Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_pepper_guy

Garden Updates w/Pics

the_pepper_guy
12 years ago

Here is a couple of update pics. I redesigned the greenhouse making it more sturdy and simpler to build. The other pic is of pepper seedlings getting ready to be moved into the greenhouse. It is unheated, so I will wait another week or so before taking them out there. If anyone is interested in building a greenhouse just like this one for under $200, I have placed basic instructions on my blog. I would repost it here, but it is pretty long.

{{gwi:301706}}

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Blog

Comments (10)

• ncage
    12 years ago

Wow nice job. How low of a temp will this protect the peppers from since its unheated?

• the_pepper_guy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have not really tested the temp in the greenhouse. I don't put any pepper plants or tomoato plants in there until I know it is not going to drop below 45-50 degrees at night. Hopefully that will be within the next couple of weeks. I do, however have lettuce and onions in there now.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Garden

• tlowery04
    12 years ago

what kind of plastic did you use?

• gardengal19
    12 years ago

Hi Pepper Guy - I have a similar greenhouse that is 16 x 20 except for the end panels. DH built it about 6 yrs. ago and we have not had to replace the plastic yet. The end panels are the rigid opaque kind. There are 2 sliding windows - one on each side of a half glass door at one end panel and a window size opening with a fan that pulls the hot air out on the opposite end panel.

It does get mighty hot in there when the sun is shining and I keep the windows and door wide open. The fan goes on automatically when it gets above a certain temp. I think I have it set around 85 degrees but I can turn it down when I'm in there working. If the outside temp. Is above 70, I start moving all my flats outside.

The greenhouse at night will be the same temp. inside as it is outside.

I have a propane heater for night-time use when it gets below freezing.
    If it's below 40 but, not freezing, I use a seedling heating mat. But, that will hold only 4 flats. After a few days on the heating mat, I move the transplants off to make room for more new transplants. Does this make any sense to you? If the outside temp. goes to 50 at night, you wouldn't need a heating mat at all. Actually, I think the fluctuating temp. between 70's during the day to 50's at night promotes healthy sturdy growth.

The greenhouse is nice because it gives me a place to do the transplanting and a place to keep the transplants until planting out in the garden.

I don't have the ability to post photos with an ipad or do I? I don't know.

-gloria

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Excellent design. I have a question about the plastic. I dont see any seams in the plastic. But i dont recall seeing that stuff sold much bigger that in 6 foot wide rolls. What are the dimensions of the plastic that you used and how to do seal the seams? Also, how does that thing do in the snow? I live in Wisconsin and I am wondering what a 15" overnight snowfall would do to it? Does the snow just slide off?

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

OK, I found some larger sheets of plastic sheeting online...What is the mils of the plastic you are using?

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    12 years ago

You can order greenhouse grade plastic, the only way to go, well over 50 feet wide. I bought a roll that was 48 by 100 to cover my new high tunnel. There were a few nervous minutes when we were covering the tunnel. No wind is a requirement, on a piece that big.

You can order plastic from FarmTec, Morgan County Seeds, Stuppy's Greenhouse Mega Storw, Growers Supply, and many, many more quality places.

Jay

• the_pepper_guy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tlowery04 & esox07...the plastic I use I purchased from Wally World in the paint section. It is sold as plastic sheeting and is 4mil. It is 20'x25' for $25. They have some 6mil stuff there, but it is only like 15'x20'. I pieced it together last year using the 6mil, but noticed no difference between it and the 4mil. I replace it every year anyways. The kids somehow manage to put a hold in it every year and all it takes is a small hole and some wind and you have yourselves and tore up greenhouse!

gardengal...I learned my lesson with how hot it gets in the greenhouse during the day. If you follow my blog at all, you can see how I changed the design of the greenhouse. I put a 2ft sidewall on it and once it gets warmer, I will attach windows of some sort all around the bottom 2ft of the sidewalls. This will allow adequate air flow keeping it cooler. I have a window and door that stays open, but even then, it managed to get 110+ in there without a problem. I am hoping I have solved the cooling issue in the greenhouse.

I use mini Christmas lights as heat mats. They are a great cheap alternative to heating mats. I only use them on my seedings. Once most of the tray sprouts, it is taken off the lights and moved onto the rack under the lights. I have plenty of room in the basement for small starts, so I do not get real froggy about putting my seedlings in the greenhouse until the night time temps are above 50 degrees or so. Definitely excited about this years garden!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Blog

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Put some vents/windows up near the top, probably on each end. Heat rises and venting at the top will allow that heat to exit the greenhouse. Also, make sure you have a vent on each end and open them up together so that the air will flow "through" the greenhouse. Also, I am wondering if a small fan blowing in or out in one window/vent might not be a bad idea for days when there is little to no wind to move the air through the green house.

• the_pepper_guy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will check into adding vents to the greenhouse. Thanks for the suggestion!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Garden

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler