Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yummy find

Posted by bberkmor 6a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 17:59

Found some bhut's at the grocery store today :). Makes me wish it was summer already and we could be harvesting.

From fortinos photo 20140416_1745510_zpsouanhhpd.jpg photo 20140416_174536_zpsrzi9fazm.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yummy find

Pay attention to the WARNING !

BTW: How much it did it cost ?

Around here they sell them by piece not by the pound. I have seen some Naga in an up scale Asian Market..

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 1:41

o

I have never see those in any store or market here (and I look in a lot of markets). Weirdest I have seen in the market were some Tepin pods mixed with some Pequin chili's and that carton was labeled "crazy chili's". LOL

Those are really cool. Can't wait to see how mine turn out.

o

Dried Pequins are sold in most every grocery store down here. Usually in an end cap with bulk dried NM, ahchos, cascabels, guahillos, and chipotles.
BTW, saw some Ghost pepper plants for sale in a local nursery. Pretty healthy looking too...

o

They were overpriced at $5 but I had to buy them. I had my first ever chocolate bhut last night. Tasty.

o

Awesome. Nice to see them getting a bit more mainstream.

Tom: Yeah, a local nursery chain carries them also. Bought my 1st plant there a couple years ago and it was just labeled GHOST -- turns out it was described as a Naga Cross here on GW. This year though, they had their own printed labels with "Bhut Jolokia." Was tempted to get it anyhow, but already have some youngins going.

Kevin

o

I saw some in one of our local grocery stores about 3 yrs ago. Thing is, the fruit was really small, they looked more like small habs, maybe an inch long at most.
Pam

o

That's an awesome find, I am always on the look out but mostly only find Habanero's and the lesser heat varieties. I hope I run into that while I am waiting for my seedlings to reach pepper producing stage.

o

I found some Bhuts several months ago at a shoprite (grocery store), I think they were priced around $7 for a small container with only four peppers in it.... Only saw the one time.

o

• Posted by jutsFL 9b (Orlando) (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 0:24

Nice to see them in the stores, but if my count is correct... I see 6 peppers in there. At 5 bucks, this makes them $1.20 each. Not downing you by any means, I would have bought them too! My peppers are far from ready yet. I'm more thinking along the lines that whoever is selling these is making an outright killing! At that price a single plant would be worth 2-3 hundred dollars in yield - depending on size. Pretty wild to ponder.

Jay

o

bberkmor,
Where is this Fortinos you speak of?

A co-worker saw them at his local Starsky's in Mississauga West. By the pound, open tray and pick as many as you want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here