Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stoneys_fatali

Picked up 2 plants today...okay, one for the wife.

stoneys_fatali
9 years ago

I finally got a Ghost! Have never grown a Bhut.
My local nursery is known for exotics. I saw Lemon drop today, 4 kinds of pequin..etc.
I met for the first time there today, someone as passionate about peppers as me!
He told me that they are (our local nursery) pretty true to type labled :-)

So here they are. To be transplanted tomorrow.

BTW, my wife loved the explosive ember ornamental :p

Comments (15)

• jutsFL
    9 years ago

You're a lucky guy... My ole' lady kinda hates my peppers :)
    ...I take that back, she hates the time I spend on them (and the hot ones) - she does really enjoy the more mild varieties that I have though...red bells, pablano, and (to an extent) the fresno's.

Jay

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Same with me Jay :-)

She loves the milds and sweets!

Does not want anything to do with my superhots..lol!

Stoney

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Stoney, those are very robust plants.
    I also happened to buy couple of'em a few days ago; One is Lemon Drop. Always wanted one and my seedling was destroyed by some critters. .
    The Other one is RED Habanero. @ $1.99/plnt I found them a bargain. They are a bit smaller than your Bhut.

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks seysonn!

Never grew a Lemon Drop. Are they hot? Sounds like it.

I'm very excited about the Ghost!

I'll keep you guys updated.

Stoney

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Stoney,
    I am growing the lemon Drop for the first time. I am sure they are hot but not super. I have also heard that they have specially nice flavor. I think Bruce knows all about them.

Here is a description from the net:
    Lemon Drop peppers are native to Peru. The plants grow as a vine that can reach 3 feet in height. The bright green leaves look similar to the leaves of other pepper species. In the summer, pretty, quarter-inch wide, white flowers appear. Because the flowers have both male and female parts, you only need one plant for fruit production. The 2- to 3-inch long fruit have a crinkled appearance reminiscent of lemon skin. The fruit have a heat level similar to cayenne peppers.

And an image:

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info!

Keep us posted on your Lemon Drop. Nice looking plant and pods!

Stoney

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dup removed.

Stoney

This post was edited by stoneys_fatali on Thu, May 29, 14 at 3:42

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Keep us posted on your Lemon Drop. Nice looking plant and pods!

Stoney
    %%%%%%%%%%%
    Stoney,
    That is not my plant. I just got the image from the net. heh
    My plant is about 6" now. It will be quite a while to see pods on it.

• kentishman
    9 years ago

I've grown Aji Lemon Drop the last three years, and it's one of my favorites. I used it last year in a couple of sauces. The picture above looks like mine, but mine have the typical smooth skin, not crinkled like a lemon. My plants grew about 2 ft tall, and they are good producers. I recommend this one. I've got plenty of seeds saved from last year if anyone is interested.

Tom

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tom, email sent.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

I picked up 2 plants myself today. Not Aji Lemon, Not Bhut, not even a pepper plant. I picked up 2 Yarrow plants. Mark my word... I will conquer the pests with mother nature!

Was real nice to see that Armstrong's had a bit of variety on the superhot front -- they had Bhuts, Scorps, Caribbean Red, and many other. Nice to see HOT hot finally going mainstream. I give credit to the younger generation! Thanks all you 20-30 somethings! Your choices in music suck, but thanks for the heat! ;)

Kevin

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Quote: "Your choices in music suck, but thanks for the heat! ;)"

Could not agree more with you Kevin!

My Armstrong was all out of Bhuts but my other local nursery got about 15 in and of course I looked at all of them before choosing the best one :-)

Do you have a picture of the Yarrow plant? Never heard of them.

Stoney

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Actually not a very pretty flowering plant, but they attract beneficials en masse, native, perennial, and drought tolerant.

I'M SOLD!

Here is a link that might be useful: Yarrow--- Achillea

• stoneys_fatali
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pretty!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

It is also medicinal.

Sponsored