Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigoledude

What is your favorite NON-bell sweet pepper

bigoledude
15 years ago

I bought some plants and seed for Corno de Toro, Spanish Spice, Sweet Banana and Cubanelle. Has anyone any experience with them?

Our very hot and humid summers makes growing bell-type peppers nearly impossible during the meat of the summer!

What SWEET non-bell types perform best for y'all? Please indicate if some of your choices have thicker flesh than say, a Banana pepper. I like peppers for grilling and also, the thicker fleshed ones for eating fresh and cooking.

Which varieties are more prolific for you?

Comments (9)

• rjswrath
    15 years ago

In my Region being 5 (Ohio) Sweet Italian "Marconni" they come in different colors, The green, (normal)from *almart were just as delicious as my "Ordered" Golds from Specialty shops, And they grow quite large in length compared to the regular Bell's. They also have a more flavorful "Smokie" blend of Flavor, They work great for Outdoor grilling,
    I might add that I had several more of these Pepper's on my plants last year (abt. 20 per plant) growing at the same time compared to 5-10 Regular Bell's. These Marconni pepper
    will "Compete" and "Win" in the garden !

I started most of the peppers (Sweet & Hot) from seed this year and found that they are also avid grower's from seed.

The Marconni's displayed a 2:1 ratio compared to the Bells
    at start-up ! With the flavor and growth of these plants
    I will stay with them,
    RJ

• fiedlermeister
    15 years ago

I liked Spanish Spice and have grown it for several years. Large pods, thick flesh, and tasty.

{{gwi:1167706}}

Other tasty favorites were:

Ornage Bell
    Super Shepherd
    GoldenTreasure

• fiedlermeister
    15 years ago

Included a bell. Sorry.

john

• gringojay
    15 years ago

spanish spice hybrid gets my vote ; beats cubanelle with taste/texture

• nc_crn
    15 years ago

Not to hijack the thread, but hopefully I'll have some non-bell sugar-sweet chili seed to pass out next season.

I don't know if fiedlermeister is going to grow any of the seed I gave to him, but I should have enough to pass out to everyone next winter.

I have the last (hopefully) informal trials going on this summer in a few points all over the country. Every seedling I've seen from locals growing the pepper look very similar so far. Hopefully, they'll all come true enough to type with vigor and fruit set that this sucker can be released into the wild.

• fiedlermeister
    15 years ago

Hey Will

I have cut way back this year but did include Crunch Sweet Orange. Planted 3 seeds and two have emerged so far at 7 and 9 days.

john

• web_of_hair
    15 years ago

Black Hungarians are great! Wait for them to fully ripen and WOW! one of the best peppers around, I do not now why this isn't a regular at grocery stores right beside the Jalapeno peppers

• nc_crn
    15 years ago

Thanks john/fiedlermeister...and thanks for the germination times.

If the plants survive and fruit give me a heads up and let me know what you think. I don't need any serious info, but if it's thick-ish fleshed, sugar/fruity (along with non-heat pepper flavor), and bright orange that's pretty much all I need to chalk it up as stable enough.

...and thanks again for the seeds. I've got a few in my garden, a few have gone to friends, and an assortment are going into a big mixed border perennial+vegetable garden. I've requested some pics of that last one mentioned.

• rdback
    15 years ago

The Cubanelle is a good pepper. I grew it once, but it didnÂt make the "grow again" list. I replaced it with Gypsy. I donÂt grow hybrids as a rule, but this is one of the exceptions. ItÂs also supposedly heat tolerant, which could be good for you.

I agree with rjswrath, the Marconi family of peppers (Golden, Purple, Red) are also very good. They are an Italian frying pepper with medium/thick walls. 6 - 10 inch fruits - 90 DTM for Golden and Purple, 120 for Red.

Grilling makes me think of Poblano. I grow Poblano L, which is a mulato - turns from dark green to a chocolate brown when ripe. They are sweet to me, but they do have a mild heat.

Good luck and have a great season.

Rick

Sponsored