Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mchalebrent

How to grow pepper plants from cuttings?

McHaleBrent
10 years ago

Hello I have been looking around on gardenweb to see if anyone else posted anything about this but I couldn't find anything. I know it's still to early to grow plants outside here, but this summer I want to take cuttings off my hot peppers that I am going to order, and grow more of them over the winter because they need a long growing season, and in ny the growing season isn't that long. Right now I have peppers growing from seed and they are growing, just slowly, and next year I want to have good size plants to put out next spring. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Brent

Comments (16)

• ab2008
    10 years ago

I'm not sure about cuttings, but from what I gather from other posts, most people just take the original plant, prune, and re-plant into a container for overwintering. And I'm not sure if cuttings work the same for peppers as tomatoes, but if it is, then it's as simple as putting it in some water till roots form and transferring to soil.

I myself, if I was going to overwinter - I'd just pull up the whole plant at the end of the season, and move it into a 5 gallon container or something.

Hope someone chimes in that does a lot of overwintering and can give you a better answer.

• Edymnion
    10 years ago

I personally have never successfully gotten a pepper cutting to root.

• robeb
    10 years ago

Seems there was a thread about this subject last season. If I remember correctly, Bruce and a few others ran some experiments with cuttings.

You might try to search or perhaps someone else will remember the particulars of that thread.

• cjohansen
    10 years ago

The last thing I need right now is more plants, but that got me really curious to try, teyo :)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I would try teyo approach as I know water will not work or if it does it takes longer than I care to wait. See my post previous GW post.

Bruce was able to successfully root a cutting and have it grow. Maybe he can comment on the method he used.

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Clippings/Cuttings

• pepper_rancher
    10 years ago

I have cloned peppers before, its pretty easy. One thing Ill add to the previous posts is using a rooting powder (or gel) will increase the chances of the cutting taking root. I used it and it was very successful, but its not required. You can get it at walmart or wherever, and 1 jar of the stuff will probably last a lifetime because you dont use very much of it. Im going to make a youtube video of the process this year.

• McHaleBrent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank all of you guys for the comments, I think I am going to try Teyo's idea and ill use some rooting powder. This summer/fall I'm going to try to start them. And I'm gonna grow from seed and see which is quicker, and see if cloning is a good idea.

Brent

• pepper_rancher
    10 years ago

Cloning is definitely faster than growing from seed (assuming you have the cuttings)... Good luck!

Definitely try it, its fun and you will learn something new!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yah, I tried three cuttings last year and got one to root and grew it out during the summer. Some have gotten them to put out roots simply by putting the cutting in a glass with water. I am trying that right now. I had to trim my Orange Tree Hab about three weeks ago and decided to drop the cutting into a glass with water. So far, no noticeable roots but it is still as green as ever, maybe even growing some. I will let it go until it either dies or puts out roots.
    Bruce

• Tiarella
    10 years ago

I tried cuttings without success but it may have been the variety I tried.

If you have space with a window (i use a corner of the basement between 2 windows) over-wintering is easy. I prune each branch back by two-thirds and water each plant once a week with a glass of water. The plants will drop most of their leaves, and I pinch off any flower buds. Then I have adult plants the next spring.

• bigoledude
    10 years ago

Many pepper growers are starting to "top" their pepper plants when very young to make them bushier. One guy in particular "rooted" his tops that he had cut off of his young plants. They grew into beautiful pepper plants!

He used a rooting hormone and he added mycorrhizae to his cloning mix. His mix, I believe, was sphagnum, perlite and vermiculite. Keep it moist, not soggy and, use the bag with a rubber band until you see roots. A clear cup with holes melted through bottom and sides, helps with visibility and drainage but more importantly, aeration.

I am gonna buy some of this mycorrhizae. The results have been impressive according to the folks that are using it.

• willardb3
    10 years ago

Cuttings will propagate in water only and I do it all the time. Don't need gel, just a little patience.

Cut an axillary branch and put it in a glass of water......wait.

• kelli
    8 years ago

It's absolutely possible to get pepper cuttings to root in water. I did a post about it here with photos of my process.

• HU-186615799
    5 years ago

It is easy and faster to grow prapper from cutting you need to follow some methods

1 once you cut it avoid from direct light and also not in a dark place

2 change the water daily

3 keep the cutting somewhere not too hot not too cold

4 use as many cuts as you can to have more success

this method worked for me

I start to gardening 6 month ago I love it thanks and sorry for my bad English

Reza from London originally Iranian

• Tastie Cereale
    3 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I can't find anything to explain what my cutting is doing: i've taken several cuttings from my bell pepper plant. Some I put in water, others in potting mix. The ones in the mix developed roots and are now small plants. None of the cuttings in water have developed roots.

Before developing roots, the ones in the potting mix developed buds and a couple flowered. The flowers died and dropped. The ones in the water have recently started developing buds. One flowered and somehow has developed a fruit! I don't know how this is possible when the cutting has no roots. How could a cutting without roots develop fruit??

Sponsored