Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppernovice

4-28-2014 Video Update

peppernovice
9 years ago

Here's a look at my plants as of today. I mistakenly said April 29th in the beginning of the video. The plants look pretty rough after a cold couple of weeks, but they are starting to recuperate. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Tim

http://youtu.be/O08yS_Uzuqo

Comments (14)

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Some very nice looking plants you got there and exotic!
    I take it from your accent your down south or possibly Carolinas?
    I kind of envy your humidity. I think it helps the plants a lot.
    Here in Southern California, we have great conditions for peppers, but it's very dry so water regulation is crucial.

Here is my Fatali. My local nursery gets some pretty nice types. I took this one home about 3 weeks ago and it's doing great so far.
    Hope we both get a good harvest :-)
    My scorpion's are growing slow (grew from seed) but hopefully something out of them.
    I've taken over 200 pods off my Serrano already!

{{gwi:1166805}}

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nice guess as far as my location is concerned. I live in North Carolina. Your plant looks great!

Tim

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Thanks Tim!

Dave

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Always enjoy the videos man! And they'll surely be shooting out in no time, you've got quite a few on your hands.

Jay

• User
    9 years ago

Love watching your video updates Tim.

I think it was your first or second video where you asked about the pronunciation of the Bonda ma Jacques pepper.

I think, based on my records, I sent you the Bonda ma Jacques seeds.

Watch the link below. Bugs says the "Jacks" right... Blacque "Jacques" Shellacqe.

FYI, I got my original seeds from a vendor down under. Here's their description of the pepper:

From St Lucia in the Caribbean comes the Bonda ma Jacques. A ripper of a throat burn, that has to be tried to be believed, add their fantastic flavour and itâÂÂs an all round winner. Grows to over a meter tall in pots or bigger in ground, produces heaps of extremely hot pods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blacque

• sandysgardens
    9 years ago

Tim - Thanks for sharing your video update on your plants.

Sandy

• earthworm73
    9 years ago

Stoney I can relate to what you are saying about the conditions. Up here on the west side of Washington believe it or not it is very dry in the summer months so we have to really watch the moisture levels.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

I know what you mean.

Dave

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Yet another Nice video presentation, Tim.

I feel that your plants have come a long way despite the COOL start. I understand that . Mine are no where near and comparable to yours. I pushed them out to cold a bit to early.
    But I look at it this way ; Life is an adventure, Dare it !

BTW: I don't have "Bonda ma Jacques" but my Manzanos are ding just fine.
    Je ne parle Frances pa.haha :P

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks guys. What do you guys think about having peppers so soon? The plants are about 4 months old, so they can probably support them, I'm just not sure how it will affect the plant over all. I have never pulled pods, but I've never had pods in April. Any thoughts?

Tim

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Hey Tim. Once again, love your video updates.

Concerns -- the yellowing. Need ferts or too much water? You said previously that you were using ProMix HP.. 1st time using? How's it draining? Since it's made of primarily peat, did you hydrate it first before planting?

They also look kinda beat up compared to you normal flawless plants... chewing and damage. Birds? Another hail storm?

As far as pulling early pods, I'd say it's up to you. Because they're early, you'll get some early ones, but if you're looking for more foliage and branching 1st, you may want to pluck them. By the sounds of it, either way, I'm sure you'll get a good 3 flushes.

Keep us updated.

Kevin

This post was edited by woohooman on Thu, May 1, 14 at 15:55

• StupidHotPeppers
    9 years ago

This might be a dum question but do you bring your peppers in during rainy days?

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kevin...... I'm really not sure about the yellowing. I had noticed that as well. We've had a few weeks of cloudy days with lower temps, so I'm hoping they will straighten out after a few warm sunny days. I haven't watered very much, but we did have 2 straight days of rain about a week ago, so that could also be a factor. I'm baffled about the beat up leaves. I've checked several times and have never found any insects. The only thing I can come up with is wind. I know that sounds crazy, but it has been unbelievably windy over the last 2 or 3 weeks. I'm hoping it's just been rough on the leaves. I have fertilized twice since they were put outside.

Morugaman.....I do not bring them in. They have been outside for about 3 weeks now.

Tim

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry Kevin I missed your question about the Pro mix. It seems to be doing okay so far. I have noticed that water doesn't seem to drain out the bottom like it does with the 5-1-1. I haven't really soaked them yet though because it really hasn't been hot. Also they are in bigger pots so I'm sure I'll need to water more before I'll see it drain out the bottom. I'll reserve judgement for another couple weeks. We should have some consistent weeks with mid 80's by then.

Tim

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets