Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Noooooo it's twisty-leaf-itis!

Posted by plantslayer 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 16:54

Hello everyone,

I've seen this problem before when growing peppers. At some point, the new leaves become crinkly and deformed. It seems to go away when the plant is put in a full-sized container in warm weather.

This nice specimen here is my beloved 7-pot plant. It is in potting soil in a decent sized container... the soil is fairly dry and loose, not at all compact. If anything, it might need more water, but it is almost certainly not suffering from over-watering. I don't think I've fertilized it in over 10 days, but my understanding was that I did not need to fertilize young seedlings very often before transplanting them. Well, OK, that's the advice I have used for tomatoes, maybe peppers are different. The plants are kept between 65* and 70* F right now; the tomatoes seem to like it just fine, not sure about the peppers.

So anyway, could it be cool temps, drainage issues, nutrition issues... what? Disease seems very unlikely since they've been inside their whole life, and I see no other signs of illness.

Thanks!

(PS that tomato looks sick because it's the runt of the litter and I have not tried hard to care for it... I'm trying to give away my unwanted plants. :))

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Noooooo it's twisty-leaf-itis!

No first hand experience, but, I have noticed this recently on my chocolate hab seedlings.

The searching I have done here covers a lot of territory ranging from "don't worry about it will still produce just fine" or "they will grow out of it" to Mg / K deficiency - add bone meal.

In any case, it doesn't seem to be life threatening. I'll probably try feeding since I haven't done that yet.

o

DANGIT, turns out it's aphids. Only one or two tiny aphids on the tender new leaves caused this. Well, anyway, I picked them off with a toothpick and tried to dislodge any others I might have missed by spraying hard with a spray bottle and water. I guess I'll need to move this over to the aphid thread now. :(

o

Bingo!
I was just about to suggest aphids.
They deform the new growth. Don't worry, though...those leaves have plenty surface to conduct
photosynthesis. It'll outgrow the aphids, as long as you keep their population down.

Josh

o

I actually have this on a few of my cotyledons. Is that also likely aphids (indoor, miracle gro potting mix, so unless they came in on that don't know how they could have come in, as it's winter in MT)?

o

Aphids are causing a lot of this right now in my peppers, but numbers do seem to subside as the peppers get slightly hardier.
Throwing 1000 hungry ladybugs at them tonight, too! Muahahah!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here