Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do peppers suffer from inbreeding depression?

Posted by neohippie 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 13:16

If I only ended up with one or two plants of a certain pepper variety, can I save seeds from it? Or should I just give up on that idea and try to get more seeds from someone else?

I know tomatoes do just fine with inbreeding, but I don't know if I can make assumption that all nightshades are the same way.

I'm not especially worried in this particular case, because I can get more seeds some other way if it turns out I don't have enough plants, but I'm working on perfecting my seed-saving technique in case some day...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do peppers suffer from inbreeding depression?

Most plants do suffer from inbreeding, but it takes many generations. Nothing to worry about for 4 -5 generations. The old folks called the phenomena "running out" and it was fairly common before WWII. Easily avoided by adding unrelated plants to the mix every 4-5 years.

o
RE: Do peppers suffer from inbreeding depression?

Ok, that doesn't sound so bad then, as long as I'm not the only person who's growing this variety (which I'm not). That will at least give me enough time to figure out if I really like this variety anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here