Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need lime for this soil mix?

Posted by speciesonly Fla 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 14 at 17:19

Hello all, this is my first post. I've been growing peppers for several years and I have been playing with mixes recently. I've gotten I ideas from this forum and others and I was wondering if this type of mix needs lime added to it?
5 fine pine bark mulch
2 shredded pine needles
2 jungle growth
1/2 sand
1 perlite
1 peat sphagnum
Crushed egg shells
Thanks, Michael

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need lime for this soil mix?

Yes, that type of mix could benefit from the addition of Dolomitic Lime.

I would eliminate the sand and eggshells completely.

Josh

o

Thanks for the info greenman, I really appreciate it.

o

I would lime it. Ca. & Mg. also PH

o

Pepperdave, Dolomitic Lime provides both Calcium and Magnesium :-) Dave, I probably misread your post. You were explaining that the Lime provides Ca and Mg, plus raises the pH? Sorry, didn't mean to come off as corrective if that's what you intended.

Josh

This post was edited by greenman28 on Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 12:47

o

What is"Jungle Growth"?

If you fertilize with things like MG Shake n Feed, perhaps you won't need to add lime, since it has both calcium and magnesium.

I also don't see a purpose for adding sand.
And about eggshell there seems to be a lot myth running around about it.. The eggshells that I added to my compost almost 6 months age, are still intact. Sea shells are even more durable. It is like adding cast iron to soil and hoping that it will be iron (Fe) source for plants right away.

o

Almost nothing that you add to soil will be available right away. Egg shells are a good long-term source of calcium as are sea shells.

o

that is what I meant greenman . Lime is cheep and I use it religiously every other year in the soil and definitely in home made potting mix. Other members might not need lime where they grow ,but here in S. Jersey its necessary.

o

Three of your ingredients have a very low pH: pine bark, pine needles, and peat. I would definitely add dolomitic or agricultural lime (not hydrated lime) at rate of about a tablespoon per gallon of finished mix. As pepperdave said, it also supplies calcium and magnesium. MiracleGro Shake and Feed won't raise the pH or supply enough calcium and magnesium.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here