Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
punkrotten

Best Potting mix for peppers?

PunkRotten
10 years ago

Hi,

What is a great potting mix for peppers? I notice mine don't appear to be really healthy. Although, they put out a decent amount of pods they do not look as great as some of the potted pepper plants I see. One thing I notice in particular is the leaves are smaller.

Comments (9)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Hi PunkRotten, what are you currently using? Leaves are smaller? It depends on the variety like a jalapeno compared to a Bhut the Bhut leaves are 3 to 4 times larger. This is what I use.

45% MG Orchid mix (not the course blend)
    45% MG Organic Choice
    8% Perlite
    2% Bone Meal

I have used just only MG Orchid mix and it works fine on its own. I've used the MG Organic choice with lots of additional perlite and that worked well. I add the bone meal for future use since its takes awhile to break down I add it to the mix and by the time it's plant useable it will be the perfect time of growth when they need it. I also use Alaska fish fert and sometimes MG fert. But at this point have not used any additional fertilizers, they have been using the already added MG ferts included with the mix.

Here is a pic of one of my happy plants. Seeds were started Jan 12th.

Mark

This post was edited by habjolokia on Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 7:42

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

I know a lot of people prefer to mix their own, but I start over 2000 plants a year and it's just too much work for me, I absolutely love Fafard 52 mix, and my plants seem to love it too. It's mostly pine bark with Bark, with some Peat Moss, Perlite, Vermiculite, and Dolomitic Limestone. I've never had any issues with it. I tried Promix this year, didn't realize till I had potted up most of my seedlings that it's around 85% peat. My plants are not happy this year, so... back to Fafard.
    Pam

• pepper_rancher
    10 years ago

I want to add some worm castings to my potting mix, what is the highset percentage that would be tolerable (not not affect drainage, etc) in everyone's opinion?

• PunkRotten
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kuvaszlvr,

Is Farfard some kind of brand with the mix already made? I just made some mix and it is 1/3 peat, 1/3 perlite, and 1/3 compost. I have grown some peppers in pre-mixed bags such as organic miracle grow and some gardener and bloome's brand potting mix. It is bark fines, compost, bat guano, worm castings, and a few other things that I can't remember right now. My peppers do ok. Sometimes I see people with potted peppers, even in smaller pots than I use and their plants just look way better than mine.

• flchilehead
    10 years ago

Sorry for getting into this conversation so late but figured id chime in. Fafard is a brand name of potting mix. Only available in my area at wholesale nursery and landscape supply companies. I have mixed my own potting mixes for the past 2 years but tried the Fafard 51 this year and its good stuff. If you mix your own just be careful how much peat you use. I mixed a batch last year and added a little too much peat and lost almost every plant that i potted in that batch.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Sorry for not responding punkrotten, I had a plant sale this weekend to get ready for. But flchilehead got it (although where we are the local nursery sells it retail).

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

So I wanted to chime in and ask a question. I found Fafard 52 mix and its about $12 for 2.8 cu ft. Is 52 better or the same as 51? I aso cant find this anywehre near me so im ordering it from B&T Grower Supply Inc.'s website. Let me know what you all think.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Pepperguy - I've never used the 51 mix. When I was at a local nursery a couple of years ago I asked them about it, and their response was , the 51 is supposed to be a finer mix, more for seed starting. My friend loves it for starting her pepper seeds. Before you commit, check the shipping, price looks really good until you add shipping. I buy a lot of stuff from B&T, but when I priced the Fafard the shipping made it way too expensive (not bad mouthing B&T, shipping soil from anyone can be expensive).
    Pam

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Mark, it looks very healthy

Caelian

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz