Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chile.. darn wind!!

Posted by vieja z7NM (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 18:37

Hubby had his150 or so chile plants he grows from seed at the stage where they needed to be acclimated to the outdoors. Yesterday we moved the many trays of the chilies in their individual cups out to the garden & placed the trays on sheets of plywood & covered the whole area with row cloths. Day was overcast, warm & little breeze but during the night the wind must have picked up & though the row cloths were still in place, the movement bent over most of the plants beneath!! Thankfully, no plants broke & by afternoon it seems the plants are standing back a lot. First week in May they will all be transplanted into the garden. Oh, what tricks Mother Nature can play on we gardeners, huh?! Cousin in the NE had drought, heat, horrible garden last year, now: late snows, rain, rain,late frosts... can't till the garden because of the mud!! Here in zone 7 New Mexico fruit trees got an early start, warm winter, early spring, little fruits had set... now a late frost one night last week & think ALL are lost for the season! We get good fruit crops maybe every three years!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chile.. darn wind!!

It seems every year it's something different. I'm glad to hear your plants are okay. I remember last year we had to cover everything 3 or 4 times because of frost. The same time this year, it was 80 during the day and 60 at night. That was 2 weeks ago, now they are calling for highs around 60 and lows around 40....go figure.

Tim

o
RE: chile.. darn wind!!

Had my peppers in the unheated greenhouse last night ...did not look so good...gave them a drink and sunshine and much better today. It got COLD! I am so ready for the weather to break.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here