Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudosfromudo

Observed sun and heat tolerance of pepper plants?

KudosFromUdo
11 years ago

I was kinda curious of your pepper plants heat tolerance, so I can figure out what peppers to plant for next year.

Here are my observations so far this year with what I have:

I put all my plants 6 weeks ago outside in full sun when they were between 4-8" tall. Temps finally started getting into the 90s this week and today it is supposed to reach 102F.

Doing fantastic:

Chiletepin

Jalapeno Grande

Ghost(Craigs rough strain)

Chile de Arbol

Royal Black

Doing ok, but had to move in partial shade this week because they were starting to sunburn:

Trinidad Scorpion Butch T

Bueno Caribe(Wejito)

Chichen Itzo(except for one that seems do be unnaffected by sun)

White Bullet Habanero

Did not like the sun at all and had to move in the shade 3 weeks ago:

Manzanos(red, orange, & yellow)

Almost all the peppers(de Arbol, Ghost, Orange Hab, Hot Peter, Pasilla, Poblano, White Bell, Orange Thai) on one side of the house survived the winter even though it got down to 27F, are bearing fruit and are still loaded with flowers. The only peppers on the other side of the house that survived was a miserable looking ghost pepper, my two Bolivian Rainbows and an unidentified giant 4+ foot, small fruited hot pepper plant that I didn't label

Comments (7)

• hellbound
    11 years ago

u must be in phx.....do you have them in the ground or in pots the only ones i have shaded are the chiltepin everything else i have in full sun yesterday my red hot cherry had a little wilt but perked right up once it got cooler i have all the usual suspect thai hot, habanero, carribean red, jalapeno, anaheim, numex big jim, thai dragon, chile de arbol and seranos all in the ground in full sun most r well established though (over a year old) gotta love perrenial chile plants....

• KudosFromUdo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am in the Palm Springs area(slightly hotter than Phoenix). I have everything I grew from seedlings this year in 1 gallon grow bags. I plan on transplanting everything into the ground next week when its supposed to cool down a little bit. I already have a rowed area set aside for them but its under a big tree and only gets about 2 hours of full morning sun and 2 hours of afternoon full sun.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Manzano is a cooler strain, so it would make sense that it wouldn't like the intense sun.

Josh

• Mokinu
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Out of all my peppers an unknown bell pepper with black streaks and Georgscu Chocolate probably did the best in the hot part of the summer. Yellow Monster and Ozark Giant didn't produce at all in it (and still haven't produced). Early Jalapeno did okay, and it now has lots of peppers, although they're tiny and none have turned red. Aji Rainforest seemed to set in the heat, but the plants were so small it's difficult to say how they should do here. They grew huge inside; so, I planted them really deep thinking they'd spring back into lush growth soon enough, but apparently, they need more leaves to grow fast outdoors, and I didn't give them enough nitrogen and/or phosphorus.

We had a record-breakingly hot June (116° F. on one day, and over 100 for a good part of the summer; I've never seen it get to 116° F. in the typically hottest months of July and August). The heat here is dry heat. Our soil is gray, clay-loam soil. I'm guessing it has a high PH. I gave the plants basalt rockdust, potassium sulfate, worm castings, rock phosphate, and a little greensand. Obviously, the microbes in my worm castings didn't provide enough nitrogen. I think the rockdust compounded the PH problem, but it did benefit many of the plants in interesting ways, while perhaps being detrimental to others. It didn't prevent blossom end rot in Martino's Roma or Pomodoro San Marzano tomatoes, though. I would guess the lack of nitrogen prevented the calcium from being used properly, but I don't know for sure if nitrogen deficiency does that.

I'm experimenting with Rocoto peppers, which are the same species as Manzano. They're meant for cooler summers. I've read that they don't flower over a certain temperature. I've also read that they're fairly frost tolerant. They are said to prefer less sun than most peppers. They are said to require a long growing season. I got flowers indoors. I put them all outdoors. We'll see how they do later.

• tomt226
    8 years ago

Strains like red Bhuts, red habs, Fatali, Thai Hot, Numex Suave Orange, Petins and Tepins do well here in Central Texas with temps over 100 and humidity in the 75% range, with night temps in the mid to upper 70's. However Bhuts and other peppers that don't shade their fruit allows the sun to burn the immature pods before ripening. I find morning sun and afternoon shade from mid-July on are perfect. Huge shade cloth enclosures are used in Mexico for growing Habaneros and other strains, which I may do next year.

Petins and tepins ripen within a couple of days after reaching their full size in this area. Thai Hots a little slower, but usually turn red in five days. All the plants mentioned are still making loads of flowers and fruit, with minimal drop. A watering schedule that doesn't over-stress the plant is invaluable...

• loweride
    8 years ago

My family lives in Houston, TX and keep telling me how jealous they are of my Wisconsin garden. They tell me, "It is too hot to grow anything in the summer down here." Maybe I should make a list of peppers that will survive the heat and send it to them.................

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA