Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rt_peasant

Cooking with a Scorpion or a Reaper

rt_peasant
9 years ago

Hi, I have a roasted red bell pepper/habanero pasta sauce that I make once or twice a year. I normally use 3 habaneros/batch. I've used as many as 4, and that's about all the heat I can handle. Just for fun, I was thinking about growing a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion or a Carolina Reaper, to see if I could make the same sauce with 1 of those peppers. FWIW, I don't know what variety of habaneros I've used. I get them from the supermarket, they're orange, and not quite golf-ball sized.

2 questions:

1) Which pepper on average will add the most heat to the dish? By that, I mean, if a Scorpion has 20% less heat, but is 50% bigger than a Reaper, then I would expect it to add more total heat.

2) Is there a significant taste difference between the two, or is any difference likely to be lost once it's blended into a pint of cream-based sauce?

Thanks!
-Mark

Comments (9)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

I've never tried a Reaper but I have eaten a Scorpion.
    Keep in mind it was the hottest thing I have ever tried with the exception of being sprayed in the face with pepper spray for police training.

I would only use 1 reaper..maybe 2 scorps.
    Depends on volume.

Dave

• chilemilio
    9 years ago

I've found that the amount of heat retained in a sauce/stew can depend on how long you cook it for. I don't doubt that using those peppers will make it dam spicy... but if you consider the amount of oils that combust during the cooking process(sometimes gassing out the house), I think that results in lost overall spice. perhaps a 'mellowed out' spiciness?

I don't know how long you cook your sauce for.. I and couple friends usually throw the superhots chopped up, around the cooking down of the onions/garlic for the sake of infusing everything with the pepper oils.. then cooking low and slow.. and adding more later if we want to cry

I can't really speak to the flavor differences. but adding cream will tone down the heat.. I say throw a reaper AND a scorpion in! :-D

hope this helps, -E

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Yes there are flavor differences among the super-hots. Ghost, for instance, tastes of berries ... for about 3 seconds.

Whether the flavor differences survive your preparation there's no way to predict. I would be interested to learn what you find, though.

Dennis

• don555
    9 years ago

Consider your super-hots to be 6 to 8 times as hot as orange habaneros, and adjust the recipe accordingly.

• tomt226
    9 years ago

FWIW, I put six dried Ghosts to about a quart of bitter orange, water, roasted onion, garlic, carrot, and dried Numex Suave habanero. Spicy, but definitely not "killer."
    "Killer" is Xinepec made with a Ghost instead of a hab...

• rt_peasant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I finally got to make my roasted pepper sauce with a scorpion last night. I roasted the scorpion for 15 minutes before blending it in the rest of the sauce. Judging by the resulting heat, I'd say my one scorpion equaled about 3 habaneros. I was initially scared to try it, but the heat was totally manageable.

I wanted to taste the roasted scorpion by itself, so I ate the little bit that remained by the stem, after I cut the rest of the pepper off with a pair of scissors. The heat was instantaneous and spectacular, and I think I started hiccupping before I even had a chance to swallow. The flavor wasn't great - kind of bitter, to be honest. Like how I would imagine snake venom to taste. Once the pepper was mixed into the sauce, I don't think the flavor made any difference. The sauce tasted great - one of the best batches I've ever made.

• judo_and_peppers
    9 years ago

please feel free to post your recipe on here. it already sounds interesting.

which variety of "scorpion pepper" did you use?

• rt_peasant
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, I believe the scorpion I used was a Trinidad Moruga. A coworker grew it, so I'm not certain, but I think that's what the label said. I didn't think the pepper made a big difference to the overall sauce flavor, but my wife said she thought she could tell the difference. So I'll probably go back to using roasted habaneros.

I would share the sauce recipe with you in a heartbeat, but the creator of the recipe asked that I not share it. She didn't say why, but I'm going to respect her wishes. Without giving away the keys to her secret sauce, I would say that it's along the lines of this recipe, but blended with roasted red peppers.

• TNKS
    9 years ago

I used 4 Reaper pods to light a 3qt sauce brew recently
    Good flavor and respectable deep heat.

"Not all Reapers are the same" dont kid your self,source origin indeed has its merits