Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjohansen_gw

Constructing raised bed, need advice

cjohansen
10 years ago

I'm building a raised bed for my peppers. I've gathered lots of information from the web, but as a first-time grower I'm very insecure, and would really appreciate some input from experienced growers on some of my plans.

So, I have limited garden space and lots of (too many) plants. I'm planning to keep some in containers (roughly 15). That leaves 44 plants which I am planning to put in a roughly 4x12 foot raised bed. With offset rows, I'll get 12" space between every stem, which is the minimum recommended spacing as I gather. Some advocate for 18 or even 24", but I can't afford that space - at least not for every plant.

1. I'm putting the bed on top of my lawn. I'm planning to build them about a foot high. Do I need to cover the bottom/lawn with some kind of plastic or fiber before filling in medium?

2. I'm planning a mix of 50/50 soil/dirt and compost. Good?

3. Mulch: I read that plastic mulch helps keep the medium warm for longer. I was thinking black plastic covered by bark mulch (for aesthetic reasons). Now, how will I get water to the plants? I am not planning a drip watering system.

4. I read that rocks will be even more efficient at heating the medium. Can I mulch with black plastic, then rocks on top? Or some kind of gravel?

5. We're scheduled for some good weather next week - how long in advance can I benefit from getting the bed ready to heat up the soil? Plants won't go in for another two, maybe three weeks, depending on weather.

One last thing. Here are the varieties I'm growing, and some numbers I found on expected plant size. I'm seeing conflicting information here, so I'd like some input on whether this is roughly correct, and whether any of these varieties are in special need of extra room:

• Pontas
    Height: 2 ft. - 6 ft., spread: 2ft.

• Hungarian Hot Wax
    Height: 3 ft. to 5 ft., spread: 1.5 ft. to 1.67 ft.

• Twilight

• Ring of fire

• Aji Lemon
    Height: 3 ft., spread: ??

• Poblano
    Height: 2 ft., spread:

• Serrano
    Height: 1.5 ft to 5 ft., spread: ??

• Thai
    Height: 1 ft. to 4 ft., spread: 1.17 ft. to 1.67 ft.

• Jalapeño
    Height: 0.5 ft. to 2 ft., spread: 1 ft. to 1.5 ft.

• Habanero
    Height: 0.5 ft. to 1.83 ft., spread: 1 ft. to 1.5 ft.

Long post I know, please don't feel you have to answer all or nothing. I appreciate any advice you guys have, you already helped me be very successful so far.

Comments (17)

• tsheets
    10 years ago

1. I wouldn't line it. If anything, I'd till or break up the ground, but, that's not really necessary either.

2. sounds good to me. I have done that in building a new garden before and it worked out well.

3/4. I don't cover so can't really comment.

5. I would do it when you get the chance. I am not sure how much time it would take for the temperature to normalize - can't be that long, can it? But, it would give it some time to settle, you may want/need to top it off after it settles. But, you could plant the same day you fill them if it comes to that.

I haven't grown many of the ones on your list, but, the ones that I have grown, those numbers seem small.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

seems like you will be crowding them a bit for some of the species. I would also break up the ground under if possible and definitely do not put a lining in under it. Some of the plant sizes you list above look much different than I have experienced.
    Twilights will grow wider than bigger and about 2 ft or so wide but probably less than 2 feet tall.
    Jalapenos will likely get bigger than what is listed and I beleive the Hot Hungarian wax plants will likely be smaller than listed. At least on the lower end of the range. Oh, and one other piece of advice: When deciding where to place it, don't go by the shade pattern you are seeing today as it will change significantly in a month or two.
    Good luck,
    Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 22:12

• northerner_on
    10 years ago

I have a small raised bed in which I usually grow garlic, onions(for green onions), jalapenos, mini bells, hungarian wax, and cayennes. I pack things in, just about 12 inches apart and they always seem to do well. To make my bed I followed these steps:

1. take the sod up from the lawn, roll and lay aside;

2. dig down a good 6-8 inches, piling the soil aside;

3. Make and place your frame (I used cedar)

4. lay the sod upside down on the bottom,

5. backfill with removed soil adding chipped leaves if available;

6. add a mixture of top soil and composted cow manure to desired height.

This is a lot of work, and is best done in the fall before planting. I don't fertilize anything I grow in the earth, so the quality of the soil is paramount.

Mine is only about 6 inches high and I amend by turning under all my cuttings and chipped leaves each fall.

Hope this helps.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

I have 20 - 5'x12' 12" tall raised beds, I got tired of tilling. I grow everything from onions to corn in them. First thing I did was lay down thick black plastic, just have to make sure there's no big gaps for the dirt to run out (where there were gaps, I stapled plastic on the sides and flat on the ground to keep the dirt in). I plant my peppers around 15" apart and they do great, too good in fact. All of my beds are filled 100% with compost from a guy down the street that sells dirt, etc. I know I should put mulch on top, but, it's too much hassle having to remove it then buy and put on more, so no mulch. I have considered getting some thick landscape fabric to keep the weeds down, still get weeds and grass in the beds, but, at least they are a lot easier to remove than in the ground. The last 3 years (when I started putting them in) have been my best years ever. Last year was the absolute best (I have never had luck with belle peppers, but I was buried last year, and with almost 2 months of 100+ degree heat) I contribute it all to MG shake and feed for tomatoes. That is now a staple at my house. Good luck.
    Pam
    Pam

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I just built a couple raised beds for my brother. You've gotten good advice so far. I would not use plastic mulch or rocks...just bark mulch, if needed.

First, remove or chop up the lawn where the beds will go.

Assemble your frame, then tack half-inch hardware cloth to the bottom. Flip over, set in place.

If using pressure treated wood as I did, line the inner surface with plastic. Also line the wood if you want the wood to last a couple years longer.

Then fill with your soil and compost mixture. Water well to allow for settling.

Pics:

Josh

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. Re: sizes, I suspected some of the measurements were off. It's difficult with the Jalapeños, because there's a gazillion kinds and I don't really know which one I have - the seed packet and the provider only say "Jalapeño".

Bruce, you mentioned that some will be bushier than what I've noted. Which ones are the bushiest in your experience? From my current plants (they're 10"-18" tall at this point), I can tell that the Poblanos and Serranos will definitely not be among the bushiest, while Twilight, Ring of Fire and Jalapeños seem to be branching out quite a lot.

• cjohansen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nice, Josh! Thanks for posting the pictures, very helpful. Re: breaking up the lawn, is this to allow roots to grow down? I wasn't really expecting them to grow that deep. I figured that putting plastic on top of the lawn would reduce the chance of stuff growing from the lawn through my bed.

10 years ago

I chop up or remove the lawn so that it doesn't come up through the bed. It's inevitable, really, but better to start with a clean slate, so to speak. Drainage is important, which is why the bottom of the bed is permeable...but gophers are bad, so there needs to be a mesh barrier.

Josh

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Jalapeno will get larger than indicated - maybe 30" tall by 20" wide. Serrano about the same shape but smaller. Of course, habit depends on variety as much as growing conditions.

This will be a good situation in which to practice pruning. You don't have to let the plants grow as they desire.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Nice looking beds Josh!
    Pam

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yah, great looking beds there Josh. Wow, that's a lot of dirt. Did you have it trucked in? Makes me want to do a couple beds.
    Oh, and as far as removing or chopping up the grass, are you really worried that the underlying grass or weeds or whatever will grow up through a foot of dirt? I would think any grass or weeds would die before they penetrated even a few inches???
    Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Wed, May 1, 13 at 22:17

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

here's a couple of pics of my beds. ok, how do you post multiple pics in a response? I have tried everything but it will only let me do one.
    Pam

10 years ago

Beautiful beds, Pam. To post multiple pics, you have to use a photohosting service...when you mouse over my pics, you'll notice they're hosted at photobucket.

Bruce, my brother had 3 yards of top soil mixed with compost dumped on the street in front of his house. We wheeled the dirt front to back in that tiny barrow and a 5-gallon bucket! That part took the longest.

The grass is invasive, and it readily grows into the beds around here. The key is to pull it as it apppears....easier to keep up than catch up, as they say.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Geez, awesome beds Pam.
    Josh, sounds like you had a pretty good workout the other day making and filling those beds.

Bruce

10 years ago

Yessir!
    Thankfully the dirt was light...but it sure took a lot of trips!
    Glorified cat-litter boxes....hahaha

Josh

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. Sheesh Josh! I hope the distance from the road to the beds wasn't too far! We have a trailer and I have gotten more loads of dirt than I can count from our local guy, but, at least I can either park the trailer next to the bed, or only have a short distance with the wheelbarrow.

Here's the second pic I tried to send, other end of garden. haha, and I just realized, not a single dog walking through either photo, that's unheard of. ;-)

Pam

10 years ago

What an ideal setting...

Josh

Sponsored