Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Habs dropping leaves

Posted by Phildeez none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 16:22

I potted a couple fairly large Orange Hab plants a few weeks ago that I bought from a garden supply near me.
I pruned the tops and there is plenty of new growth but the large main leaves that were on them to begin with are
yellowing and a few have dropped. They are down to only a few original leaves, but plenty of small new, healthy growth.

Why might this be happening?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Habs dropping leaves

Make sure you have them in large enough pots with a fast draining gritty mix. Yellowing and dropping sounds like too much water to me.

o

Your description of symptoms are classic symptoms of too much moisture. I think simsedward is correct.

o

Well the odd thing is that I repotted them into the 5-1-1. That is when the original leaves began dropping. The new growth is thick and dark green, I wait until it is dry about 1-2 inches down to water. I did goof and underdosed the lime significantly, 1/3 of recommended.

o

Well the odd thing is that I repotted them into the 5-1-1. That is when the original leaves began dropping. The new growth is thick and dark green, I wait until it is dry about 1-2 inches down to water. I did goof and underdosed the lime significantly, 1/3 of recommended.

o

Could nights under 50 degrees do it if they came from a greenhouse?

o

For sure. Sometimes when i pot up my peppers i have leaf drop but they always come back. Add a little bone meal and some garden lime. Very small amounts. And only water when soil is super dry or leaves droop. PS peppers donot like temps below 50 or above 90. Picky little buggars.

o

You may be paying too much attention to the buggers. Leave them alone, chiles want to live and are quite hardy.

o

I just figured it out. The complex just started the hot weather lawn watering schedule which is like every night. Gotta move it away from the sprinklers I bet. That means they have been getting soaked during 40 degree nights and then sitting there uncovered. Doh!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here