Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

transplanting peppers to bigger pots (started outdoors)

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

I've searched google extensively before posting this, but most transplant related pages refer to bringing them out from indoors, but they don't help me because I started my peppers outdoors. by that I mean I put the seeds in small pots and left them by my garage in the shade until they sprouted, then moved them to where they get full sun.

what I am wondering is how long do I wait before I move my peppers to bigger pots? they are in pots that are roughly 6" deep and 3-4" diameter (not all uniform pots, I took what my father in law gave me for free).

I have 4 ghost pepper sprouts, 3 scorpion pepper sprouts, 5 thai bird pepper sprouts (which are doing great! I don't really consider them sprouts anymore), and 2 tabasco pepper sprouts (these were given to me by a friend who was killing them due to poor maintenance, and I don't expect them to live but I'm trying anyway).

they're potted 2 per pot so far, and I repotted 2 of the pots yesterday (seedlings broke the surface a week and a half ago) because in both pots one of the seedings was within a half inch of the edge of the pot (not where they started, but heavy watering when they were fresh must have rearranged them). I was very careful when I repotted them.

but the ones I'm really wondering about are the thai peppers. they were the first to sprout, and are currently 3-4" tall, and all but one of them has its third set of leaves out. how long do I wait before repotting them? I know peppers like deep roots. also, is it ok when I repot them to keep 2 peppers in one large pot (roughly 3" apart), or do I need to split them up into 1 plant per pot?

also when should I begin using liquid fertilizer? I hear a 4-8-8 liquid fertilizer is ideal, is this true?

planting them in the ground is not an option because I will be moving in a few months and plan to take them with me, but as I understand it peppers don't mind pots.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County