Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Pepper Garden!

Posted by girlgarden 3 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 21:55

Just thought I'd post the seeds I'm starting and see if any of you have any recommendations!

This will be my second year growing peppers (but last year my roommate killed all of them... ugh). Here's what's in the collection:

Anaheim
BGH 1725
Bermuda Hot
Bonda Ma Jackque
Chi-Chien
Criola Sella
Ecuador Hot
Fatalii
Fire Serrano
Firefox
Hanoi Red
Hungarian Wax
Island Hellfire
Jalepeno
Large Cherry
Long Red Cayenne
Madame Janette
Macho
Naga Jolokia
Peruvian White Habanero

Tips? Tricks? I know I'm late in germinating everything (I've only got a couple of them setting true leaves).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Pepper Garden!

Get a new roomate.

nice growlist.

Jim

o

Hungarian Wax and Cayenne have been some of the easiest peppers I have grown. They always have a really good harvest and don't need any special attending to. Great plants for a first grow. Good luck with the new garden! I look forward to seeing pics of your grow in the future.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Garden

o

Great to see another pepper addict added to the ranks. :) Wish you lots of success and sending you some Sunshine from zone 10 up to your zone 3. :O

Rudy

o

Thanks! We need it - nothing but rain and snow up here for DAYS. It's getting tiresome.

Any advice on how to keep them from cross-pollinating? I'd like to have true fruit and seeds if I can, but it's a small space.

o

I have been experimenting with using tulle to cover plats. I used to use small tulle bags to cover the flower and hand pollinate. I also mark the fruit so I know which one is good seed. This year I plan on making large bags out of tulle and covering the entire plant. I plan on saving seeds from about 25-30 plants this year, so I am hoping this makes the process a lot easier.

o

How do you keep the plants getting enough sun and stuff through the fabric?

o

• Posted by esox07 4, S. Cent Wisc (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 23:25

Girlgarden: only two ways I know of to keep from cross pollinating. First is to keep different varieties separated by a large distance. Some say about a hundred meters. There is still a chance for crossing however. Otherwise, you would need to plant them in completely different areas, like your mothers house across town for instance. Then I remember reading something about manually pollinating then covering the branch with those blooms so that it cannot be further pollinated by another source.
Check out this thread: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg040204189779.html

o

The plants will get plenty of sun through the material. It is a very fine mesh so it allows sunlight and water through, basically you are using it to keep out other plants pollen. You just give the plant a shake every now and again to pollinate it. I have heard a lot of success with the tulle bags. I know by experience that hand pollinating then covering the flower with tulle and marking the branch/flower. Then when it starts to develop into fruit you can take off the bag and let it grow away. You have it marked so when you harvest, you know which pod will have the "true" seeds. I am trying to save a large amount of seeds this year, that is why I am trying the full plant bag method. We will see how it goes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here