Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phildeez_gw

Protect or no?

Phildeez
12 years ago

It is about 50-53 outside and it just started raining a bit. Do i need to protect my guys in the ground? I did not want to cover them because it is not that cloudy and I want them to get the light.

I do not know the effects of rain on the temperature of plants.

Thanks much! I am letting them get some rain for the time being.

Comments (10)

• noinwi
    12 years ago

If they are just tiny seedlings, I'd protect them if the rain is coming down hard. If they have some size and you've hardened them off, they should be ok. The soil should keep the roots warm enough.
    More info about your plants would generate more responses, ie, how long have they been in the ground, their size, your location/zone, etc.

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good call, noinwi, I did not fill you guys in at all! The plants range from 6 inches to a foot and have been in the ground, covered at night, for a few weeks. But the clouds were hauling ass and the rain has already let up, and the sun just hit my window as I was typing this!

Sun it shinin' Weather is sweet!

I was worried about wind chill combined with rain, not really sure how wind and rain interact with plant/soil temp. Planting early is stressful!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Still raining up here, and cloudy as all hell....

During the first month when my plants are in-ground, the constant moisture usually causes
    the leaves to yellow slightly...but they recover by June. Slugs are a bigger problem.

To protect my plants, I use waterjugs (Alhambra) as cloches for the first few weeks.
    On at night, and during wind/rain, and off during the day.

Josh

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh, sorry to hear that, looks like the clouds might be rollin in again here but I am not worried because the air temp is up a lot. Davis is only at about 50 feet above sea level so I am sure our nights have been warmer than yours over the last few weeks. Been getting down to high 30s and low 40s, but not in my garden. Urban gardening has its advantages.

I have been using a big piece of frost cloth over the whole garden at nights. I have Christmas lights on under it so I get a cool rainbow light tent effect when its dark! Accumulates a surprising amount of warmth, too.

I snail baited early, definitely an issue here too.

-Phil

• taz6122
    12 years ago

Some of you are getting a little too free with your words. Phildeez I hope you were talking about the clouds hauling donkeys but I don't see how that's possible and that's the only instance that word should be used. Anyway your post is going to the staff.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Yikes!!!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Too free with my words?
    Maybe I should be charging folks.... ;-)

If I offended anyone with my outrageous use of "hell," I beg pardon.
    I guarantee it's the last time I'll direct a word your way.
    Cheers,

Josh

• Phildeez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am sorry if the word offended you or anyone else. It is allowed to be used on daytime broadcast as regulated by the FCC, and I did not realize it could harm anybody. I will avoid further use, and I hope everyone has a fantastic day!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

No problems here. I had to go back and try to find out what Taz6122 was referring to. I am pretty conservative by nature but found nothing that hurt my feelings in this thread.

• MeLikeOkra
    12 years ago

I wouldnt sweat it if I were you. Once again, taz is being a self rightous jerk, with no right to speak to anyone about how they converse, especially after NUMEROUS insulting comments made to others by the same said person. Taz, you have useful and insiteful input at times, other times, you really need to go crawl back in your hole.