Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harleysilo

New to hot peppers, so what is everyones antidote to the burnnnnn

harleysilo
17 years ago

So the majority of our plants are green yellow red and purple bell peppers, some bananna peppers however we have planted Jalapenos, which make me cry like a little girl. Have also planted some Chipolte and Habanero's for a friend who loves hot peppers. So what are everyones tricks to subdue the burn, you know like when one of your friends says I'll try it and then can't take the heat???

Comments (25)

• web_of_hair
    17 years ago

Time....

• nuggs
    17 years ago

Eat MOAR peppers.

• ardnek710
    17 years ago

I like the burn, that is why I grow and eat the peppers......:)
    Otherwise, Time is the only absolute way to get rid of the burn...:)

kendra

• tigerb8
    17 years ago

LOL The point in growing Hot peppers is to get the Burn!!!!

ButchT

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

Milk.

• shelbyguy
    17 years ago

you planted jalapeño AND chipotle? neat trick! post pics :)

Ice Cold Beer. Milk and other dairy products are scientifically proven to reduce the effect, but there's just something about the heat of a chile and the chill of a beer.

• harleysilo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"you planted jalapeño AND chipotle? neat trick! post pics :)"
    Your joke went over my head, but I can post pics....

Peppers on the right

{{gwi:13856}}

And a row through the garden...

{{gwi:1152573}}

• willardb3
    17 years ago

Dairy products work well as does salt. Sprinkle salt on your tongue and let it sit.

• debtro
    17 years ago

yogurt.
    try raita (from india) ... yogurt mixed with chopped cucumber and a dash of salt n' black pepper.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

harleysilo,

Very nice setup!

shelbyguy is just funnin' you a little bit. It may have said chipotle on the seed package, but first comes the jalapeño and then you smoke them to get chipotles.

I can never remember what comes first... the ancho or the poblano. Senior moment thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chipotle

• harleysilo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HAHAHA, I see, jokes on me! Well, that was an interesting read, I red some eariler to try and figure out what was meant, and thought red jalapeones were a different variety, not ones that had just been left on the vine all season. Smoking them sounds like it could be fun, but smoking them for days sounds a bit work intensive....I guess you could take breaks during the process....

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

harleysilo,

I've smoked a lot of pepper varieties. And I mean a lot. (hard to keep them lit though) It's almost impossible to equal the non-bitter flavor of the chipotles bought at market.

And I make a lot of powders too. Some of my best blends are made by dehydrating store bought chipotle in adobo sauce and then kicking up the heat a little with habs, rocotos etc.

jt

• ardnek710
    17 years ago

nice raised bed. I like it and the trellis next to it. What else are you planting in it? What are the little rows just germinating?

KENDRA

• kj_57701
    17 years ago

I've just come to the conclusion that beer, water and other things like those just spread the Capsaisin around and only give very temporary relief. If I've eaten a pepper that surprised me, then I just let it burn until the pain go away. I don't drink anything when munching raw peppers anymore (unless before the fact or some time after).

I've tested my theory with at least beer, water and pop and even if you're chugging liquid constantly for 5 minutes I know by now that I will pay for the "mistake" no matter what (oh well, easy burden to bear, really!)

Oh well! :) Dang, this makes me hungry! Where did I hide those Habs? :)

• hendrik_vanderdekin
    17 years ago

jalapeño's are hot???? I thought they were like Pepperochinni's...You know like candy, eat 'em by the handfull for a snack.

Try a fresh ripe Purira or a Rocoto sun warmed right off the vine. Hooo boy!

• harleysilo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wait I still don't get it some of you grind up dried peppers and put them in a tobacco pipe and smoke it? Seriously? What's that like, a little harsh no doubt? Or do you smoke it in a water bong, wait you are all gardners so you probably just grab the nearest apple and smoke it in that! Or I bet with a little knife I could make a piece pipe out of a long skinny pepper!

Thanks for the compliment Kendra. So far we have the 9 pepper plants you can see, half a row of snap peas behind them and a half of the same row planted with green beans, which the trellis will hopefully support if it's tall enough. Scattered around we have some of the white radishes that grow like a carrot. Then rows of carrots radishes lettuce spinach, a couple strawberries and several cucumber vines that I will train to the fence surrounding the garden... I think I planted too many peppers, but I can give them away I'm sure.

• hendrik_vanderdekin
    17 years ago

Don't smoke them like dope...Not good, probably like snorting Wasabi (Green powdered Japanese horseradish) which is also a very, very bad idea.

When we smoke peppers we smoke them like fish or meat so we can eat them.

Some carry the process of smoking to drying and then grinding into a fine powder to use as a condoment for fiid like salt.

Don't smoke peppers like cigaretts as they would probably kill you.

• tigerb8
    17 years ago

The cigarettes, or the peppers, or both? LOL

ButchT

• hendrik_vanderdekin
    17 years ago

Probably better off huffing the peppers, that darn tobacco will kill ya. (Grin)

• harleysilo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Got it!

I thought all the heat might have gone to some of youralls heads.....

So Is there a good link to instructions on smoking peppers. I'd like to preserve some this year, dry them out, to have for cooking and to make my own crushed red pepper.

• falsedawn
    16 years ago

From the Annie's Salsa page (link below), here's one set of instructions on drying peppers for crushed and ground red pepper:

* Posted by Earl SW Ohio 5-6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 21, 05 at 21:10

Brenda,
    I grow my own jalapenos and let them turn red, and if they have [corking] lines on them, it's said that's very good. I take peppers, cut off ends, de-seed, put on smoker rack and smoke for a few hours, then I put peppers in dehydrator and dry until very dry, so they crumble/flake when ground in a coffee grinder.

If you want pepper flakes, just don't grind them as long as you would for a fine powder. And when you do this (typically use a cheap coffee grinder, and don't use it anymore for coffee!) either open it outside after grinding, or wear a facemask or other protection... breathing in fresh-ground hot pepper is not good!

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Salsa

• ronnywil
    16 years ago

I have heard that something sweet counteracts the burn. In Thailand, where they love spicy foods, PepsiCola is the most popular soda because it is sweeter than Coke and thus relieves the burning.

• byron
    16 years ago

Try tomato/V8 juice to relieve the Burn

ButchT, Loved your cajun shrimp, F'n awesome

• wintergaarden
    11 years ago

I pour granulated sugar on my tongue til it goes away.

• leafericson
    11 years ago

My 10 year old wanted to try a fresh Ghost pepper he took one bite and ran to the fridge; guzzled milk, ate yogurt and finally ate two tablespoons of butter. Pretty sure that did the trick :)

Eric

Sponsored