Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjp8

Ghost Pepper Noob

TJP8
10 years ago

Hi guys!
I'm completely new to the hot pepper scene.... Or starting plants from the seed at all for that matter. At the end of last summer I ordered ghost pepper seeds and tried growing them. They would sprout but then I'd come back from school one day and they'd be withered and dead. Either that or they just wouldn't develop beyond they're first set of leaves. I'm probably a little late for this season again as I live in Illinois, but I'm hoping I'm not. Today I decided to start with a different approach. I got a self watering burpee seed starter from Home Depot. I planted all of the seeds and put a small heating pad under it.(I think the heating pad is from like a hermit crab or something and it covers about half of the bottom, but at least they'll be warm) Will they grow well in this? If I'm able to get them started I will probably place each in a gallon planter. Also if I'm too late for this year will I be able to keep the plants indoor over the winter? Any hints or changes to what I'm doing is greatly appreciated. I hope that at least someone will be willing to help me along the way because I know absolutely nothing about growing peppers or growing plants from the seed.
Thanks so much!
TJ

This post was edited by TJP8 on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 20:23

Comments (12)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

I dont suggest the self watering system. Your previous problems were probably moisture related. Either too much or too little. Peppers dont like constant or excessive moisture. They prefer very well draining soil. The problem with that and seedlings is that it doesn't take much time without water for them to die...mature plants can be quite wilted and spring back minutes after watering.
    The heating pad is fine as long as you don't over due it. If you don't have a way to measure and control the heat, you should probably stay away from it...room temps will work fine or just putting the tray on top of a DVR is enough to boost it 5 to 10 degrees without risking cooking them. Seed starting mix is OK to start the seeds, but soon after sprouting they should be transfered to a better draining mix. Seed starting mix is usually nearly all peat which isn't a good medium by itself for peppers. You could add perlite to make it more "airy". But a good, easily obtainable mix for seedlings is Miracle Grow Orchid Mix. It has pine bark and perlite in it which is much better for small peppers. It is pretty expensive for large containers though. You will probably want to use something else when the time comes to pot it up for the summer time out doors. I would suggest at least a two gallon container for that. 3-5 gallons is better. Bigger than that is even better but not necessary. You are going to have a tough time getting them to put out ripe peppers but you will likely get some of them to ripen before the winter returns. But you will probably have a ton of green ones still on the plant at that time. Can you overwinter it? Certainly, just do a search on the forum for overwintering peppers. There are many threads dealing with that and many posts in each of those threads.

Good luck, I hope this helps,
    Bruce

• stoneys_fatali
    10 years ago

I started my Scorpion seeds last September by using small pots with plastic wrap indoors under my sky lights. I didn't use heating pads or artificial light but I'm also in California where the climate is much warmer. In a few weeks, I had sprouts and took the plastic wrap off. They were also in seed starting mix where they remained until they grew there first set of 4 true leaves. I then changed the soil as Bruce suggested, and they did well. Water often.
    Make sure to harden them off or you will be sorry before planting outdoors.
    I put one in the ground and one in a pot. They both seem to be doing well.
    Good luck.
    Dave

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

What Bruce said. A good way to keep from overwatering is the skewer test --- take a bamboo skewer, stick it in the soil, if soil comes out on it, don't water. No soil, water thoroughly. Let dry out again before watering thoroughly again.

Sounds also like you may have had damping off fungus. To prevent this, bottom water. Also, set up a small fan to circulate the air. To deter fungus gnats, sprinkle a bit of cinnamon around the seedlings. To kill fungus gnat larvae, water the plants with a 4:1 water to hydrogen peroxide(3%) solution.

It does sound a bit late to start long season peppers like ghosts. An option for you could be to buy 6 plant minimum from Cross Country Nurseries. Reasonably priced and every seedling I've seen from them are in excellent condition after being shipped.

Good luck.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 12:26

• TJP8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I appreciate it guys! I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again soon.

• stoneys_fatali
    10 years ago

Kevin, bamboo skewer? Would a chopstick be okay?

Dave

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Well, yes to a wooden chopstick - you want to be able to see that the wood is wet. Plastic chopstick wouldn't work.

• TJP8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi guys,
    I just wanted to check in. Its been a little over two weeks since I planted these Ghosts. So far about 75% have germinated! I was wondering if there is anything I should change or if I should just continue what im doing and be patient. Typically how long does it take to get 2 true leaves, 4 true leaves, and so on? Also Should I be fertilizing at all? Theyre in growing pellet soil right now so its probably not that nutrient rich. I also did the hydrogen peroxide watering as well as sprinkling cinnamon on top of the soil. Ill post pictures!
    Thanks!

• TJP8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heres all of them. The other was just the largest one.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Don't begin fertilizing until they have a set of true leaves, and begin fertilizing at a reduced rate.

Josh

• TJP8
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When they have a set of true leaves coming in or when they are fully developed? Is this miracle grow good?

Here is a link that might be useful: Miracle gro

This post was edited by TJP8 on Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 21:10

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Well, it's what I use. Therefore it must be good.

Dennis

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County