Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esox07

Soil PH for Hot Peppers

Ok, I searched the forum and found several references to soil PH for hot peppers but most did not give out any ranges, they just stated "too high" or "too low". My question is, and I am sure somewhere it was asked and answered many times but I want to know what the best PH range for Hot Peppers is. I assume that all varieties fall pretty much fall in the same range. What is the best PH range for Hot peppers?

Pepperpikker

I am sure there will be varying opinions but with a little discussion, I would think a good all around ball park range can be had.

Comments (7)

• smokemaster_2007
    13 years ago

I'd say between 6.5 and 7. in general.
    Some peppers do better than others at 7.
    Might be due to the need for more calcium and Magnesium by some varieties.

• seysonn
    13 years ago

I have come to the conclusion that most(if not all) garden vegetables will do fine within a PH range of 5.8 to 7.2 with a PH =6.8 being the optimum. Garden is not a restaurant for different vegetables to order their PH from the menu. So they have to be happy whatever is provided. Luckily most can thrive in a wide range of PH, including peppers.
    Another thing is that you cannot alter PH overnight.Especially, you cannot increase PH in short notice.
    I have heard other tips to improve peppers : Epson salt and Hydrogen peroxide foliar feeding.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Yep, the range I usually give is 5.8 - 6.8

Also, in a container, pH is much less important than it is in the ground.

It's also easier to simply modify your water's pH than to try and maintain a specific
    soil pH - which is always fluctuating depending on moisture and nutrients, et cetera.

Add a little white vinegar to water to bring pH down.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys. I will be happy in the low to mid 6 range then.

• neohippie
    13 years ago

Is there a particular problem you're having with peppers that you think is due to pH?

I just got my soil tested, and its pH is 7.6, which is a little on the alkaline side, which is no surprise since limestone is my bedrock here.

This is above the pH range everyone says peppers should be at, but I still get bumper crops of peppers. Also, peppers grow wild around here (chile pequins, the wild version of C. annum), so this is pretty much their natural habitat.

Almost makes me think that pH is not that big of a deal, at least not for peppers.

• JVjava
    12 years ago

Josh (or anyone), Why is the ph not as important in containers? I am a newbie, and using containers. I posted earlier about my soil mixture, which you helped me with. how will I know if my ph is off without testing it? Is it important to test it if I am growing in containers?

Jon

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hey, Jon!

Here's something that Al (Tapla) wrote on the subject. I've linked the Thread below.

"Why would containers need different pH requirements than in the ground."

First, they don't NEED a different media pH, which is much less important in container culture than it is in the garden. I've puzzled over how to answer the question in a way that's easy to understand, because it's a complicated question. First, pH affects mostly the solubility of essential micro-nutrients and other nonessential elements that can become toxic, once certain pH levels are reached.

Basically, in mineral (garden) soils, the micro-nutrients are already IN the soil, and the ideal pH is a happy medium where all the elements are in a favorable part of their availability range. Too much deviation either upward or downward in the pH level can have a significant impact on availability and toxicities.

In container media, the organic components contain only very small amounts of micro-nutrients, locked securely in the hydrocarbon chains of the medium. So, raising or lowering the pH of the medium or the soil solution has little impact on the availability of these nutrients.

If you point to a pH induced Fe deficiency and say Hey, look here - a pH induced deficiency", I'll point to the fact that technically it's not a function of the pH, but of the presence of high concentrations of Ca, Mg, Na, or bicarbonates, with the increase in pH being only the symptom.

If you could use a medium that is devoid of potential toxicities, and has all the essential nutrients in the right ratio, you can grow most plants very well (in container media) at pH ranges from 3.0 to about 8.5.

Al"

Here is a link that might be useful: Al's 5:1:1 mix pH questions

Sponsored