Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Observed sun and heat tolerance of pepper plants?

Posted by KudosFromUdo 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 15:37

I was kinda curious of your pepper plants heat tolerance, so I can figure out what peppers to plant for next year.
Here are my observations so far this year with what I have:

I put all my plants 6 weeks ago outside in full sun when they were between 4-8" tall. Temps finally started getting into the 90s this week and today it is supposed to reach 102F.

Doing fantastic:

Chiletepin
Jalapeno Grande
Ghost(Craigs rough strain)
Chile de Arbol
Royal Black

Doing ok, but had to move in partial shade this week because they were starting to sunburn:

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Bueno Caribe(Wejito)
Chichen Itzo(except for one that seems do be unnaffected by sun)
White Bullet Habanero

Did not like the sun at all and had to move in the shade 3 weeks ago:

Manzanos(red, orange, & yellow)

Almost all the peppers(de Arbol, Ghost, Orange Hab, Hot Peter, Pasilla, Poblano, White Bell, Orange Thai) on one side of the house survived the winter even though it got down to 27F, are bearing fruit and are still loaded with flowers. The only peppers on the other side of the house that survived was a miserable looking ghost pepper, my two Bolivian Rainbows and an unidentified giant 4+ foot, small fruited hot pepper plant that I didn't label

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Observed sun and heat tolerance of pepper plants?

u must be in phx.....do you have them in the ground or in pots the only ones i have shaded are the chiltepin everything else i have in full sun yesterday my red hot cherry had a little wilt but perked right up once it got cooler i have all the usual suspect thai hot, habanero, carribean red, jalapeno, anaheim, numex big jim, thai dragon, chile de arbol and seranos all in the ground in full sun most r well established though (over a year old) gotta love perrenial chile plants....

o

I am in the Palm Springs area(slightly hotter than Phoenix). I have everything I grew from seedlings this year in 1 gallon grow bags. I plan on transplanting everything into the ground next week when its supposed to cool down a little bit. I already have a rowed area set aside for them but its under a big tree and only gets about 2 hours of full morning sun and 2 hours of afternoon full sun.

o

Manzano is a cooler strain, so it would make sense that it wouldn't like the intense sun.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here