Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jalabanero F1 Characteristics

Posted by brien_nz New Zealand (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 11 at 21:23

Several posters have mentioned this hybrid, and I would be grateful to get some more information. In particular:-
1 Were the seeds obtained commercially (and if so from where) or are they members own crosses?
2 If the latter is the 'mother' flower the jalapeno or the habanero?
3 Is the taste habanero like, jalapeno like or somewhere in between (or completely different)?
4 Ditto for the heat?
5 Are they early fruiting like the jal or late like the hab?
6 And finally! has anyone tried to back cross to get a stable variety?
Thanks for any info.
Brien

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jalabanero F1 Characteristics

A guy posting as Web Of Hair(I think it was) crossed the seeds a few years ago.
I still have my original plant barely fighting off the mites.
Never grew the seeds from my plant though I saved a couple from isolated buds.
It didn't taste to me like either a jalapeno or habanero.
Mine was a very thick fleshed pod shaped like a fatter type jalapeno variety.
My plant has always been indoors and fruited year round so I never knew wether it was a long or short season fruiter.It set buds year round like Jalapenos do here in S.California.
It wasn't habanero hot.
My plant might not be too good an example,it has been under attack by one thing or another it's whole life...

o
RE: Jalabanero F1 Characteristics

I had seeds from same source. Two plants - Neither had a chinense flavor but were fairly hot - different pod shape -plant 1 had thick flesh-plant two's was thinner

Plant 1

Plant 2

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here