Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronnyb123

Fish pepper hybrid

ronnyb123
10 years ago

Planted 2 fish peppers and 1 came up normal (white and green) and 1 came up all green. I dont know what the hybrid is, I got the seeds here at X-mas trade. No worries though ")

Anybody have this happen to you. How were the hybrid ones.

I hear Fish are notorious for crossbreeding. Maybe I'll mix it with red ghost or a Trinidad.

Comments (21)

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hybrid Fish

• jutsFL
    10 years ago

I was asking a few months ago here about the fish pepper, let me know your thoughts on it when you get some on there. Didn't have the room this year for them, maybe next year.

And as for the cross, suppose I may be an odd-ball... But I enjoy the idea of crossed peppers. I'm actually hoping for some unintentional mix to pop up on my plants for next year.

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I also like crossed peppers. I bet most of us do here. I plan to do some unintentional crossing (wink wink) too.

• siouxzin
    10 years ago

wait, the fish peppers have the white splotches on the leaves??

HA! I thought I had some weird disease on it or spilled fertilizer. too funny

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Siouxzn... that's what I thought too. LOL. Never grew one so who knew.

Wouldn't it be too funny if THAT was the hybrid and the pure green was the real one. Its too bad when they mix, the new plants loose that splotchy gene.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

hahaha, no it's not. The white mottled leaves are characteristic of fish (just like the striped fruit). I have had a few plants that were almost solid white leaves. Funny thing, I have some fish (and they aren't hybrids) that have mostly green leaves, I don't use that fruit for seed collection, I try to get the most vibrant leaves for seed collection.
    Pam

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kuvaszlvr.. was the fruit the same on the mostly green leaves?

• siouxzin
    10 years ago

Still laughing, I spent a few hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my fish pepper plant. it seriously looked like I spilled bleach all over it!

I am so relieved!

• rdback
    10 years ago

I have and do the same as Pam. And yes RonnyB, the green only plants produce the same fruit, minus the variegation.

In my experience, Fish is VERY promiscuous. It is very difficult to preserve the variegation of this variety.

By the way, Fish is an excellent medium heat pepper. Great for smoking, drying and grinding. Also makes a great hot sauce. I've grown this pepper for 10 years, easy.

Rick

This post was edited by rdback on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 13:56

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Interesting Rick. I've always been very careful to bag flowers so I haven't had an issue with cross breeding. And, I'm glad you answered RonnyB, since I usually don't keep the green ones, I really don't know what the fruit looks like. ;-) I could keep a green one to see for myself, but I like the variegation too much. ;-)

Pam

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rick... that's interesting to learn. Maybe I will keep some seed from the fish hybrid after I see what the fruit looks and taste like.

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Followup to where the hybrid Fish plant is today.

A bunch of flowers but they are a purple/white variety. My understanding (but not confirmed) is the original fish has white. Not sure, anyone confirm.

The other fish has no buds yet and is growing slower.

BTW, the white on the leaves is not mildew but Diatomaceous earth that got washed off from the rain.

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So here is the latest on the pods. They seem to be a blackish green color. At first i thought it was sunburn, but the second one was more blackish then green so far. The original fish has yet to pod but has white flowers beginning to develop. They are not open yet. It is definitely slower growth than the hybrid.

From the pictures of Fish peppers I have seen, none look like this. I don't know yet what this is mixed with, but it looks cool so far. Hopefully it ripens soon so I can taste it.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Mon, May 12, 14 at 23:48

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, picture a little fuzzy, but you get the idea.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

OH That foliage seems real fishy if you didn't know why!

How about yellow and pale green foliage ? some of my peppers are like that. Is that also normal ?

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

seysonn, the folage seems fine. The plant is healthy and no insects. The white on the leaves is Diatomaceous earth that got washed off when I sprayed with epsom salt. I leave it there since it deters insects from chewing on the leaves. Looks ugly but it helps.

For this plant, I dont know if the yellow and pale green color is normal. I just gave them a stinky fish feeding last week with some added calcium. I probably have to do another epsom spray though. Most of the main leaves are open wide, it was hot yesterday and it was just watered, and I see no major problems, so for now, its good.

I am not sure if lighter color mean nitrogen deficiency or just the way this plant is. Maybe I will go get some MG later this week.

Thanks

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Tue, May 13, 14 at 10:37

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

I got some fish pepper seeds from another list member and expected a lot more variegation on the leaves than what I am getting. The blooms look good though. I just have small light colored spots on the leaves. I am looking forward to some cool looking pods.
    Bruce

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Your plant looks good. it looks like mine but I have no color patches on it. Lets see when it flowers if it is the same as mine.
    Could be from the same batch, pods looking pretty cool so far.
    I got no problem with hybrids.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Ronny: I just went out and checked my peppers and now I see where some of the new growth is exhibiting more variegation like I expected. One of my Fish peppers is also ready to open up some blooms and hopefully they come out true to color while the leaves continue to show more and more of the variegation that I was looking for.
    Bruce

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There you go. Now it is beginning to look like a real fish pepper plant. It is a small amount so lets see how your flowers look. I believe they should be white.

I still have zero white on the leaves of my Hybrid. Its possible it could do the same, but at this point, I don't believe it will.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Tue, May 13, 14 at 14:02

• ronnyb123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Been a while since I updated this thread, so here is a pic of the fish hybrid.

Pods turn a dark red from their black unripe color, (sometimes they are greenish black), but they seem to grow almost like mini bells. Flavor is fruity and very hot.

The regular fish pods were late in developing but they are now producing. One pod is pure white and one has the regular lines that are suppose to be normal.

Sponsored