bruce

• don555
    11 years ago

It's been over 4 months since anyone commented on this thread, so I don't feel too bad about shifting direction here. What is the growth habit of these peppers? Bruce sent me some seeds but I don't think I can grow them outdoors with any success since I'm in zone 3. So I thought it might be an entertaining winter project to grow them under fluorescent bulbs and see if I can get any peppers to set and ripen. Space is limited under indoor lights and light levels are low and concentrated close to the lights. So my question is, how do these plants grow? How tall do they get? Do they grow narrow and upright? Short and bushy? Ideally they will be short and bushy, but if not, how well do they respond to pruning to make them bush out?

Seemed kind of weird to plant these for my indoor winter garden in early-mid July with it 90 degrees outside, but I think an early start is needed and hopefully I'm early enough. Anyway, here they are after almost 6 weeks, so I'm wondering whether to prune the leaves to force them to branch out, or just leave them alone and let rootbound pots keep them short and bushy?
    "http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">

• Armageddon
    11 years ago

i would not let them root lock to much that could also cause death to your plant if you want to keep them shot and busy best is to top them then when the side branches get a bit long top them also and it should do well but i would use larger pots for sure .

• scotty66
    11 years ago

Bruce,

thought i would update this old post with my final harvest. had to bring the plant inside on our first freeze last week.
    She has has been growing in a self water 5 gallon bucket container. Summer got a bit harsh for her but she reovered well enough when fall came.

Here she is, in the house, safe from frost.

I picked off all the remaining peppers before cutting off most of the branches for overwintering.

Too be honest, I am not a big fan of the pepper's flavor eaten raw, I find they have a funky / musty taste. But they are awesome in salsas though and I'm hoping to get a dehydrator soon for long term storing.

I look forward to seeing how my overwintering experience pans out (the plant is already starting to put out new growth like crazy). For next season i manged to get ahold of some butch t scorpions, and chocolate Jamaican habaneros.

Thanks again,
    Scotty

• don555
    11 years ago

Thanks for reviving this thread. I don't know if these are really Nagas, Bhuts, or something else, but I do know they are frighteningly hot. I snipped and ate small pieces of the pepper from the bottom (cooler) end of the pepper, and that pushed me pretty close to pain threshold. I've gone beyond that heat with other peppers before, but never with such tiny pieces from a single pepper. I've grown 3 of these plants under lights this winter, and I can't think of anything to do with the peppers except to dry them so they last and are available for some future use, or maybe just for seeds and a regrow.

Here's some peppers I picked from my 3 plants under flourescent shop-lights recently, with a 25-cent piece in there to show scale. This is some truly furious heat in a hot pepper...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, well well, glad you guys had a good time growing them out. They certainly don't look like Bhuts for you guys either even though that is what they were advertised to be. But I agree with don555, they are hot as heck. I am not a fire eater but I know they are in that range of "too hot for me to tell how hot".

Scott66: looks like yours got nice and big like mine did. I don't know about your production but they put out hundreds of pods per plant for me. I had an early harvest and then got some later ripe ones but some of the plants had well over 100 pods on them still green when my season ended. Not that I could ever use that many anyway.

Something interesting about the pods your guys both grew out is the ones that are shorter, smoother and kind of "strawberry" shaped. I don't remember those. Here is a photo of some of my peppers from the original plants:

• daisydawnny
    11 years ago

Wish I had taken pictures of my plants from the seed Bruce sent. They were a bit bumpier than the ones pictured. Mine took a beating from the tornado we had so I did not have a huge harvest. I made several batches of salsa with them and it is the most awesome salsa I have made yet. Hubby calls it his football food. I will grow more this year. Looking forward to trying some new varieties this year. Have been cruising the net and catalogs looking for new exciting types to grow. Thank again to Bruce!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Daisydawnny.
    Glad you enjoyed them. Hope next year's batch turns out good too.
    Bruce

• robeb
    11 years ago

I also received naga seeds from Bruce. We had one hell of a heat wave here this summer but those nagas kept hanging on.

Here's a shot of some pods from my final harvest in November:

Thanks again Bruce, much obliged.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad to hear the seeds were put to good use and did so well. Everyone is welcome.
    Bruce

• gfinnil
    10 years ago

Just found this thread and would love to try these, if anyone has any seeds for sale please let me know.
    Jerry

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Jerry, I don't know of anyone on here that sells seeds, we either trade or give them free. I haven't collected seed yet this season, but I can send you seed I collected last year from Bhuts, nagas, scorpions, douglahs, and a bunch of other superhots. or wait a couple of months, and there will be all kinds of seed floating around on here. if you want seeds from last year just email me your address . John

• don555
    10 years ago

Digging up this old thread....

At first I coudn't have cared less what kind of seeds these were as long as they were super-hot, but as time went on my curiosity began to burn (pun intended).

After hours of searching the Internet to eliminate/retain any reasonable possible matches, plus comparing online photos to the peppers I personally harvested from these seeds sent out by Bruce a couple years ago, I am now almost 100% convinced that they are Dorset Naga peppers.

• clee22
    10 years ago

Bruce you are too kind! I don't think anyone would hold it against you but seriously ty!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Don, I know I've posted this before, and I hope no one minds me posting again for reference/comparison. Hopefully this will help put a name to those pods. Here we have Naga Dorset and Naga Morich, which are both incredibly similar. Morich top, Dorset bottom, if I remember rightly.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hahaha, glad to see those seeds have been the source of so much speculation for so long.

Bruce

• don555
    10 years ago

Josh: Lol, that photo was actually one of the ones I used to clinch the identification once I had narrowed it down to either Dorset or Morich. You posted the same picture at the start of August in a different thread (link below), but then you said the Dorset were on the top. And they definitely look more like the ones on top than on the bottom. Unless you have reason to believe your initial photo back in August was mislabeled, I'll stick with the ID in the original post and say Bruce's seeds are Dorset Naga.
    -Don

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg0817423214463.html

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Geez ! It happened 2 years ago. Plus everybody who got the seeds is happy. Leave the guy alone for pepe's sake! : LOL

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Don, thanks! Yeah, it's possible that I could be misremembering now....or mislabeling before. I'll post a pic of a handful of Naga Morich....in that handful, I think I recognize some of the pods from the top of the previous pic.

Josh

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

This thread needed a "BUMP" Because of great info & fantastic pixs!

• User
    9 years ago

Haha
    Those are some good pictures, I planted naga jolokia, as well as red bhut this year.,..hope I labeled them right
    Randal

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Next season gotta have some Naga. Final answer. :-)
    They look awesome . Thank Bruce for propagating the seeds (by mistake. hehe).
    This year I have Trinidad Scorpion Butch T. My first super hot ever.

Seysonn

• Edymnion
    9 years ago

You ordered seeds from Pepper Joe?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Many years ago. First year growing peppers. Last time though.

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

I like thm a lot , Bruce. Give me some seeds next year. I am fully booked for this year. :-)

Seysonn