Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woohooman

leaf curl

What causes DOWNWARD leaf curl. A few of my seedlings exhibit it. Annuums don't at all, just a few superhots.

Thanks

Kevin

Comments (11)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Hey, Kevin, a pic por favor! :-)

Josh

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hope this helps some, Josh. I notice it's pretty much just 2 of the 3 7 POTs.

Thanks

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 20:41

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Where is the leaf curl? The plant looks like it had enough sun and relaxing the leaves. The tips curled in a bit nothing out of the ordinary. The plant looks healthy to me.

Mark

• mctiggs
    11 years ago

Perhaps a calcium problem? I had this last year and added a little bonemeal, it seemed to work.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Mark:

Here's a couple more pics-- I don't think light(or sun) has anything to do with it. On the left, a 7 pot that I think is most severe. Middle, a 7 pot that shows some but not nearly as much. Right, a Bhut that seems normal for the most part.

By the way, thanks for the seeds last year -- too bad they had to be the victims of my boneheadedness(cooked).

Kevin

Original Author
    11 years ago

2nd pic.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Kevin, check under the leaves especially the lower ones, any signs of aphids? If nothing, what have you been giving them for fertilizer? Also how long have they been hardening off?

Mark

Original Author
    11 years ago

Mark: No aphids. I check them each evening when I bring them back inside.

Ferts: so far, 1 dose of weak MG AP and 1 weak dose of Alaska Fish fert.

Hardening -- for a few days. mainly shaded with "some" sun getting through the slatted patio cover. Today, they're getting a few hours of full sun. Then, they're brought in at night. They've been like this almost the whole time since germination.

I'm thinking of repotting to a coarser mix tomorrow(modified 5-1-1) and giving a good flush while I'm at it.

Kevin

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Mark asked all the right questions, and Kevin you've provided all the answers :-)
    I still don't know exactly why those leaves look that way, or if it's a bad indicator; I've certainly seen pictures of many young plants like that, and I assume that the plant will outgrow this transitional vegetative stage, whether there were weather, fertilizer, or insect damage.

I think your plan is a good one. Re-pot, keep them in that partial sun for a couple days after the re-pot, then continue working them into the sun after that.

Are you adding a slow-release fertilizer to your mix? If not, be sure to fertilize 1 - 2 after re-potting. With vegetables and other fast-growing plants, I only wait about a week to resume fertilization.

Josh

• Bill_Missy
    11 years ago

Kevin,

I have alot of plants that look kind of like that. But, in my opinion mine are fine as I think yours are. Dont take this wrong, but could this be "worrying" and/or "babying" to much.

Bill

Original Author
    11 years ago

Josh: No ferts in the very small batch of new mix -- just a teensy amount of lime. I just took a few handfuls of microbark and added a tad perlite. I plan on mixing the current soil with that, rinsing the roots gently and repack in a slightly larger pot. Then flush. Yep -- I should be able to resume ferts next week.

Bill: Nope. I've already been down that path before. Not too worried. In the past, I've noticed this look to be a precursor to damping off. But, I think I'm past that critical stage.

Just a bit curious.

it could be just this particular cultivar because all 3 plants exhibit it -- 2 of them a bit more pronounced.

Thanks

Kevin

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services