Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepper_rancher

CrossCountryNursery delivery arrived!

pepper_rancher
11 years ago

My pepper plants arrived today from Cross Country Nursery! I missed out on starting seedlings this year, so i ordered plants as to not be too late in establishing my peppers.

I took the year off last year, im back with a vengeance this year! I got 7 pot, 7 pot douglah, Red Savina, Moruga Scorpion, and Moruga Scorpion (Yellow)

I was expecting bare-root, barely alive plants, but these are healthy and ready to transplant!

Its (obviously) considerably more costly than starting from seeds, but very convenient, has anyone used them before?

Comments (47)

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Wow! Those are some beautiful plants. I've never used Cross Country personally, but I've heard a lot of people recommend them. It seems they are a very reliable source for exotic plants. Good Luck!

Tim

• littlepepperboy
    11 years ago

How much for those plants? and how many did you get?

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Same here...I've always heard good things about them, but, never used them myself. But, those look great!! Welcome back! :-)

• romy6
    11 years ago

Man that is what I call a score. Nice purchase for sho:)

• GoldCone
    11 years ago

Beautiful plants you received there!!

Regarding the fact on how many of us can sometimes struggle on our seedlings, it's a good move in my opinion.

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The super hot varieties are $3.75 (I think most other plants are $3.45) plus a flat shipping rated based on how many plants you get. I got 24, shipping was $20. So, it was costly, but most hobbies are!

• cjohansen
    11 years ago

It's a little expensive, but nowhere near what I spent this year (my first) buying seeds, lighting, medium, fertilizer, cups and containers etc. Not to mention electricity... I gave up the idea that these will be cheap peppers long time ago. It's still a fun hobby though :)

Plants look great!

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Those look super. Happy for you!

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Just ordered. Couldn't help it.

1 7 POT (Chile/Pepper Plants) $3.75 $3.75
    1 BHUT JOLOKIA (Chile/Pepper Plants) $3.75 $3.75
    1 BIG BERTHA HYBRID (Chile/Pepper Plants) $3.45 $3.45
    1 CHOCOLATE BEAUTY HYBRID (Chile/Pepper Plants) $3.45 $3.45
    1 DEVIL'S TONGUE (Chile/Pepper Plants) $3.75 $3.75
    1 FATALII (Chile/Pepper Plants) $3.75 $3.75
    1 HABANERO CHOCOLATE (Chile/Pepper Plants) $3.75 $3.75
    2 JAMAICAN HOT CHOCOLATE (Chile/Pepper Plants) $3.75 $7.50
    1 MORUGA SCORPION (Chile/Pepper Plants) $3.75 $3.75
    1 PEPERONCINI (Chile/Pepper Plants) $3.45 $3.45
    1 TRINIDAD SCORPION (Chile/Pepper Plants)

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Do you think you can take a picture of one of the plants out of the box or even after you repot? I am more interested than ever now since I just ordered. My shipping was $14.00, by the way, for 12 plants. $58.10 delivered for the aforementioned list of plants.

Did USPS leave them on your doorstep or did you have to be home to sign for them?

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They drop off (no signature required)... I can send a better pic when I get home

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

And they defy gravity!!! :)

Thanks much!

• sidhartha0209
    11 years ago

Cool! Those plants look to be in good shape. This is the first year I've ordered from CCN; I love the way their website is laid out to accommodate some research, it's very informative, at least for me it was

Here's my order from them, it's due to be shipped last week of April. I went with two each of the earliest season baccatuums, chinense, and heart tomatoes to grow at my latitude.

2 AJI CRISTAL (Chile/Pepper Plants)
    2 AJI HABANERO (Chile/Pepper Plants)
    2 AJI OMNICOLOR (Chile/Pepper Plants)
    2 BENI HIGHLANDS (Chile/Pepper Plants)
    2 CARMINE (Chile/Pepper Plants)
    2 CRIOLLA SELLA (Chile/Pepper Plants)
    2 INCA RED DROP (Chile/Pepper Plants)
    2 LIMO (Chile/Pepper Plants)
    2 LIMON (Chile/Pepper Plants)
    2 NARDELLO (Chile/Pepper Plants)
    2 PIMIENTO DE CHIERO (Chile/Pepper Plants)
    2 YUMMY ORANGE (Chile/Pepper Plants)
    2 ANNA RUSSIAN (Tomato Plants)
    2 KOSOVO (Tomato Plants)
    2 ORANGE OXHEART (Tomato Plants)

This post was edited by sidhartha0209 on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 14:19

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

That's a nice order, Sid.

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

I've ordered from them several times in the past, and have always been very pleased. They make it a breeze and their quality and variety is exceptional.

I'm glad to see they lowered their minimum to 12 plants this year...in the past its always been 18.

Best of luck with your new plants (although I'm sure you won't need it).

Alex

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

They look great! If you order and have them come later in the season do they come already hardened off so you can plop them in full sun?

Mark

• sidhartha0209
    11 years ago

"That's a nice order, Sid."

Heheh, I've tweaked the list twice since my original order in January; that's another nice thing about CCN, they don't charge the card until shipment and you can modify your order anytime before that.

Correction: "Payment will be charged one week prior to shipping."

This post was edited by sidhartha0209 on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 17:30

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a pic in the sunlight

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Very nice! $3.75 isn't a lot for a plant of that vigor.

It makes me wonder what the heck I've been working so hard for these last months! :\

I'd like to see a close up of how they were packaged for shipping, if that is possible. And how were they shipped? FedEx?

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

UPS; it's a pretty clever packaging design actually. This unit ships inside a larger box (with more units like this one)

This post was edited by pepper_rancher on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 17:29

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

Those plants look great! I am a huge fan of Cross Country Nurseries, in the past few years I've purchased at least 100 plants from them and each and every one grew successfully and with little to no issues.

I live only a short drive from their greenhouses so it's quite a treat to visit them and pick out my own plants each year. Imagine a full size green house filled with over 500 varieties of peppers alphabetized for your convenience. Their search feature on their website will get you just the right pepper and they are very friendly. When you go there in person most pepper plants are only $2.00 per.
    I've never had a delivery from them but I've heard very good things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article about Cross Country Nurseries

• ab2008
    11 years ago

I'd look into ordering some, and the plants do look in very good shape!

I don't know though, I have a blast starting my own seeds though, however if something happened and couldn't get germination and stuff, I'm glad I came across this link though. I'll definitely keep it bookmarked in case I ever need it.

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lol... so i just now got the "And they defy gravity!!! :)" comment... I posted that picture on my iphone, and it looks normal when viewing the posting from iphone.. but when viewed from the PC, it is upsidedown... apparently all the picture posts i have made from iphone are like that.

Nice.

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Hahahaha, Pepperrancher. Hey, It Happens. My Sweet Order Is Due To Arrive Thursday. Woo!

• pepper_rancher
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hope you post pictures! I am curious if peppers that ship later in the season from CCN are bigger/older, or do they stagger their germinations so that all plants that ship are the same size/age.
    If anyone knows for sure please let me know!

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Well, they are on a UPS truck for deivery today. Pretty quick order fulfillment and shipping, IMO.

Ordered Friday and here on Thursday from NJ to FL.

Hopefully I will be able to post pics in a few days of my order.

Good times!

• austinnhanasmom
    11 years ago

Those plants look awesome!!

Someone once told me that he doesn't bother starting his own seeds, just orders from CCN.

Life got in the way of pepper seed starting for me in 2013....it's frustrating for me to buy plants locally only to discover that the label was incorrect.

I've wanted to order from CCN for years, but didn't actually order until this year

My order:
    Achar
    Aji Cito
    Aji Colorado
    Aji Omnicolor
    Bahamian
    Beni Highlands
    Cayenne Buist's Yellow
    Criolla Sella
    Dedo De Moca
    Doux d'Espagne
    Georgia Flame
    Grenada Seasoning
    Jalapeno Jumbo
    Jaloro
    Kalocsa Paprika
    Koir Sitakame
    Orozco
    Pimiento De Chiero
    Shishito
    Tobago Seasoning
    Trinidad Perfume
    Trinidad Seasoning
    Trinidad Smooth
    Trotolino Amoraoso
    Vietnamese Multicolor

4 x serranos for a friend
    and one tomato plant (Heart of Compassion) to fill the minimum order :-)

My order is scheduled to ship next week. Can't wait!!!

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Mine Look Great. Here Is My Hand Next To My Trinidad Scorpion. And I Have Huge Hands; I'm 6'4".

Very Pleased!

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Here Is The Arsenal:

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

duplicate Post.

This post was edited by jifjifjif on Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 22:46

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Nice Order, Austin

• sidhartha0209
    11 years ago

Good lookin' order there jif.

Did you get everything you wanted? Or were there substitutions?

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Got Everything I Ordered.

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Here is my entire garden for 2013.

The 12 yellow, red and black pots are the plants from Cross Country Nurseries, the other same size pots are habs, jalapenos, banana peppers, cayenne, tabasco that I bought from Wal, the strofoam cups are the seeds I sowed on February 7th and the big boy in the back is the Dorset Naga I sowed last February. I think I will have plenty of peppers this year. 36 plants all growing.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    11 years ago

Looks like everybody is happy with their orders from CCN. Nice looking plants!

Nice to know there's a back up plan in future seasons for superhots(chinense). There's always a good selection for annuum seedlings at any garden center, but very few places locally carry anything hotter than an Habanero.

Too bad their shipping is $18 for the western U.S. :(

Kevin

• austinnhanasmom
    11 years ago

OK -

I received my order - AMAZING!

These plants sat in a UPS truck for at least 12 hours in temps WAY too cold for the chile plants that I ordered. I thought they would all be dead.

They are the most beautiful plants I have seen - and I've grown awesome looking plants. To be subjected to low temps and still look unfazed speaks to the plant quality prior to shipping.

Packaging was incredible.

A few plants had buds.

I have already warned DH that I am ordering again next season.

• jifjifjif
    11 years ago

Awesome For You!!

• sidhartha0209
    10 years ago

Very pleased with my order received on Wed. Doesn't look like thirty plants though, does it? Well there are, and they were all in good shape, no substitutions, and they're now in the ground already.

10 years ago

sid:

Don't ya think you should've hardened off first?

Kevin

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Kevin, from the CCN site growing/planting instructions they are ready for the sun. I may order some plants next year as well as growing from seed.

I guess if you ordered from the first delivery date available and kept them under lights for a month or so then hardening off would be needed.

Mark

• sidhartha0209
    10 years ago

"sid:
    Don't ya think you should've hardened off first?

Kevin"

I did, Wed, Thurs, Fri, and planted Sat with mild weather in the forecast for several days. They're OK in that area, it's the upcoming frost this weekend I'm concerned with.

10 years ago

Ahh..ok.

Sid: Hope they survive. If the soil has warmed up enough, I doubt you'll have issues. But, to be sure, you may want to cover them somehow. i use gallon plastic water bottles, but I've heard of #10 cans and buckets/containers if row covers aren't available. You may also want to lay down black plastic to warm the soil in the day..

Good luck.

Kevin

• howelbama
    10 years ago

Just realized these guys are only about an hour from me... road trip this weekend ! :)

• mnclerk
    10 years ago

I ordered from them too. Here's what is coming to me on June 3rd:

Ariane
    Bhut Jolokia (I may swap this out for something else, actually)
    Fushimi
    Hot Portugal
    Island Hellfire
    Jalepeno Early
    Lipstick
    Moruga Scorpion
    Orange Sun
    Szechwan
    Takanotsume
    Yummy Orange.

Not too shabby, I think. :)

• mnclerk
    10 years ago

Sorry, duplicate post.

This post was edited by mnclerk on Wed, May 15, 13 at 15:22

• howelbama
    10 years ago

mnclerk, not too shabby at all, I just went there last weekend and all of their stuff was looking great. They separate the mail order stuff out to separate hoop houses and do not allow customers in them, so you can rest easy knowing that other customers aren't handling your plants :)

• jifjifjif
    10 years ago

I am extremely pleased with my shipment. They are all growing very well.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner