Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

Are these seeds ready to plant in small containers?

thebutcher
11 years ago

Hey all,

I decided to transplant my cayenne peppers into potting mix today and wondering if this was a good stage to do it? The seeds took aprox 15 days in ziplock and wet paper towels to get to this stage. The mix is MG Organic Potting mix. I filed the trays with the mix and losened the soil on top and just rested them below the soil with root going down and watered them.

Also now that I planted them i the trays below, do they need to be under grow light at around 65-70 F or do they need more heat at about 80-85 F? I state these temps because they are in my basement and one part of my basement has the grow light and the other is near a heat supply.

I had good luck before with MG organic potting mix for seddlings, so decided to get again. It was $10 for 32 quarts at one of the large stores. After they get to the right stage should I plant them in 3 or 5 gallon containers? I will do more research on the mix to use but I read on the forum Promix BX & Fafard 52?

Thanks all in advanced,

Mr Beno

This post was edited by thebutcher on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 15:31

Comments (14)

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

I've never used the paper towel method, but I would say put them into some soil. It looks as though they have germinated. I think if you plant them now, you should have good results. Good Luck!

Tim

• growsy
    11 years ago

That is how I did my peppers this year - sprouting in damp paper towels then potting up in soil. I put them into a mix of potting soil, garden soil, & seed starting mix. I did that because it is what I had & it was cheap, but it worked well. I threw the seed starting mix in there because the other two were pretty heavy. Mine went into solo cups then stayed in the kitchen till they sprouted (above the soil). I don't have lights or heating pads, but the kitchen stays around 70. When they came up they went straight outside because I'm in a warm climate & I don't like hardening off! They were a little slow growing at first because the weather cooled off about then, but they are starting to grow quicker now.

Make sure you plant the seed coat a bit under the soil so hopefully you won't have too many helmet heads. You can get some off with scissors. I think it helps, too, if the soil stays moist on top - then the seed coat is soft. I didn't have much trouble with damping off - I lost a handful to that & a handful to helmet head that cost the seed leaves, but I still have more peppers than I can fit in my space.

Don't know much else - this is my first year really growing peppers. I've purchased a bell plant or two in the past, but largely lacking in experience. Good luck!

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Yep. Moisten the starting mix, create a small dimple in the soil for the tap root, place seed gently, cover with about 1/4" of more damp soil, cover with some plastic wrap or throw in a drawstring trash bag, place on heating pad at 85F, and then check daily for emergence. You shouldn't need any more water than the damp soil until emergence.

As soon as they emerge, place under lights about an inch above seedlings.

Good luck.

Kevin

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

Very nice looking healthy sprouting seeds.

You got a lot of good information now. My suggestion here is choose the right seedling soil.

Good luck
    Caelian

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone, I put them about 1/4 inch and mositened them and put them back on heat and put the tray inside a jiffy starting dome. I used MG organic potting mix (that is all I had on hand). I used this previously when I did my bell peppers and tomatoes right after they popped in Jiffy pellets so I think it should be ok.

I wish I had bought some seed starting mix but too late now. On the bright side I have about 15 more in a plastic zip that are begining to show an initial root pop out.

I will keep this thread updated as to what happens and how long it takes them. Also if anyone wants to know what I use for a heat source...

It is an old computer that produces heat especially from the exhaust fan so I lay my Jiffy tray on top of it when doing pellets with air from the exhaust fan blowing and I also hang the zip locks bag right next to the exhaust fan and enclose it all with a trash bag. It gets pretty warm and my guess is about 80-90 F. It feels as warm as a cable box.

Thanks again all,

-Mr Beno

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

When I move to soil I take them off the heat. They grow at room temp. They do fine. I would worry about fungus at high heat.

As soon as they emerge they will want light.

Dennis

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dennis, your right about that fungus, I put them in the dome and a few hours ago I saw the white fungus starting to emerge, I cleared it off the best I could.

I also noticed that 3 out of the 6 are starting to pop up a little now so I took them off the heat and put them under the T-5 Grow light.

I will updat the photos tomorrow. Thanks again everyone!

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is an update 5 days after planting the popped cayenne seeds. The first one emerged aprox 1-2 day after. I notice the helmet on one of them as well.

I planted my Large red cherry peppers that popped 2 days ago and am seeing nothing yet, but I believe I dug them a tad depper and they did take about 10 days longer to sprout.

Thanks again all,

-Mr Beno

This post was edited by thebutcher on Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 15:13

• chilliwin
    11 years ago

The soil looks wet but I am not sure, sometimes picture are different from the fact.

Good luck

Caelian

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just sprayed the top of them with a water bottle sprayer, I forgot to mention that before I took the photo. I need to get that helmet off the middle one as well I think.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

I have found that using a jet stream with my spray bottle helps with helmet head. Then I gently try to dislodge it with a sewing needle.

Kevin

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

If you are getting lots of helmet head seedlings, you need to plant your seeds deeper. Forcing their way up through the soil is what dislodges the seed case.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again all, the helmets popped off like very easily, I used a safty pin and and slid the suckers right off gently, And I can see how planting them deeper would slide them off.

- Mr Beno

• growsy
    11 years ago

Congratulations on your peppers! I planted a bed out a week or so ago & keep going & looking. Not a lot of change yet, but their roots looked good when I took them out of the solo cups. They hadn't filled it, but some reached down to the bottom.