Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just something to irritate MOST of you P

Posted by woohooman San Diego CA 10a (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 19:24

Here's my 10 day forecast.

If it makes you feel any better, my lettuces are done and my cilantro is flowering.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Summer for a week

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just something to irritate MOST of you P

Wow Kevin, that sucks... all that heat! I feel for ya ;-)

Unfortunately, I'm a little north east where ma nature isn't so kind. At least we're breaking into the 50s for a few days!

Seriously, how's the water situation out there? Any relief from your drought?

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 19:44

o

Kevin that's some great weather, usually we are in the low to upper 60's but no such luck, just chilly. Yeah I'm jealous send that warm weather to the east coast please.

Bill looks like you are having a tropical heat wave!

Mark

o

79F here today...probably warmer even, but I didn't check my thermometer until after 4:00pm. Too hot for my tastes!

Bill, we got a lot of rain over the past few storms, but not significant snow-pack....so the Droughtmongering continues.

Josh

o

Kevin, that looks like summer, for sure.

Bill, hang in there ! Those lows should improve soon, I hope.

Here is a link to my weather:

Here is a link that might be useful: Not quite summer yet

o

WOW Bill! That's chilly. Kevin, your temps look a lot like ours right now, other than the 90's and tonight it's supposed to dip to 39. But, you never let your guard down, April can get downright cold at times, especially during the herb fairs.
Pam

o

MN is finally getting a bit of warmth for a few days during the day, but the nights are still dipping down.... By now are nights should be staying warmer, but at least we aren't freezing during the day anylonger...

o

This is great. Even MN , zone 4, is warming up not far behind WA, zone 7/8. Today we have overcast skies, high 62F, low 42F tonight. Best weather for my peppers out there to harden off.

o

97 degrees, seriously? I am jealous of the all the nice weather. It is warming up a little bit here too. But it still might snow on april 15th ouch. Here is a link to my 10 day. It will probably be another month before I put them outside.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Cuyahoga+Falls+OH+44221

o

Just remember, you can always put on enough clothes to git warm, but you can't take off enough clothes to git cool.
A Texasism...

o

and oklahomaism. ;-) When the lake water starts feeling like bath water, even in the middle of the lake, you know you are in trouble. ;-)
Pam

o

Here is my forecast down in Medellin, Colombia...

75-80 degrees for the next 365 days.

Seriously though, the temperature has risen a few degrees, we might be in the low 80s these days and the locals can barely deal with the heat... they are calling this one of the worst heat waves they've ever seen. I can't imagine if they were to ever really feel 95 degree weather, lol!

Here is a pic going around (tierra = earth, antioquia = state)

photo antioquia-1.jpg

o

I guess I shouldn't have been bragging earlier. I was hoping to put my peppers out soon, then I looked at the forecast, they are forecasting at least 3 nights of mid 30's for lows next week. :-(
Dang!
Pam

o

Ok. I am glad THAT THE spring is coming , no matter what.
My current conditions: Clear, NO rain: 42F - 64F( +/- 3, i.e 39 - 67F).
Pepper wise, tomorrow is the day to get started with potting them up for good.
All my peppers are going into pots. It is going to be a beautiful 61F sunny day, Perfect to work without sweating. I have a barrel full of 5-1-1. All systems =GO!

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 2:39

o

Personally, I think it's still too cool for you seysonn, but you live, you learn.

Glad to hear a lot of the country isn't dealing with the big deep freezes so much anymore..

For me, looks like it's going to start cooling back down again, but these 90's did wonders for the soil temps. We'll still get a few jolts like these before August when it really heats up here, but most of the time it will be glorious 70's-80's.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: April outlook

o

salevene, to be fair, 82F at 100% humidity feels a heck of a lot warmer than 95F at 15% humidity.

P.S. That's why I don't live in Houston.

P.P.S. Good picture!

o

You aren't too far from me Kevin, about 90 miles. We are supposed to get a warm up here Monday through Thursday - mid 80's.

o

And we are looking at 45 for a high tomorrow and 29 for a low Tues morning, and 30's for lows on either side of Tues.... I am so ready to put up the heaters in the GH.
Pam

o

Y'all are lucky. It's 37 right now and will be below 30 tomorrow in rochester. We're getting snow tonight.

o

That's crazy MorugaMan!

Your plants are indoors, right?

o

Personally, I think it's still too cool for you seysonn, but you live, you learn.
%%%%%%%%%%
Yeah Kevin, I am learning PNW.
I have still my peppers under the hoop but I have planted about 20 tomatoes so far. We have had lows down to 38. NO PROBLEM. The lows last just for about hour and half, not all night long. Tonight we will hit 41F. For the next 10 days lows will be 43 to 46F. That is great for Seattle area.
I think plants also learn to live with the conditions they are in, as long as the colds an heat are not in extremes.

o

Yes Stoney's they are. I have a short season so probably won't be getting them out till a little after The beginning of May. It's quite depressing but they are getting pretty big so no worries. I'll still enjoy what nature has to offer

o

Hey MorugaMan, it's snowing in western OK this morning and along the border of OK and KS (actually there's a band running from north to south moving east). If the temps drop much lower here we might get some snow too, right now it's about 100 miles west of us. They are saying we will probably set a record tomorrow morning for the low not only for that day but for the latest low in the season.
Pam

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 8:25

My forecast: Low of 19 tonight on top of 6" of new snow last night.
Bruce

This post was edited by esox07 on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 8:27

o

Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 8:26

Peppers are fine though.
Bruce

o

So glad you had them covered, Bruce!

Last night was chilly....but not snowing here. My peppers are outside, though, and they will be griping....

Josh

o

Yep, the cold of winter has returned to MN. After a week of Spring like weather are thermometers are not going to get out of the 30's much if at all until weeks end. Currently at lunch time it's 34 degrees. I had thought about putting some of my pepper plants out to the greenhouse (hardsideded and has heater) but decided I'd hold off till this coming weekend.

No snow in the twin city area - all stayed south of us...

o

I don't feel as bad now after knowing some of you have gotten a bunch of snow. Bruce- how is it staying warm in that little greenhouse? I had the same one but the dam think blew down the street so I had to throw it away. Good luck to you all with low temps. Don't worry we will get them out and we will do well!!!

o

Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 16:29

I run a small space heater that has a built in thermostat. It got down to just 47 last night inside. Supposed to be a low of 19 tonight so it may get a little cooler inside but should still stay well above 40. I could turn it up but I think that is good enough to ensure the cold it wont harm the plants.
Bruce

o

Bruce, you are a fighter. When is your LFD?

We are not in Florida or California here in PNW. Our average normal temps are 42 to 62F. That is what we have now and that is what will be til mid May or later. So the life here is on slow motion.

Tonight, for the first time ALL my peppers are outside in the open. No more sheltering. The low will be about 44F.

I hope I didn't irritate anyone:)

o

I can't believe that Bruce..wow!

It's a very good thing you have that little heater :-)

Your plants look good!

o

WOW! Look at all that snow. I am really hoping we do not get that much snow tomorrow. It was 75 today and tomorrow we have a low of 21 and a high of 34 with 100% chance of snow. The sad thing is, 6 weeks from now it will probably be in the 90s with 95% humidity and we will be complaining about the heat.

o

Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 11:40

Last frost date is last week in May. Temps should slowly rise into the 60's for highs by early next week. Normals now are 58 highs and 32 lows. We just had a strong cold front come through but that has been the MO for this winter and it just doesn't seem to want to give it up yet. Another 1/2" of snow last night. But like I said, things are looking to start improving now.
Bruce

o

WOW Bruce, sorry for all the snow, but it is pretty. ;-) You are lucky, only 1 heater.... most of the winter I had 3-5 heaters going, depending on how cold it got. 19 degrees would mean 4 heaters running. God only knows how much we spent on electricity.
Pam

o

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for sending the snow my way, not.

Gotta love spring in Ottawa. 77F yesterday afternoon on the deck. 65-70 MPH kicked in late afternoon and temps dropped to just above freezing overnight. Woke up to rain this morning that turned to freezing rain and then ice pellets. After all that fun, Bruce's snow started. Got home to:

It's 25F (11F with windchill) now and down to 14 overnight.

I grow weary of this never ending winter. I'm lighting a fire and I'm going to enjoy a few "strong" Bloody Marys (made with my Red Savina infused vodka).

Disregard any further posts tonight... they may be incoherent ;-)

o

You guys up north, stop irritating us ! lol

o

YOWSA!! 14 for a low... I thought 32 this time of year was bad.
I feel for you Bill & Bruce.
Pam

o

Tomorrow is 84 for us low 57. Plants are really starting to like it :-)

o

C'mon Stoney! Give them the full 10-day!

Sorry Bill, Pam, and Bruce.. I had to. Even though you're 3 of my favorites.

:P

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Why it's so damn expensive to live in SoCal

This post was edited by woohooman on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 23:29

o

Tomorrow is 84 for us low 57. Plants are really starting to like it :-)
%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Dave, that is about our peak sometime in July. MAYBE ! 58 is about our high for the next 5 days.
I am irritated enough. Thank you . hehe

o

"C'mon Stoney! Give them the full 10-day!"

Nah. Enough abuse for one day :o

o

Kevin... :-P~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually, there's no way I'll complain, not when I see and hear what Bruce and Bill are going through. We should be through with our cold, 40's and 50's for lows and 70's for highs for the next 12 days. To me, that's perfect weather, considering by June Bill and Bruce are going to be rubbing everyone's noses in it when we and are plants are cooking in the summer sun. ;-)
Pam

P.S. you guys are 3 of my faves too... although, where's scorpion John been lately, I haven't seen any posts from him in ages.

This post was edited by kuvaszlvr on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 8:23

o

Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 9:38

Well, things should start improving now. Still have snow on 50% of the ground around here but a gradual warm up is on tap to more normal temps. Hopefully this will stretch out East to everyone else as well.

o

> "where's scorpion John been lately"

Have you seen the number of plants he's dealing with? He's having more fun than we are. :D

Dennis

o

Bruce, your weather looks promising. That snow was like a false alarm.
You can get ready to start with tomatoes. I have planted most of my maters and peppers and will have lows down to 40F in a couple of days.
My tomatoes have taken 38F on the chin, few nights and they are actually growing. And our highs are in 58-62Frange.
By the end of May our highs average will reach 68F. The Pacific Ocean controls the weather here. The high-low difference is very narrow, about 16F.

This one is interesting : TODAY'S HIGH =52F, TONIGHT'S LOW = 48F :: Delta T = 4 degrees.

o

I'm going to be nice and not annoy you with what the weather has been over here in San Antonio.. (except for the last two days when we got a cold front) :)

o

Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 18:55

Seysonn: Yah, it was not ordinary weather for mid April. I am crossing my fingers that it just one last gasp by the Winter Gremlins. I planted tomatoes several weeks ago. They are getting pretty tall now....4-6". I hope I don't have to up pot them before I can plant them out for the summer....six weeks..Yikes.

SproutingLexi: Yep, I spent 5 years in S.A. while in the Army. I will be laughing at you in July when you get that 10 days of 105 and sunny during the day and 80 at night every day for ten straight days. It happens every year at least once. I can remember having to to Physical Training during those times. We would have to get up and go out to do it at 4am while it was still "COOL" outside. Just going out to get the mail forces a guy to take a shower.

o

Yeah, Bruce. We will have our turn when their peppers are going to be GRILLED under sun. haha

o

80 for lows? Hey Bruce, there's times in August I'd love 80 at night. ;-)

And Dennis, heck, I have almost 3000 plants (more if you include all my flowers, herbs, and coleus) in the greenhouse and I still have time to write. Seems like John has gotten bored with us.
Pam

o

Pam, you are having WAY too much fun. Does your husband know about your plant affair?

o

Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 14:15

I think she posted before that they have an open relationship and Peppers are fine as long as she doesn't stray from there.
Photobucket
Bruce

o

hahahaha, yep, leave it to me to go away for a short while (pepper fair saturday, ends up non-stop from thursday afternoon until sunday morning.

although I have to admit Bruce, my husband's favorite comment is, "once the pie has been cut nobody is going to miss a piece or two."

Pam

o

hahahaha, yep, leave it to me to go away for a short while (pepper fair saturday, ends up non-stop from thursday afternoon until sunday morning.

although I have to admit Bruce, my husband's favorite comment is, "once the pie has been cut nobody is going to miss a piece or two."

Pam

o

Time to irritate a bit :)

Starting tomorrow we will have a 9 days of super nice weather here in the PNW.
62/44 --74/45 --81/48 -- 87/50 ---79/50 ---65/45 --61/45 --61/45 -- 62/42 -- I love it. It has been a long 6 months.

I have heard it is going to be REAL HOT in zone 9b , California.

What is happening in WI, Bruce ?

o

Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 8:26

Nothing is happening is WI. It is still the Winter Monsoon season here, I think.
To be fair, we should be in the low to mid 60's for highs right now but this has been the mode for three months now with day time highs averaging about ten degrees below normal. And this excessive rain is getting out of hand as well. Even a little sun would make things bearable.
Bruce

o

well, we're in a drought, and saturday we had a high of 85 or 87, we were out all day at the herb fair (7am to 4pm), it was hot and the wind was screaming like a bat out of hell. At least it's going to cool off into the 60's for highs for the next week.
Pam

o

Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 17:24

Well Pam, as you can see, along with the cool temps here, we have been getting plenty of rain with more on the way. They are talking possible record April rainfall here. I am right in the middle of the red swath in S. Central Wisconsin. The peppers are still in the green house, but they could use some real sunlight and warmer temps. The heater only keeps it in the mid 50's. And the perpetual cloudy skies is about as effective as full shade.

I am guessing you are located in the South or Southwest according to this map.
Bruce

o

Talking about rain. We get it ALL the time. But right now our rain season is coming to an end. We get a lot of gentle, drizzly rain, no down pours, no high winds. Thank Pacific Ocean. It is always calm.

Today was not very warm (Just 62F high) starting tomorrow it is going to get into 70s and 80s for a week. My peppers like it a lot and so do I. This time around the soil temps are going to get a kick.

Bruce posted a RAIN map. Here is a temperature map at the moment. WI is still a bit blue. It won't be too long when all the air is blended.

o

Bruce, outside of Tulsa, ok. It's funny, people seem to forget about the dust bowl days, they act like a drought in this part of the country is a rarity. What scares me, is this area (luckily we are on the far fringes) has experienced droughts lasting 1000 years. If we are heading into one of those, it'd make the dust bowl days look quaint by comparison. Honestly, I prefer a bit dry to wet. We had one really wet summer a few years ago, it was miserable, heat, humidity, mowing every 2-3 days, garden did great though.
Pam

o

Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 13:10

Pam:

Al Gore says we are having climate change so I am sure the 1000 year cycle is all jacked up now.....probably be a rain forest down there in a couple years. You should move to wisconsin, I am gonna start some palm tree seeds with my peppers next year.
Photobucket
Bruce

o

And we all know Al Gore knows his science. ;-)

Sorry you Pacific NW guys, but NO! I love the NW (my aunt lived in Centralia and I loved to visit her) but no way could I live in a rain forest environment, I need more sun! I would pick WI but from the sounds you are making Bruce, you guys might be the ones ready to turn into a rain forest. Hey, send me some Palm seedlings. ;-)
Pam

o

Going to hit 94 today..97 by Thursday.

Dave

o

I am just a new transplant here in PNW. Trying to adjust to the rain forest weather. The natives love it. They say clouds and rain keep us warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

OK. Back to irritate: Today was 78F sunny, gorgeous day. The next 4 days will more of the same.
Wishing you a nice weather. hehe

BTW: I have lived in Joplin, MO, in the tornado alley for couple of yours.

o

Bruce,

I seem to be in your wake weather wise so far this year. Had a decent day yesterday with some sun and a high of 57 but your rain started today. The forecast for the next 7+ days is cool/cold and rain, Thanks!

Dave and seysonn, to quote a classic Jimmy Buffet lyric; "the weather is here, wish you were beautiful". Thanks for rubbing your temps in ;-))

To brighten up the weather misery talk, thought I'd share this shot. I use "Sticky Sticks" (basically super sticky fly paper on 6" posts) to keep fungus gnats in check. I had a few trays out on the deck yesterday to sort plants, didn't notice my pooch had taken an interest until he came by for a little help.

o

Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 10:24

lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here