Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

Cans of chopped green chiles

seedmama
14 years ago

I use many many 4 ounces cans of chopped green chiles in cooking. I'd like like to grow and freeze peppers this year instead. What kind of pepper should I grow? Is it an Anaheim pepper?

Thanks,

Seedmama

Comments (11)

• jimster
    14 years ago

Anaheims, Poblanos or any of the Numex varieties such as Numex Joe E. Parker or Numex Big Jim are suitable for that use. They are large, mild chiles.

Jim

• seedmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jim!

• thenewmidwestchilehead
    14 years ago

seedmama, if you like them with a little heat, try the NuMex Barker chile. Also, new in the last two years, there are the NuMex Heritage varieties of the #6-4 and the Big Jim. They are supposed to have a little more heat and flavor than the old #6-4 and Big Jim varieties.

• smokemaster_2007
    14 years ago

The nursery here sells a pepper plant thats supposed to be whats in the cans.
    It's called Ortega Chil.

"Anaheim Pepper Seeds
    Scoville Rating of 500 to 2,500 Scoville Units
    Anaheim Peppers are a mild chile pepper. A farmer named Emilio Ortega introduced these peppers to the Anaheim, California area in the early 1900's. They are sometimes called California peppers."

• macheske
    14 years ago

Yes..the canned peppers are anaheims. After you pick them, roast them, seed and peel them and freeze them in a good freezer bag. I simply take them out of the freezer and chop off what I need with a very large strong knife. It works great and I still have about 4 pounds in my freezer from last year. The easy way to roast them is to put them on a tray and put them in the oven on broil until the top is black, them turn them over and repeat. Take them out of the oven and put them in a plastic bag for about 10 minutes. They should peel fairly easy that way.

• seedmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all for all the varietal suggestions,and the detail on them too. Now I know what to look for when I go shopping.

Thanks macheske for reminding me that they are roasted. I'd totally forgotten that part. Without your reminder I would have frozen them raw.

Thanks!
    Seedmama

• thenewmidwestchilehead
    14 years ago

seedmama, once you grow your own you will never go back to the canned green chiles you get at the store. Fresh roasted and frozen chiles are much more flavorful than anything you can get in a can. I stock up on hot Hatch green chile when I go back to New Mexico, but only use them when I'm feeling lazy or serving them to folks who won't know the difference.

• thenewmidwestchilehead
    14 years ago

And another thing . . .

I roast mine on the grill, then sweat in plastic bags, then freeze. The skin really seems to come off easier after freezing. And rather than chopping frozen chiles with a big knife, you can chop after defrosting and skinning, then mix with a little water (and garlic salt or powder, or whatever you like), then spoon into ice cube trays and freeze. Then, when you need chile, add a frozen cube or two or twelve to you posole or heat a couple in the microwave to pour over your burrito, taco, whatever. Enjoy!

• seedmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks MWCH. Great suggestions on technique. I hadn't thought about adding water or garlic.

One more question for you. "you can chop after defrosting and skinning" Did you intend to say "you can chop after 'roasting' and skinning"?

• thenewmidwestchilehead
    14 years ago

Sorry, I roast, then freeze. I only skin after defrosting the frozen chiles. Then chop and enjoy!

• seedmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Got it! Thanks!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor