Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepper_rancher

Hardening off (sunburn)

pepper_rancher
11 years ago

I got a little bit of sunburn (leaf edge burn on a few, a few tiny brown spots on leaves) on my plants I received from cross country nursery (my fault, not theirs) I got over eager... I now plan to leave them under 2 layers of mosquito netting all day. I have 2 questions: is this enough to prevent further sun damage (or is it too much, do I need some full sun too). Also, what is the consequence of minor leaf sunburn? It doesn't seem too bad, I am thinking they will be ok. ( ok, that's technically 3 questions)

Comments (22)

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, here's a pic with the netting up

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

A little sunburn shouldn't be a problem at this point. Try not to give them any direct sun for several days though. Instead of netting, I would probably just find a shady spot for two or three days that gets NO direct sun but the netting may work as well. You should be fine.
    Bruce

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Duplicate post
    Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 16:39

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As I have been growing for years, I realize I should know this by now... But what is the recommended schedule for bringing indoor seedlings outdoors? Ex. How many hours direct/filtered/shade/etc

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I dont really know of a hard and fast rule. Basically a few days of shade, then a few days of broken sun or filtered sun, then a few more days of full sun. But while you do this, you start with just an hour or two and work your way up in time per day. Don't put them out for 8 hours the first day, even in shade. Give them a couple hours the first day, then two, the three or four. Also, if conditions are not good (temps, wind, etc...) you can skip a day or two or three. What I do is try to give them increasing amounts of sun each time unless it I start to see signs of sunburn. Sunburn will usually show up as a grayish or discoloration on the lower level (older) leaves. A minor sunburn will not significantly hurt your plant. If anything, it will result in the loss of a few leaves. Here is a photo of some sunburn on a Ghost Pepper plant from two years ago.
    Bruce

• hillseeker
    11 years ago

Thanks Bruce, great advice. Anyone have advice for overwintered plants being moved to a greenhouse in the North? It's STILL snowing!!!

• sidhartha0209
    11 years ago

I just moved my 100+ tomato plants and eleven Hot Lemon pepper plants out to a portable greenhouse Saturday to begin hardening off. I noticed at the end of the day when I sealed it up for the night some of the leaves sticking out over the edge of the cover were sunburned a little, I don't think it's going to be a major deal though.

Took this pic Sat., I've begun transplanting them all to bigger pots and spreading them out a little now.

• sidhartha0209
    11 years ago

The plants WERE getting crowded under the inside grow light. This is the first year I've used this portable shelf type greenhouse; what a relief it's panning out to be, just in the nick of time!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I have one of those same little greenhouses and I agree, they are very handy this time of year. I have been hardening off my peppers for a week now. The only problem is temperature regulation. Low temps are fine as I run a thermostatically controlled fan on the bottom shelf which keeps it above 55 degrees, even when it is in the 20's outside. However, if the sun pops out, and the green house is closed up, it will go from 60 degrees inside to over 100 in minutes. You have to be very vigilant of the conditions outside. I run one of those digital thermometers with a remote sensor in the green house to keep track of the temps inside. Then it is a matter of shading the green house or opening it to allow circulation when it gets too hot.
    Bruce

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

I have found that two layers of screen door mesh over my peppers is adequate protection from sunburn. I transfer them outdoors into the garden, put the mesh over them so they can have direct morning and evening light, and then filtered noonday sun, and I don't have any burning issues.

After they are big enough, I take the mesh off and they are fine.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Edymnion, sounds like a good system. Also, you said they are in the "garden" which makes it basically impossible to move them from one place to another depending on direct sunlight so a filter would be the only real solution.
    Bruce

• sidhartha0209
    11 years ago

Bruce:
    "..The only problem is temperature regulation...."

Yeah, I know. That's actually the basic problem with all greenhouses. It really surprised me that there wasn't a 'top vent' to let heat out in the design of this 'portable shelf greenhouse'. Anyway, leaving the door open during the day is working out so far.

Trust me, I'm keeping a close eye, I've too much time and labor and TLC into these babies so far to slack off at this point... :-)

This post was edited by sidhartha0209 on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 17:19

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yep, I cut a 4"x4" hole in the top front just under the peak of the roof. I open and close that as the temps dictate. I also open and close the door to regulate temps. If you don't vent the very top, heat will rise to the top and even opening the doorway all the way will not vent that portion very well and while it might be 80 degrees on the bottom shelf, it might be over 100 at the very top without some additional venting up high. I am using clear packing tape to close it up when needed.

It is almost easier when the outside temps are much lower and then use a heater to keep it up to a minimum. But even when it is 20 degrees outside, I have had it hit 100 inside the greenhouse with clear sun hitting it and the door zipped up. Draping a white sheet over it can help on those kinds of days as well.
    Bruce

• sidhartha0209
    11 years ago

"... I cut a 4"x4" hole in the top front just under the peak of the roof...."

Lol, you installed a gable vent! I thought about it but for right now I'm going to just slide the whole 'tent' up and hold it suspended with the door Velcro straps. The disadvantage to this is (besides looking tacky) that it forms a pocket for rain to pool in if I'm not around to check it.

And by the way, you can't see it from this angle, but I've attached the whole thing to a steel rod driven into the ground (tent slides over it) on the backside to prevent it from being blown over by the wind, or knocked over by a couple of frolicking shepherds.

This post was edited by sidhartha0209 on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 13:59

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Geez Bruce, temp controlled fan/heater, vents in the top...next thing you know, you'll be tying actuators and levers to regulate the vents!! and before you know it, you'll be controlling it from a smartphone!! haha!!

Those do look pretty nice!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I got someone working on the app now. I am having trouble deciding if I want to use micro hydrolics or servo motors for the vent controls.
    I am thinking micro hydrolics as they will be less susceptible to the weather.
    We have had ice, rain, sleet, hail, thunder and the whole deal here the last couple days. I have kept the peppers in the green house and the heater is keeping a steady 60-65 degrees. Not having the direct sun hitting it makes it a lot easier to regulate the heat as I don't have to worry about it over heating.

Bruce

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I knew it! LOL

• sidhartha0209
    11 years ago

Bruce: "...If you don't vent the very top, heat will rise to the top and even opening the doorway all the way will not vent that portion very well and while it might be 80 degrees on the bottom shelf, it might be over 100 at the very top without some additional venting up high....."

Yesterday it got up to 80F but I had the tent suspended, everything OK. Closed it up for the night. front moved in late evening, rain, temp dropped to 39F this morn and overcast, had to go to town and left it closed up....and guess what? The sun popped out! My 'babies' were on my mind and I never even completed all my errands but cut it short and came home and boy am I glad I did.

Plants were OK but 'on the verge' of suffering, pot surface temp readings (infrared thermometer) on top shelf was 95F, bottom shelf 70F, and I'm sure the temp at the very top was well over 100F.

Soooo, I'm going to install me one of those gable vents also, just haven't decided on the design of it yet. Any suggestions from experience?

• sidhartha0209
    11 years ago

Here I'm giving all my babies a break from the greenhouse and some 'direct hardening off' on the trusty ol' Corolla.

Actually I think the wind and the temp swings from night to day has as much to do with hardening off as anything.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

sidhartha0209: I just cut a three sided hole approximately 4" x 4" just under the peak in the front. Then I put 1.5" packing take around the edge of the flap so I can close it when necessary. The tape will get messed up after a while but I will just peel it off and replace it. There could obviously be a more sexy solution to clear packing tape but I just wanted to get it done at the time. I really don't understand why they don't have a zippered flap built in. Even if it costs an extra dollar or two, it would be well worth it. My greenhouse was only $15 when I bought it but I have seen them anywhere from $20 to $35 lately. The same green house in the same store is now $35. I got mine a couple months ago. Very well spent $15 as it allows me to keep my plants outside and get a good start on hardening off. With no sun for the past three days and temps under 40 degrees, I can just let the thermostatically controlled heater keep it in the low 60's while I keep the whole thing zipped up.
    Below is a photo of my green house. I highlighted, in blue, the vent that I cut out. I also highlighted, in yellow, where I have my remote digital thermometer mounted (hanging under the top shelf).
    Bruce

• dhromeo
    11 years ago

AHHH!! I built a greenhouse this year too, and I'm learning the EXACT same things.

It's hot when the sun's out, inside my greenhouse I cooked my lettuce twice with temps above 130 F...

It's hot, but if you open the door it drops too low when it's cold out so you make a vent but you have to watch it closely and regulate the temperature properly, but when it's cloudy you have to run your heater..

It's not gardening, it's MALARIA!

Here is a link that might be useful: rackin-frackin grumble mumble garden..

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Hey neighbor! Looks like you got a good jump on things. I haven't even thought about outdoor operations yet. Another few weeks, maybe. :-)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus