Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peppernovice

April 10th Video Update

peppernovice
9 years ago

Here's my latest video update. I have everything in it's summer home. Most are in 10 gallon pots, but 3 are in 15 gallon pots. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Tim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfJQTW9ZXDs

Comments (11)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

They look great....but how did they get burned like that?

Josh

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's sunburn I assume. It happened after I had them outside for a couple days. There's only 3 or 4 that look like that. I'm not sure why they burned so bad. It's been pretty over cast, and I had them in partial sun for a week. Prior to that, I had them in and out of the sun for 2 or 3 weeks. The same way I always do it, and they've never burned like that. They seem to be recovering just fine. All the new growth looks great. Have you ever had anything like that happen?

Tim

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

Great plants indeed, and very much enjoy the videos.

Jay

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

I've never had that happen, I don't think. But I'll scan through some pics to see if I can find any examples.

Josh

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Man, you sure have a lot of heat growing. Those are some nice looking super hots. One suggestion for the future: When you prune or "top" a pepper plant, I would suggest that you cut it just above a node. It looks like the plants that you topped were cut just below the next node. The part of the plant above the lower node will likely wind up dying off back to the node. It won't be a problem, but if you had topped it just above the node, you would get new growth from that node.

Oh, one other piece of advice: Don't eat them all at once.
    Bruce

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Good show , Tim.
    Considering that this is just the beginning of the season, yet it is a great accomplishment so far.
    I think , plants grown indoor, in relatively warm environment,when are exposed to sun, can get scorches like that. Just as we do get sun burn

Here I see the difference between two zone 7B, Carolina and Washington State. I am in the process of hardening off. WE have still some 39Fs in the forecast, as of now. But getting there.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Burning is a strange thing. Of nearly 90 I set out last year - all treated pretty much identically - only 5 showed signs of sunburn. Four of them were the same variety (ghosts IIRC). No lasting damage, though.

Thanks for the vid.

Dennis

• don555
    9 years ago

Those look great, especially since I'm still at about the 2-inch stage under indoor lights. But good grief, you're going to produce enough heat there to last me several lifetimes!

• peppernovice
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the comments guys. Bruce, I watched a video on topping, I thought I followed the process exactly, but I must have went just below, instead of just above. Live and Learn.

Tim

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Peppernovice: No big deal, just means you actually pruned it one node lower than you though. The part above the last nodes will eventually die and dry up. You could prune it now if you like.
    Yep, still living...and learning when it comes to the pepper thing.
    Bruce

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

Very nice plants! That's a lot of perlite it looks. Can't hurt :)

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years