Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

my plants

judo_and_peppers
9 years ago

Here's a picture of my crowded garden. not pictured are the 3 trays of seedlings in need of potting up, and 5 overwinters off to the side.

the far row is overwinters, the middle row were started in december (started outdoors, so they spent over a month stagnating as seedlings in the cold), the closest row were started in february.

the december plants are looking a bit like hell right now due to the aphid problem that went away last week when I unleashed another swarm of ladybugs on them, but they're gonna bounce back, because peppers are peppers.

one of the bhuts set one pod already, and I think one of the brain strains set a few, but I'm waiting to see if they're still there in a few days before I break out the champagne.

the big one in the foreground is an overwintered 7pot chaguanas in need of potting up.

in the background you can kinda see my little raised bed which is full of herbs that are growing like they're on steroids, and also my enormous curry tree plant that is now flowering.

life is good.

Comments (23)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Wow, really well developed!

Josh

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Wow, very nice plants!

Dave

• Chad5
    9 years ago

Looking good Judo, thats a nice little garden you have there!

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I decided after getting 7 more plants potted up today that I needed a more inclusive picture.

as of now I have 48 plants in pots, 5 more in solo cups, and 18 more in seedling trays. slowly but surely I'm getting there.

I need a bigger yard. I have a buddy who is gonna let me move some plants to his yard when they get too big for mine.

the scary thing is, I intend to keep planting more! a pepperhead's work is never done.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Lookin really well, the OW's are perfect looking.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Looks nice, Judo. You are well prepared to go professional. You'll have the raw materials you will need.
    Good luck !

• jifjifjif
    9 years ago

Well done, Sir. Looking great.

• maple_grove_gw
    9 years ago

What a happy sight to see. Your yard looks like such a mellow spot. And nice looking plants!

Alex

• gardenper
    9 years ago

Plants look great!

How about going vertical with some of the plants?

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

please, define what you mean by "going vertical." I am very interested in anything I can do to squeeze more plants into this small area.

thanks for the support everyone.

• rodnebridges
    9 years ago

go go Judo !!

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Nice Job Judo! I like the addition of some Marigolds this year. Try to sneak in some Alyssum and Zinnias too. Herbs -- Dill, Parsley, Cilantro, Lavender.

:)

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 1:19

• seysonn
    9 years ago

please, define what you mean by "going vertical."

%%%%%%%%%%%%

There is a thread (Very interesting one) in "Container Gardening" forum , on vertical gardening. Worth reading.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Nice plants and set up. I've got some "curry" trees, and am wondering if there's any use for the black berries produced after flowering? They're full of seeds, but I've never tried to propagate from'em, only used the volunteers that come up in the pots.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Nice.

I too wanted to hear about vertical gardening.

You would have to think on how to get creative with peppers since they seem larger than what others grow, but I think it could be done.

Here is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vertical gardening

• mswiggi
    9 years ago

Very lovely!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

You would have to think on how to get creative with peppers since they seem larger

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    One way is ti hang them from a tall structure, at multiple heights.
    Another is to make something like book shelf. but both sides open. So, you can have one group on the ground and two groups(or more) on the shelves. You can design it partially stepwise.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

...just noticed - what is your hose feeder hooked up to? That contraption in the bottom left of the pic, that appears to be covered with a trash bag.

Jay

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Kind of what I was thinking too Seysonn. Sort of like a step bench. You should be able to triple the space if you do it right.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jutsfl, that's just a trash bag sitting on top of my hose. I really shoulda neatened up the yard a bit before I took the picture.

one thing I was thinking about with the whole vertical gardening thing is wait until a plant has grown more or less upright for a few feet and begins to get a woody stem, then garden vertically, but plant it diagonally. but I think I think too much.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

And here I was was too... Thinking too much! I thought you had some device that I needed to know about - it was just a lowly hose in a trash bag though.

But your thought on the diagonal planting made me think of the topsy-turvey planters. Possibly a strong woven tarp coming down from your fences could hold soil - at a 45 degree angle. You would then have to cut circular holes in it to house the plants (or better off to make them before hand). Some cheap plywood would keep the soil in the sides of it - cut in a triangular fashion. Seems you could make quite a few rows of plants this way staggered across the plane of the tarp. ~random thoughts! just figured I'd throw it out there

Jay

• romy6
    9 years ago

Plants are looking good. Anything going from seeds I sent ya ?

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yessir. the sepia serpent, brown moruga, choc naga x brain, reaper, douglah, and orange primo, are all growing nicely. I only got one seed of the white 7pot to sprout though.

I thank you again for sending them.

Sponsored