Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jifjifjif

We....make.....holes in leaves........

jifjifjif
11 years ago

That was supposed to sound like the Cavity Creeps from long ago......

What is causing this? These plants are inside my screen room and I don't think I have aphids. There are some tiny baby ants running around on the table the plants are on, but that's it.

Comments (11)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Have they spent any time outside especially at night? Or since in a screened in area maybe something is able to get in from outside.

I get leaf damage like that from slugs, I have plenty in my area and hate when they target my peppers they are good climbers. If you need pictures to compare google slug damage on leaves and you can compare.

Mark

• jifjifjif
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey, Mark.
    Nope. They have not spent any time outside at all. They have been inside the screened porch since day one. And yes, the porch is not 100% sealed tight. The door that leads outside into the back yard has a gap at the bottom that is large enough to let even a lizard in. Maybe I should put a towel down there to fill that gap.

Come to think of it, it is that time of year here in Florida when you can look down at any time on the sidewalks and streets and find many small caterpillars. Perhaps that's what's doing it.

If it's just going to be leaf damage and not truly harm the plant, then I am OK with it.

• cjohansen
    11 years ago

I have several plants with this type of leaf damage, and it's all caused by *drumroll* me! As I move them around, take some to the windowsill, put them back etc, I frequently get leaves squeezed and whatnot. Just throwing it out as a possibility :)

• jifjifjif
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cj, thanks for your suggestion. I don't think this is the case with mine since mine stay in one place all the time, but hey, you never know. I DO rotate the pots almost each day.

• abnorm
    11 years ago

Hey Rich.....over in Orlando we've got some very small caterpillars causing similar damage at night.....during the day I have found mine in the shade under the leaves............doug

• jifjifjif
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Doug. I Have Seen Them Outside Recently. Time To Seal Up All The Cracks In My Screened Porch.

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

Spray with BT/Caterpillar killer.

Green light costs about the same as safer brand but you get a pint instead of 8oz.(or whatever-smaller amount).

Here is a link that might be useful: bt - caterpillar killer

• jifjifjif
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just Spray The Leaves With it?

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

yes.it's a bio thing that only messes with caterpillar type critters.
    Doesn't mess with other stuff,not a poison.

I use it with water I soak mosquito dunks in so it kills more stuff that lives in the soil-gnat grubs etc.
    Can't hurt since the bacteria is specific as to what it kills.

Stuff breaks down in sunlight and gets washed off.I use it whenever I see Loopers etc. here or just see moths at night.
    It doesn't kill adults,just caterpilars.
    Google is your friend - bacillus thuringiensis var. kurstaki( green light brand)

I think Safer is the same stuff.

This post was edited by smokemaster_2007 on Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 0:55

• jifjifjif
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Smokemaster. Will look it up.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Southern AG Thuricide, Safer brand, Greenlight are all BT K variant brands that you will probably find. One thing I have noticed though is that the active ingredient differs among each brand.

Good stuff BT-- effective, very "target" specific, and about as organic as a pesticide can get without having to rely on parasitic wasps.

Good luck.

Kevin

Sponsored