Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

chile.. darn wind!!

vieja_gw
11 years ago

Hubby had his150 or so chile plants he grows from seed at the stage where they needed to be acclimated to the outdoors. Yesterday we moved the many trays of the chilies in their individual cups out to the garden & placed the trays on sheets of plywood & covered the whole area with row cloths. Day was overcast, warm & little breeze but during the night the wind must have picked up & though the row cloths were still in place, the movement bent over most of the plants beneath!! Thankfully, no plants broke & by afternoon it seems the plants are standing back a lot. First week in May they will all be transplanted into the garden. Oh, what tricks Mother Nature can play on we gardeners, huh?! Cousin in the NE had drought, heat, horrible garden last year, now: late snows, rain, rain,late frosts... can't till the garden because of the mud!! Here in zone 7 New Mexico fruit trees got an early start, warm winter, early spring, little fruits had set... now a late frost one night last week & think ALL are lost for the season! We get good fruit crops maybe every three years!!

Comments (2)

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

It seems every year it's something different. I'm glad to hear your plants are okay. I remember last year we had to cover everything 3 or 4 times because of frost. The same time this year, it was 80 during the day and 60 at night. That was 2 weeks ago, now they are calling for highs around 60 and lows around 40....go figure.

Tim

• daisydawnny
    11 years ago

Had my peppers in the unheated greenhouse last night ...did not look so good...gave them a drink and sunshine and much better today. It got COLD! I am so ready for the weather to break.

Sponsored