Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sustained some cold/frost damage

Posted by chisey TN (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 12:04

So, we had three straight sub-40 nights last week (the lowest being around 33). I covered my 9 pepper plants with plastic buckets overnight and removed them in the morning (about 7am, before work). I didn't want to leave them there because the sun would have baked them in those buckets, but I suspect they could have sustained damage in the hour or so before the temps started rising.

By the last day, all 9 plants showed some signs of damage, but 3 or 4 were much worse than the others. My habanero and cayenne look the worst, with nearly all leaves turning a purplish color and wilting. The stems look fine on all of the plants, though, so I'm hoping they will pull through. If not, I'll just replace the ones that don't make it.

Is there anything I could/should do in the meantime to help the healing process? Should I clip off the damaged leaves or anything?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sustained some cold/frost damage

Leave them be.

o
RE: Sustained some cold/frost damage

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 12:49

Yep, I would leave them be. If it is simply some cold damage, they will rebound nicely. Clip leaves but only if the leaf itself dies. I am confident that your plants will be fine and a week or two from now, they won't show any signs of cold exposure.
Bruce

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here