Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rocoto from Peru

Posted by tinley244 (tinley244@insightbb.com) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 15:19

I just got back from a trip to Peru and at the markets around Cusco I asked about a pepper I saw there. The lady called it a rocoto, but it wasn't shaped like the rocoto I know. It definately was not rounded and was at least 4 inches in length. Does anyone know rocoto peppers that are not round.

Tinley244

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rocoto from Peru

Here is a website showing the rocoto from Peru.

http://www.anaperuana.com/2010/06/27/rocoto-chili-peppers-in-arequipa-peru/

Not sure if this is what you are talking about. Looks like they have Black seeds. I am not familiar with them but I might have to try to get some seeds.

o

Wow, black seeds? Never seen that in a pepper before, thats pretty awesome.

o

Edymnion - Yeah, Pubescens have black seeds. Kind of funky.

o

hello,
rjs55555 I looked at those peppers and they are more rounded, not like the pepper I saw in Cusco.
I took a pitcure using my sons camara and the picture is a little blurry but I'm not sure how to post the picture.

tinley244

o

Rocotos ,Manzanos and Locotos come in a lot of different shapes.
Photobucket doesn't like firefox update right now so I can't post pics...

o

just like pretty much all peppers the pods show variations, none of the peppers on my 2 red rocotos last season were round, there were more elongated not saying they looked like the ones you saw in peru, but they werent round, and yes all pubescens that i've seen have large hard black seeds

o

I am from Peru and rocotos are "roundish" and have black seeds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here