Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosewolfie

First Scotch Bonnets, what sauce recipes can I make?

RoseWolfie
11 years ago

So my Jamaican Hot Scotch Bonnet plant has several dozen green peppers. Today 2 have turned fully orange/yellow. So I harvested them and they are sitting in my fridge.

My boyfriend is a particular fan of all things hot, especially hot wings. He often gets the Angry Buffalo wings from Checkers. Since I never made a hot sauce before I want to try, but I only have these 2. Most recipes call for more. Of course in a few weeks I will have lots, but I just want a tester recipe. Something that will go good with wings. Buffalo sauce like is good. Anyone know a good recipe for a noob?

Comments (20)

• User
    11 years ago

Here's a sauce recipe I've posted before. Two Scotch Bonnets are perfect for this one:

Caribbean BBQ Sauce

2 (or more) scotch bonnet chilies (or whatever chili you like), fresh or dried
    1 cup orange juice (also nice with pineapple)
    1 cup honey
    1/3 cup Soy or Worcestershire sauce (I prefer Soy)
    1 TBS ginger
    1/2 tsp allspice
    2 cloves garlic
    1 tsp dried thyme (1 TBS fresh)

Blend together well in a blender and then simmer in sauce pan for 5-10 minutes.
    Let stand in fridge overnight for fullest flavour.

• User
    11 years ago

Crap! That should be 1 TBS minced Ginger or 1/2 tsp powder.

Sorry.

Personally, I'd cook the wings and then toss them in enough (a generous amount of) warmed sauce to coat. They'll have a nice sweet and spicy start and then the Bonnets will kick in.

I use this sauce on pulled pork, chicken and rice. Since you've mentioned it, I gotta cook up some wings on the Q and give it a try. I'm pretty confident it'll be a hit.

Bill

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I think I've used that recipe before... If not, it was something close. It was really good! I marinated chicken and then grilled. I think I saved a little out and basted at the end of grilling and it turned out awesome! I cut up the leftovers and made them into quesadillas and the GF thought they were the best ever! LOL

• capoman
    11 years ago

You can also do a basic vinegar hot sauce as well. This is more like a Frank's style sauce. Very simple to make.

Cut stems off, put several peppers in a pot, put just enough vinegar to cover the peppers, add salt and garlic to taste. Boil for a few minutes, then puree and strain. That's it.

• largemouth
    11 years ago

Rose, stop with the recipes! Be the hot sauce!!!!

Only YOU can decide what your hot sauce will taste like, look like, or how thick it will be. A little time will help. And perhaps it will not be this season. But it can be. Or next season, at the latest.

Started looking for recipes many years ago for hot sauce. Took one attempt to realize the recipe I was following could be tweaked to my liking. Since then, I have created 2 rules: Always make the ingrediants of my hot sauce the same color as the pepper I am using. And, always add a sweetener, also the same color as the pepper. Sweet balances heat. I also like to throw in some fruit of the same color. I also throw in a clove or 2 of garlic, no matter what the color of the pepper.

I now make 5 different color sauces, from white to black. For my black habaneros, I use balsamic vinegar for the much needed vinegar base. From there, I experiment. Molasses is my sweetener because it is black. Might scrape in some vanilla bean, also black. Or some blackberries. Used plums (a cheat), currents, and black cherries, too. EVERYTHING goes into a sauce pan for 7-10 minutes to heat up, EXCEPT for the sweetener. Medium heat. Let cool for a few minutes. Into the blender then with the seetener. Watch out opening that blender after mixing. A face full of pain if too close.

I put all that stuff in mason jars in the fridge for at least a month or 2. Filter after that as you feel appropriate. Some like it thicker, with a bit more organic ingrediants in the hot sauce. I do.

Let me know how this works out. I know you want to use your own peppers, but a good supermarket close by will provide all the chiles you need to hone your craft. Try growing some black and white habaneros, and by all means, a yellow chile called "Fatali". African, I believe. I grow 26 different kinds. They all taste different.

I am hounded by people at work for my sauces. Only the few get a small taste, and fewer get a bottle. If you can cook, you will have the sense to add and subtract according to your taste and instinct. Piece of cake!

• User
    11 years ago

Interesting. No, really, interesting.

So it's a "Zen" sauce thing, right?

• largemouth
    11 years ago

Totally. Give it a try. Remember the scene in "Caddyshack'? Be the sauce, Danny...

• scotty66
    11 years ago

that "Caribbean BBQ Sauce" sounds awesome!
    mmmmmmm chicken wings!!!

although I would like to try it without the soy or Worcestershire (I'm trying to cut salt out of my diet).

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

Google Jamaican Jerk or just Jerk Seasoning/sauce/soice recipes.

It's used for Chicken and pork mostly.
    Tons of recipes for it out there.
    Good stuff.

• John A
    11 years ago

Bill - Your recipe looks good. I may try that this year.

Rose - If you can't use your peppers immediately, just stem & seed them and put 'em in the freezer. They'll be fine for sauce.

ps: Don't forget to wear rubber gloves!
    John A

• capoman
    11 years ago

Largemouth: I agree that you make a sauce that works for you, but the inexperienced still need a recipe as a base and then modify it to their taste. I am one that was unfamiliar with making pepper sauces, and have modified existing recipes. I'm also not sure sweetener is required. I've made recipes based on both, and I prefer without any sweetening as is the case with many commercial hot sauces.

• spencers_mom2
    11 years ago

Hi Rose,

I agree with largemouth.. just experiment! We do a wing night at the Fraternal Order of Eagles and we do basic stuff and then we experiment and see how the members like it.

Some suggestions.. get an immersion blender or use a blender that can stand hot liquids to incorporate your ingredients on/off the stove.

I like Franks and Texas Pete as a starting point sometimes, but I use honey to smooth out that vinegar bite a little. The heat will still get you, but the sweet makes you think you are safe at first.

Go to the market and look at the different jellies available. We did one with peach jelly, bourbon and wasabi and it was off the hook. We served extra wasabi to smear on the wing if you like. Using a jelly makes it nice and sticky and satisfying.

Cook it all down on the stove and toss your wings in. We have a sauce shoppe in the area so I have a little pot of Death Rain powder I sprinkle in sometimes. Trial and error is a lot of fun and kind of makes it your own. Having a recipe is great too, but I tend to look at is as a helpful starting point.

If you're just making it for you two and not bottling it.. have fun with it! Before you know it the game will be at your house and wings will be in demand.

Final suggestion.. write down what you are doing. The biggest bummer is getting rave reviews on something you are not sure you can re-create.

These are only suggestions of course! Good luck and please share what you come up with.

Erin

• User
    11 years ago

I like to go by a tested recipe first to get a baseline reference. After that, I'll tweak it or radically change it to suit my taste.

Oooo Smokemaster, yes, Jerk!

If anyone's game, I've found this recipe comes as close to authentic Jamaican Jerk than any other I've tried. I always end up doing two versions; one with two Scotch Bonnets for the GF and one with 12 for me ;-) The recipe is from a... wait for it... Weight Watchers recipe book.

Here's a copy of the original recipe. I use it without any changes, it's perfect as is IMHO. Works for pork or chicken.

Jamaican Jerk Pork Tenderloin

This fiery barbecue was invented by the Maroons, or runaway slaves, as a means of preserving meats without refrigeration. The more Scotch bonnet peppers you use, the more authentic the flavor. Use one pepper for a mildly spicy dish and four for a very spicy dish. (To approximate the heat of the authentic jerk marinade, you would have to use 12 Scotch bonnet peppers.) Here, we butterfly the pork to increase the surface area for the marinade to penetrate. This recipe will also work with pork loin and chicken breasts, wings and thighs.

2 cups coarsely chopped green onions
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
    2 tablespoons white vinegar
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
    2 teaspoons brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    2 teaspoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 - 12 Scotch Bonnet or Habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
    1 (1 1/2 pound) pork tenderloin, trimmed
    Cooking spray

1. Place first 15 ingredients in a blender or food processor; process until smooth. Pour into a large zip-top plastic bag.
    2. Slice pork lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side. Open halves, laying each side flat. Slice each half lengthwise, cutting to, but not through, other side; open flat.
    3. Add pork to marinade in bag; seal bag, and marinate in refrigerator 3 to 24 hours. Remove pork from bag; discard marinade.
    4. Prepare grill.
    5. Place pork on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes on each side or until meat thermometer registers 160F (slightly pink).

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces pork).

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

There are also several Indian recipes for spice sauces (I forget the name)that are very similar to Jerk but use other peppers.

They both contain a lot of the same spices - Alspice , Clove , mace , Ginger , Cinnamon.

Both are great for grilling rather than smoking.
    The spices taste better when charred to a crunchy crust on chicken.

It's good for marinating the meat/pork before smoking and after you pull the pork use the sauce to moisten the meat.

Makes a great shish kabob sauce too.

• largemouth
    11 years ago

Admire all of you who love the heat! But, a special shout out to my friend ottawapepper, whose beloved Senators lost game 7 last night in NY to my Rangers. You should be proud! Your team played an unbelievable series. Would like to send you a taste of what I make up here in Putnam County, NY as a consolation prize. Black, orange, white, yellow, or red. You pick the color. First sauce of the summer goes to you! Next year we make a little hot sauce wager on the series, OK?

• jsschrstrcks
    11 years ago

Here is what I like to do... It should be consumed fresh, because I don't know what the acid content is... SO make as much as you think you'll use in a few days.

1lb peppers smoked over cumquat wood (gives it a sweet taste, pecan is nice as well).

1/2 a bunch of fresh cilantro.

2 cloves garlic

2 tbsp black pepper

1 pickle

Juice from a jar of Dill Pickles

1/4 cup olive oil

Place Peppers in blender, add enough pickle juice to half way cover the peppers. Blend, add other ingredients, Blend.

It will have a tendency to separate.

It does not taste like vinegar(i hate vinegar, but don't mind Dill pickle juice).

I have tried this with Bonnets, Jalapenos, Cayennes, and Habaneros (and various combinations of the three).

My family likes it mild... So more often than not I find my self making it out of a combination of jalapenos and cayennes. However, what I use is made out of Habaneros and Bonnets.

I will slip some bonnets into their milder sauce every now and then just to liven things up... haha

• spencers_mom2
    11 years ago

@largemouth.. what do Bruins fans get? I hear it coming .. not afraid. ;)

• User
    11 years ago

largemouth, thank you for the offer but I wouldn't subject anyone to the brokerage fees charged for clearing costumes between Canada/US. It was a great series. One where neither team deserved to lose. I'm routing for the Rangers to take the Cup now.

Erin, I'm afraid to hear the answer... I'm a Bruins fan too. I grew up in Montreal where you were either a Habs fan or a Bruin fan. I still remember cheering for Orr, Bucyk, Esposito, Cheevers, Sanderson, Shack et al. Been a die hard fan since.

• largemouth
    11 years ago

Got no love for the Bruins, Mom. Much respect, but you ain't getin no hot sauce any time soon from me. The Ottawa connection comes from my Canadian roots. Your last name gets you back in if it's French. Or, if you provide a worthy, humorous reply. Better be good.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County