Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Switters Estate Pepper Farm

Posted by paceyswitters none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 21:56

Custom-rigged monstrosity (the frame is intended to be lined on the outside with mylar, allowing me to twist-tie in additional CFLS as needed on the interior wire).

The mirror is just intended to juxtapose the white wall in the interim. There's a vent on the other side that (hopefully) is keeping everything in the upper 70's (can't go higher because I have a couple tomatoes in there).

I've brought exactly one girl home since setting this up a couple weeks ago, and needless to say she wasn't a fan of the 24 hour lighting. I can not tell you how excited I'll be for the mylar to arrive.

I live in MT, so there's probably still 30+ days left before it's safe to put them outside. Given the extent of the setup I've put together, I might even wait until the end of June just to make sure they get steady 70+ days. I've heard the nights still dip into the lower 40's here occasionally until late July, so I don't want to take any chances.

Still waiting on the bhuts to germinate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Switters Estate Pepper Farm

Did that one girl agree to come back to try the peppers at least? ;-)

Seriously huge pics....difficult to scroll back and forth.

Updates, please!

Josh

o
RE: The Switters Estate Pepper Farm

PS: bhuts are coming in!

o
Oops

Sorry :) I was in a hurry when I posted that and couldn't figure out how to adjust the image size on imgur.

I doubt I'll be able to convince my nonplussed guest to come back, but I'll see if I can return to her good graces with a gift of capsaicin and milk.

This is my first go, and I really feel like I should be keeping a spreadsheet, but haven't gotten around to starting one. I'll remedy that this evening; it will be a welcome break from studying for finals. It's actually been a hilariously inept process�the plants have all already been transplanted from peat pellets to larger pots to the smaller pots currently pictured. I'm curious: will that, in the long term, create a more robust plant? Or does the expenditure of energy so early in its life probably irreparably hinder it? I'm not too concerned, as they seem to have survived ok and their seeds at least won't be harmed, but it'll be good to know for next time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here