Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppernoob

Container pepper plants

PepperNoob
11 years ago

I have several pepper plants I am growing and they are doing good. I was watering them once a day to once every two days which I guess was to much because leaves and pods were dropping. So when this started to happen I got a moisture meter to help me determine when my plants need to be watered. I have not watered them for around 7 days because the meter is still telling me that there is moisture in the pot. My question is this. Is my meter wrong and the plants need to be watered? Or when plants are over watered does it take them longer to dry out? I have read container plants need to be watered at least once or twice a week.

Comments (26)

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Forget the meter. Just pick the pot up, if it feels light, give it water. If it feels a bit heavy, give it a day.

It's not an exact science but you'll develop a sense for it with practice. While you're developing your sense, keep an eye on the plant. If it looks stressed, give it water.

Bill

• rwaters
    11 years ago

I don't know where you are or what zone you are in but here in NC I can get away with watering them once a week or so in containers until it gets to high summer. then i have to water them every day when it is in the 90's and 100's.

Vaughn

• PepperNoob
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your replies. I am in GA and its around 80 degrees here. So maybe it is normal to stay moist for a week or longer. Thanks for the help.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Another way that really helps you gauge is using a wooden dowel / skewer / chopstick. Just push it in to the bottom of the pot, wait a minute or so, and gently pull it out. If it's wet / soil sticks to it, it's too soon to water. You can also use that method to know how light the pots are when you are sure they're dry.

a set schedule on when to water is pretty tough because there are so many variables. Early in the season, before the plant's roots have filled out the container, and it rains fairly frequently, you may not have to water very often. But, as the plant grows into its new home, in the heat of Summer, you may have to every day.

Follow the advise here and you'll have a good feel for it in no time.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Easiest way to tell (especially for larger pots you can't easily just pick up) is to watch for the leaves to start to wilt. Soon as they start to droop a little, time to water. If they're not drooping, they're fine, leave 'em be.

• spencers_mom2
    11 years ago

Not sure what your containers look like but wanted to share what I use. It's a self watering container that encourages root growth (you water from the hole in the side) and my plants love it. You save water since rain water is captured and doesn't just run out the bottom. I've been very happy using these and have had very good luck.

When the bucket gets light, just add as little or as much water as you need. I have a grape tomato plant in one but would not use it for a plant that will grow tall and that you think may be top heavy and can be blown over easily.

Anyhoo.. just sharing. :)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Spencers_Mom2:
    So, is there basically standing water in the bottom 2-3" of the bucket?

Bruce

• spencers_mom2
    11 years ago

Yes, there is standing water and I have not had a skeeter problem in the past. I did however have a skeeter problem when I was collecting rain water one year. You can water from the top, it's not like there is a must-do set of instructions here but if you are going out of town your plants will have what they need.

Erin

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Spencers_Mom,

I give up. What is the warning on the side? Don't plant babies sideways???

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Its a warning that small children can fall into the buckets and drown. They're naturally top heavy, see something floating in the bucket, lean over to try and grab it, and fall in head first.

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Just joking around. I got the jist of it right away... just thought it looked funny (size of baby to pot). Warped sense of humour I guess.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

I got a chuckle out of it Ottawa. The fact it was being used as a planter made the joke.
    Bruce

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Well, its all your crazy canadians, no telling what passes for safety warnings up there. "Danger, do not bring within 50' of moose" or "Warning, do not mix with maple syrup".

=P

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

Yum, maple covered moose meat!

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Although I imagine the image of a moose covered in maple syrup would be hilarious.

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

True, a moose covered in maple syrup would be hilarious BUT, watching the moose deal with the person trying to cover it with maple syrup would be priceless.

Warning: Moose have absolutely no sense of humour.

• spencers_mom2
    11 years ago

Omg.. Lmao. I will never look at that warning the same again Bill and Bruce!

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Wait, maybe its just a warning against child labor? I mean, looking at the picture again the illustration is clearly a bucket filled with soil and then topped with mulch, with a baby reaching in to plant something.

Remember folks, just say no to child labor. Unless its your own kids and you tell them they're doing chores. Then its perfectly acceptable.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    11 years ago

You guys are priceless!

• northerner_on
    11 years ago

Priceless!! I am cracking up!! I did not even notice the warning.

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

I may be wrong but I think we hijacked this post. Just sayin.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

Nah, but you should definitely keep the moose out of that coffee pot. Last thing you need is a moose on a caffeine high.

• ottawapepper
    11 years ago

au contraire mon ami,

That's maple syrup, not coffee!

Sugar highs make them mean but the sugar hang overs make them down right ugly bad. Don't ask how I know.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

That sign means "Don't give alcohol to the Meese, I mean Mooses".

Bruce

• spencers_mom2
    11 years ago

LMAO.. ya'll are cracking me up! I'm at work (working?) trying not to laugh at the comments I am catching up on!

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

@rwaters...what part of NC are you in? I'm in Lincolnton, it's about 20 minutes outside of Charlotte. This is my first year growing super hots. I didn't know if you had any tips considering we are in the same state. ( my apologies to poster.....didn't mean to hi-jack your thread.)

Sponsored