Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Thai Chili/Bird's Eye Chili Pepper indoor.

Posted by bougainvillea 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 16:19

Hi,I'm new to this forum and need some advise on how to grow Thai Chili Pepper indoor. I've been trying to grow them indoor many times but the seeds didn't grow at all. I use Thai Chili a lot and tried to save little money by growing them myself. This is what I did: I took out the seeds from the pepper, dried them about 24 hours and plant them in a potting soil+perlite, water them and tent the pot I use and after 4 weeks still nothing happened. Please help me, I have no idea on how to plant the seeds, what kind of soil I should use and how to take care of them. I live in apartment and can only grow them indoor. Thanks for any advise and help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Thai Chili/Bird's Eye Chili Pepper indoor.

First of all, make sure that the chile from which you take the seed is matured on the plant.....if it's not, seed may not be viable.

o

hi there i started an indoor garden this year and three kind of peppers baby bells started very fast about 5 days jalapanos started super slow nearly gave up finely coming in about 20 days the thia chilis only took 5 days i can start them i dont know about keeping them alive . i have an 8 foot 2 bulb flourecent light i started about 20 seeds each 18 bells came in ,4 jalapanos and 4 thia chilies seeds started in small peat pods in trays with clear covers to hold in moisture light is on 24/7 for now .water is important i use water from my fish tank great for plants or hit the nearest pet store for some drops to clear some of the not so plant friendly cemicals out eg chlorine hope this helps .

o

Hi Bougie, I sure hope this is of help. My experience is that true "Birds Eye" chilies are so named because they are actually eaten and passed through the digestion of small birds as part of their natural process and reproduction. They have a coating on the seeds that needs removal by a weak solution of potassium nitrate. I do this by mixing an eighth teaspoon tree stump remover (Grant's) to a quart of water (use gloves & safety glasses, very caustic stuff) and soaking the seeds for six to eight hours, then rinsing before germinating. This is not the case for serrano or the small Thai chili, but only for the true Bird's Eye if you are lucky enough to find them.

Another infrequent problem is that some growers use intentionally sterile (unfertile) seeds for their own protection. It happens. In that case, you may have to break down & buy the plants.

Good luck...hope this helps. Ours are just now starting their first batch of blooms indoors after a March start; about thirty per head, four or five heads per plant, four plants. I'm a very happy Daddy right now.

Goat

o

my bird's eye peppers are trying to grow. when i go fishing in the river here, i tend to find huge bushes filled with peppers. i usually pluck a few limbs and take the peppers home. the fifty or so peppers i dont use, i fold in a nakin and gently coax the skin off an extract the small seeds. dig a few trenches in a pot of dirt and spread. usuall get hundreds of seeds planted and if you're lucky a few plants. i hear bird's eyes are hard to grow, mocking birds do itthe best.

o

hi i have thai chili peppers in pots can i bring them indoors for the winter? if so will they grow?

o

Yes, they will.

Josh

o

thank you do i need any special lighting bob

o

To keep it alive...no

To produce fruit...maybe (don't know where you're at or how much light they will receive).

Most people that bring pepper plants in for the Winter are mainly interested in simply keeping them alive.

o

Tsheets is correct.

Josh

o

If you bring a plant inside for the winter you have to watch for things like aphids and spider mites. Inspect your plant, under the leaves and all on a regular basis. When you put it back out in spring, do so gradually like hardening off a seedling, not full sun the first day. Over-wintered plants sometimes have blooms and even fruit on them when you put them back out, if not they will in pretty short order.

o

Not sure if all peppers grow well indoors under lights, but some do. This plant was planted in November 2010 and the photo was taken in April 2011. It grew entirely under grow-lights in my basment (4-4 foot fluorescent bulbs, on 16 hours per day). The variety is "Explosive Ember", which was fairly hot when fresh but not very hot when the peppers eventually turned red and dried on the plant by about June.
Photobucket

o
Thai Chili Pepper plants/indoors

I have two athai Chili Pepper plants, grown from seeds from Taiwan. They are looking tall and gangly and have just a few peppers. I want to bring them in during cooler temps (N. Ga.). Should I cut them back before bringing them and if so, how much? What kind of light do they prefer, as well?

o

don555: where did you get your Explosive Ember seeds from? they look nice, would be interested in growing some..

o

I have some pretty large thai chilli plants in my garden and I was wondering if it would be ok to dig them out and put them in pots inside for the winter. I was also thinking about cutting them down a bit before bringing them in but I didn't know how much damage that would do. Thanks for any help.

o

Wow, old thread revisited!

To answer redfire (2 yrs late): I think I got those Explosive Ember seeds from Vesey's Seeds in Prince Edward Island, Canada. But I'm only about 80% certain of that, they could also have been off a seed rack in a local store...

Gardenewb: Yes, you can bring plants indoors, but inspect them carefully for insects first, and treat them as a precaution. The few times I have brought plants from outside to inside in the Fall, I have encountered an aphid explosion within about 2 weeks.

o

Thanks don555. Any idea on how much I can cut them back without hurting them? They are about 4 ft high and a couple wide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here