Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will this work for hot green chile?

Posted by jaggudada 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 14:52

I like hot green chilies. Those tiny ones. So what I did was, I had some red dried hot chilies, I took the seeds out, they looked dry, I planted them in milk jugs and put it my basement, the reason I am doing this is because chilies need atleast 65F to germinate and outside is still not warm and somedays it is going in 35s and night temperatures are still in low 30s.
I'm hoping that this method will keep it warm and moist. What do you guys think? will this work? or should I put the milk jugs outside so when sun ray hits, it will be hotter than what it would be inside the basement?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will this work for hot green chile?

It's hard to say. It depends on how the peppers were dried. If they were dried at too high a temperature, you may not get any to germinate. But, if not, you should get some seeds to sprout.

The warmer the better for germination (up to about mid 80's). I agree, right now, it's too cool outside for germination.

Good luck!

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 17:27

You don't need any light for the seeds to germinate but if you get them to germinate and sprout, then you will need to give them light if you want them to grow from that point on. Either artificial light or sunlight from a south facing window or outside in the real sun.
Bruce

o

Agree with tsheets and esox07, get them upstairs in warmer temps and give them light once they sprout.

As tsheets said, if they were dried in seed survival range, you should be ok.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here