Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellowing in outside

Posted by scott123456 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 14:33

2 of thirty or so of my plants are turning yellow around the boarders. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellowing in outside

What are the cultural conditions?
Light, potting mix, watering and fertilizing frequency.

Josh

o

They are under t8 lights, I bottom water around once a week, I did forget recently (about 9 days) and they wilted pretty bad but bounced back after watering. I use a 24-8-16 fert that I dilute. The potting mix was just a store bought potting mix with vermiculite, perlite, worm castings and some bio tone starter plus mixed in.

This post was edited by scott123456 on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 20:43

o

Sorry for the " misspellings" posted from my phone stupid auto correct

o

Should I be concerned about this spreading or do you think it's a nut problem ?

o

Looks like fert burn to me. Maybe these 2 plants were a little on the dry side when fertilizing? Just a guess.

Kevin

o

Thank you Kevin that is definitely a possibility. I have never seen fert burn before and a couple of the plants were really crispy I thought I lost them. I wanted to experiment with topping anyway so I'll make these my experiments. If I rinse the mix really good do you think they will survive? Should I remove the yellow leaves?

Thanks again,
Scott

o

Yeah. I think they're fine. Give 'em a good flush and they'll keep on truckin, imo. To prevent future burns, water first, then fertilize shortly after.

I'd leave them...they're still working. it's up to you though-- if the plants have plenty of foliage, then clipping isn't a bad thing.

Kevin

o

You can add a little epsom salt with your water or food. This will add magnesium which peppers need to make chlorophyll (the green stuff in plants.) And it won't hurt.

o

Other than the fact that Epsom Salt increases the overall TDS level in the mix, Terry, which could be the very culprit behind the discoloration at the leaf-margin. Adding single elements is, frankly, unwise, unless there is an indication that the element is lacking.

Josh

o

Josh pardon my ignorance but what is TDS? My plan is to flush very well, which I have done already and lay off the the ferts for a while. As long as it's not contagious I'm not too worried because I probably already have too many plants but id still hate to loose them. I know I have a problem. If they look ok in a week or so these are the ones I'll do my topping experiment on. On the other hand if there is a chance they are contagious Id rather just pitch em to be safe.

o

Hey, Scott! TDS is Total Dissolved Solids, or fertilizer salts and whatever else might be contributed from your water.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here