Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stupidhotpeppers

Pounds per Plant

StupidHotPeppers
10 years ago

If you could take a general stab at it, how many pounds could you get off of a pepper plant. I understand that some peppers are different sizes and others have better yields but let's just say a Bhut Jolokia for instance?

Comments (11)

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

I usually get 150- 200 ghosts per plant. Got 260+ from a brown scorpion in a pot last year. I have a long growing season though and can get 120 days + outside. Other people have posted only getting 2 or 3 in colder arias so its hard to say. They commercially grow them in Canada for export to the US [Green House Grown] so any thing is possible. I think in a cold climate its a lot more work and you might need to bring them in and out using lights or a green house to get similar results but Im sure it can be done. 2 lbs. off a butt would be a good harvest under the right conditions. If you live in Florida you might get 2 harvests , under lights or in a GH with supplemental light you might harvest year round same with a grow room. You might have to do a lot of tweaking to get a good harvest in Minnesota but it can be done. The expense of heat and lights might make it prohibitive on those cold winter nights. Ive seen wood heated greenhouses before that could extend your season in a costly manner. If it can be done in Canada why not Minn.
    Good Luck

• stoneys_fatali
    10 years ago

I'll let you know when my plants start producing :-)

Dave

• pepperdave
    10 years ago

50-60 peppers\ lb. for Ghosts.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

150 to 200 per plant is impressive. I watched a video several months ago. This guy in Britain, harvested something like over 1000 peppers from a single plant. Of course, that was a greenhouse grown.

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

I would love to know how many peppers other members get from there plants. Im only familiar with the climate I live in where fruit set is extremely good being in heat zone 1 with a last frost coming in Nov. I do get plants loaded with peppers consistently and plant mostly in soil.Growing in pots is of interest to me and last year I got over 260 peppers from the 1 I put in a pot. It takes a long season to get good production with temps. between 70 and 90. Im lucky to have a environment that is prime for this. I get very little blossom drop and my plants set fruit for 3 mouths non stop ripening from Aug.- Nov.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Where are you located , Dave ?
    I am also in a heat zone 1 (PNW, Seattle, WA area).
    It is interesting that peppers don't mind cooler summers. Most of my peppers, in the past when I was in GA, burst into fruits later in the season.

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Cape May Point The southern tip of NJ . I'm heat zone 1 due to the fact I'm totally surrounded by water, like being 20 miles out at sea. When it gets 95 just 10 miles up the road its only 85 here. Makes for a slower warmup in the spring but holds off the frost in the Fall well into Nov. most years. The Bay is 4 blocks west , The Ocean 6 blocks east. I can hear the waves pounding when working in my gardens Ill have 6 in ground this year and others in pots. Im trying to do as much isolation as possible between species this year as well as a mix at a local Vineyard and also on a friends farm . I own no land myself but have friends who will let you grow on their land and even get water. I work construction and helped build a winery so I have an in there and another friend with a truck farm has let me use a 60 by 100 ft plot with a well. All within 3 miles of home. Can ride my bike from plot to plot watering and weeding as I go. Can even sell peppers to customers at both the Winery and the farm stand in front of my friends farm. Peppers do real good here, Im blessed with a good climate , good soil,and good friends. Even got a friend with a John Dear with a 6ft tiller that helps me out.Life is good for a pepper grower in my neck of the woods.I also do tomatoes,eggplant, Herbs etc. Perennials are also a passion for me . Also plan some crosses under controlled conditions this year

• seysonn
    9 years ago

OK. Thanks Dave,
    Same situation up here in the PNW. The bodies of water extending from the Pacific Ocean ( and few lakes) regulates the temperature, eliminating the extremes. That is what keeps our summer highs under 87F.

On the rest of your situations, I am glad for what you have. I also believe that as they say " what goes around, comes around". That means you have earned all that friendship and trust.

Have a Good Season !

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Hey Dave. That sounds wonderful. Wanna trade lives?

• rdback
    9 years ago

Hey Dave. The ferry still runnin lol?

Hate to count how many times I rode that thing as a kid, heading to Court House to visit the grandparents. Use to go to the Bay to check out the horseshoe crabs. Fun times, albeit long, long ago.

Rick

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Still running Rick , can hear the whistle in my yard. Grew peppers off Ferry Rd last year. This year Im on the other side of the Canal. Saves me a swim.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES