Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time needed to grow pequins?

Posted by jimster z7a MA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 22:42

I planted seeds from a wild plant which I believe to be chile pequin. Many germinated in about 2 weeks. If they are pequin can I expect them to bear fruit by this October or will the plants have to be wintered over indoors?

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time needed to grow pequins?

I ran here when I thought it said "penguins".

o

Puiquin make fruit in 60-90 days from small plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chile resource

o

LOL paceyswitters! I too find speed reading a constant source of entertainment.

Thanks, Willard. That is very encouraging.

Jim

o

Pequin and chiltepin produce like crazy. My overwintered tepin is already producing like wild!!

o

Did your tepin produce on the first season very much, Reyna?
I am reading more and more that they are mainly productive as annuals and take more than a season to produce ripe fruit.

o

Now I'm less encouraged. The site linked by Willard says, "120 days or more from transplants, better yields the second year", which is in line with a couple of the previous posts. Looks like it will be a close call to get ripe fruit in one growing season.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here