Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Properly watering container super hots.

Posted by stoneys_fatali 9b So.Cal. (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 17:28

When re-potting a Trinidad Scorpion this morning, I noticed on top (finger 1" down) was completely dry.
I noticed while transferring to the new pot, the soil was still very moist by the roots and bottom of pot.
My question is when do you really know your container peppers need more water without overdoing it?
Thanks!

-Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Properly watering container super hots.

Well, you sort of get a feel for it...watching the plant's reaction, wilting, et cetera. But for many growers, one of the easiest tricks is to use a wooden kabob skewer or rough chopstick stuck deep into the pot. When you think you might need to water, pull the skewer out and check it for moisture. If the skewer seems to be dry most of the way down, definitely water.

Josh

o

As a newbie, please allow me to give this a shot. On my peppers indoors (still an average of about 40F here) my peppers in 4" pots/containers start to show they need water by the leaves shriveling up, and branches starting to go limp. This got to the extreme early this week, by me being away for 2 1/2 days. I watered late Sunday before leaving and when I returned home Wednesday afternoon, the larger plants were rather wilted. I then bottom fed them and a few hours later all was back to normal. So I would venture to say by when they start to wilt, feed them.

o

Ok Josh, thanks for the tip.

I started my Scorpions as seedlings. When they had their first real leaves, about 8 of them, the plant would wilt badly then within minutes perked back up..it was thirsty.
Now it's outside in a container and has shown no sign of wilting but has dropped a couple big bottom baby leaves.

o

Looks to me like your already getting a feel for it. Your plants will tell you. Treat them individually some dry out faster then others. I have 480 + plants and spend Hrs. a day going through them, dont know many people that devoted but its my life and every plant has become part of it. 25 years of this and I still do it every year. Im starting to move them in and out now so in a few weeks things will get better

o

> " Your plants will tell you."

+1

I grow plants of various sizes in pots of various sizes, so early on (after everyone is in their final pots) I let the ones that dry out the quickest get my attention. Then I check the others with a moisture probe to see where they stand in relation to the complainers. After a few reps of this you get a feel for who needs what. For instance, I found that the big morugas were rarely the complainers, but needed a lot more water than the usual complainers (smarmy red fataliis in 3 gal pots).

As a result the complainers tell me when to water. Then I water everyone but let my experience with the probe guide me as to roughly how much water each pot needs.

You could attend to each plant individually as it complains, but I found my way to be more efficient of time.

Dennis

o

I have a CHEAP pH meter that has a moisture mode too. That alone is worth 14 bucks. So I am going to put it into test and use it when in doubt. Otherwise I will know it. I pick a certain week day to water, Like Sundays. Then if I see a COMPLAINER, I might do it then too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here