Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bberkmor

yummy find

bberkmor
9 years ago

Found some bhut's at the grocery store today :). Makes me wish it was summer already and we could be harvesting.

From fortinos

Comments (10)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Pay attention to the WARNING !

BTW: How much it did it cost ?

Around here they sell them by piece not by the pound. I have seen some Naga in an up scale Asian Market..

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 1:41

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

I have never see those in any store or market here (and I look in a lot of markets). Weirdest I have seen in the market were some Tepin pods mixed with some Pequin chili's and that carton was labeled "crazy chili's". LOL

Those are really cool. Can't wait to see how mine turn out.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Dried Pequins are sold in most every grocery store down here. Usually in an end cap with bulk dried NM, ahchos, cascabels, guahillos, and chipotles.
    BTW, saw some Ghost pepper plants for sale in a local nursery. Pretty healthy looking too...

• bberkmor
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They were overpriced at $5 but I had to buy them. I had my first ever chocolate bhut last night. Tasty.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Awesome. Nice to see them getting a bit more mainstream.

Tom: Yeah, a local nursery chain carries them also. Bought my 1st plant there a couple years ago and it was just labeled GHOST -- turns out it was described as a Naga Cross here on GW. This year though, they had their own printed labels with "Bhut Jolokia." Was tempted to get it anyhow, but already have some youngins going.

Kevin

• kuvaszlvr
    9 years ago

I saw some in one of our local grocery stores about 3 yrs ago. Thing is, the fruit was really small, they looked more like small habs, maybe an inch long at most.
    Pam

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

That's an awesome find, I am always on the look out but mostly only find Habanero's and the lesser heat varieties. I hope I run into that while I am waiting for my seedlings to reach pepper producing stage.

• mswiggi
    9 years ago

I found some Bhuts several months ago at a shoprite (grocery store), I think they were priced around $7 for a small container with only four peppers in it.... Only saw the one time.

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Nice to see them in the stores, but if my count is correct... I see 6 peppers in there. At 5 bucks, this makes them $1.20 each. Not downing you by any means, I would have bought them too! My peppers are far from ready yet. I'm more thinking along the lines that whoever is selling these is making an outright killing! At that price a single plant would be worth 2-3 hundred dollars in yield - depending on size. Pretty wild to ponder.

Jay

• northern_hab
    9 years ago

bberkmor,
    Where is this Fortinos you speak of?

A co-worker saw them at his local Starsky's in Mississauga West. By the pound, open tray and pick as many as you want.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler