Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outside Lowest nightly temperature that is safe for bhut j?

Posted by vettin z6b Northern VA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 19:52

Put these outside in their pots for the first time today. Wondering if I should bring them in at night?
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outside Lowest nightly temperature that is safe for bhut j?

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 23:58

I am not an expert but everyone seems to say that 50 degrees is the cutoff for nightly temps unless it is just barely dipping below that once in a while. Prolonged temps under 50 are considered bad. I live in zone 4 and wont be able to leave mine outside for another 5 weeks or so. Bhuts seem to be more temperamental with cold than most other peppers. Personally, I will probably force my peppers to endure a little bit of the 40's though.

o

I have tried rushing the season and ended up with stunted plants. Plants started late and put out in warmer temperature caught up to and often surpass those put out early. If you are growing in pots, as I do, you can put them out on warm days and bring them in at night until temps stabilize.

o

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 14:44

Fiedlermeister: Where are you located and when do you get your peppers outside in the containers they will spend the summer in?

o

I live in Maine and have grown a lot of varieties over the past 13 years. I grow most in 12 inch pots because the soil gets warmer than in the ground and I can put the pots in the sunniest spots ( I live in the city). I started my seeds a few days ago. I will keep them inside under fluorescents until near the end of may and then start taking them outside for increasing lengths of time until they stay out all day and bring them in at night. When the nights get warmer I leave them out but retain the option to bring them in if it turns cold. I aim for the second week in June to put them in their final pots outside. In the fall I bring them into the garage for the first few frost nights ( we usually get a few more weeks of frost free weather)until I get tired of moving them and bring inside to finish ripening any that need it. A challenge to grow them in this climate.

I started documenting them in 2003

Here is a link that might be useful: My PBase site

o

John (Fiedlermeister) is one of the heavy weights at this Forum...he's an invaluable resource.
Not only has he grown the gamut - he's also documented plants, flowers, and pod variations.

Helped me narrow down my Thai chiles a couple years ago, too.

Josh

o

Thank you, Josh. I've been doing a lot of hiking and lost 20 pounds :)

o

Hehe... ;-)

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here